PDA

View Full Version : Post-Rock

Neversoft
15-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Is anyone else here a fan of post-rock? I haven't actually met many people that listen to much music from the genre, but it does seem to have a very large and dedicated following. I seriously can't get enough of it. It's like the sheer power of rock combined with the emotion, beauty and at times delicacy of the piano to create one passionate, emotive tour de force. Post-rock has conveyed things to me that no other genres have even glimpsed.

For those unfamilar, post-rock includes bands like Sigur Rós, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Album Leaf, Caspain, Mono, If These Trees Could Talk, etc. Tracks are usually fairly long and often instrumental and work from very peaceful, delicate openings to a huge, soaring climax.

Examples...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU6TB8jet-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOuKdeZ2x-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIK5FaC38w

Hopefully everyone will at least give the first video a go, but since some won't have the patience to sit through a song longer than three minutes, the Sigur Rós track explodes at 1:54 and the third video, Your Hand in Mine, is absolutely brilliant around the four minute mark, with my favourite part at 4:40.

I can't say I've actually seen anyone on here mention post-rock before, and I'm well aware the genre is perhaps too loud and intricate for some, but surely there are other people here able to appreciate such music?

FlyingJesus
15-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Most of it's kinda boring, like prog-rock but softer. I can see elements of it being good in certain songs but the full instrumentals just don't do it for me - classical music is far superior for that sort of thing in my opinion

beth
16-03-2012, 06:40 AM
i quite like sigur ros, i did a play last year called mixtape which was 10 short plays improvised around 10 songs. and one of the songs was (checks) Í Gær and i really really liked it, i haven't really ventured much into the genre.

i don't really UNDERSTAND genres though tbh i never know what fits under what. i used to listen quite a bit to the mars volta and they reminded me a bit of sigur ros but i dunno.

jasey
16-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Oh, wow! Those were really interesting songs. While I can't say it is something I would put on my library, I can definitely appreciate the intricacies and beautiful values of that genre. I have never heard of it before. Thank you for posting!

Jazz
16-03-2012, 01:09 PM
its a nice genre, but not to my taste. I can see why people like it though aha

Plebings
16-03-2012, 11:11 PM
i don't actually know how to define post-rock, so i cheated and used wikipedia!

i'm a fan of M83 though, and i have been meaning to check out sigur and eits (since everyones heard hoppipolla)

forward russia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=41qfrdLnrRk#t=2619s)
the antlers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdWPV9uFHo)
**** buttons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWRi8O7gek)

Neversoft
17-03-2012, 02:39 AM
M83 is more electronic than post-rock, but his latest album (Hurry Up, We're Dreaming) contains a couple of tracks that could be considered post-rock, such as Echoes of Mine, This Bright Flash and My Tears Are Becoming a Sea. Other tracks like Wait, Midnight City and Steve McQueen wouldn't be considered post-rock, though. I'm glad it appears everyone has some kind of appreciation for the genre, in one way or another! Gonna check out the links you posted, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow because my laptop is about to die. Must dash!

Plebings
17-03-2012, 09:03 AM
well looking back, probably safe to say i missed the mark with those 3!

lower your eyelids to die with the sun is probably my favourite m83 song, and that seems to do the whole big buildup thing, i'm not that big a fan of hurry up, don't think i've given it that fair a chance though.

wixard
17-03-2012, 10:27 AM
yes your hand in mine LOVE IT
rest of explosions in the sky meh

my fav would prob be this will destroy you - threads

Vause
17-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Oh, wow! Those were really interesting songs. While I can't say it is something I would put on my library, I can definitely appreciate the intricacies and beautiful values of that genre. I have never heard of it before. Thank you for posting!

This! Never heard of any of these artists but I'm kinda into it. Loving a few of 'em :)

Neversoft
17-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Plebings I'd say the first two have elements of post-rock (The Antlers one is amazing, by the way) but definitely not the last. You're right on with Lower Your Eyelids to Die With the Sun as well. Glad to see someone else on here listens to M83. I seem to appreciate Too Late from Saturdays = Youth the most (looking at my plays), but I think Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is one of the best albums ever.

wixard Even First Breath After Coma and So Long, Lonesome? :( Threads is pretty amazing, though I prefer The Mighty Rio Grande. But I haven't listened to This Will Destroy You all that much.

peteyt
18-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Not really sure what I've listened to in the genre apart from Sigur Ros. I became a fan of this while at University as our lecturer was a big fan and when it came to music video production he showed us a few - I've a few of their albums and some of their stuff is great to get you in a certain mood, some can be really beautiful, emotional and relaxing. I hear they are working on a new one.

I think with sigur ros it does show that music can be interpreted without really knowing the actual words and I do believe at least one of their songs was sang partly in a made up language yet it still is touching.

Neversoft
18-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Not really sure what I've listened to in the genre apart from Sigur Ros. I became a fan of this while at University as our lecturer was a big fan and when it came to music video production he showed us a few - I've a few of their albums and some of their stuff is great to get you in a certain mood, some can be really beautiful, emotional and relaxing. I hear they are working on a new one.

I think with sigur ros it does show that music can be interpreted without really knowing the actual words and I do believe at least one of their songs was sang partly in a made up language yet it still is touching.

Yeah. The nonsense language they made up is called Vonlenska, and it was actually used first on their debut album, and a great deal since. Their third album is actually sung entirely in that language, because they wanted people to create their own meanings for the songs and to decide what the lyrics meant to them personally. The Sigur Rós song I posted on the first page is largely in Vonlenska, only the last part is actually in Icelandic. I can understand it seeming very pretentious and stupid to some, but I genuinely find their approch to music absolutely engrossing. Surprised Jonsi is even able to remember such unintelligible lyrics during their live shows.

Neversoft
22-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Thought I'd share this wonderful ambient post-rock goodness. It makes me reflect so much. So many emotions. Ahh, music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqh1S87pwlQ

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!