PDA

View Full Version : King Tupou V of Tonga dies

-:Undertaker:-
20-03-2012, 10:03 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116880/King-George-Tupou-V-Tonga-mourning-death-colourful-Oxford-educated-king.html

Tiny island nation of Tonga in mourning after death of its eccentric Oxford-educated king

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/19/article-0-1239A68B000005DC-187_634x403.jpg

He took great pleasure in dressing in colonial uniform - complete with white pith helmet and shiny brass - and travelling around his island domain in his personalised London cab.

But now the wonderfully eccentric King of Tonga is dead. Oxford-educated King George Tupou V passed away in a Hong Kong Hospital at the age of 63, the cause of death believed to be linked to kidney problems - just six months ago he had successful surgery to have a kidney removed following the discovery of a tumour.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/19/article-0-1239A511000005DC-344_634x480.jpg

His death will leave the South Pacific without one of its most colourful characters, for King Tupou enjoyed sailing model boats in his tiny palace swimming pool, playing computer games, wearing that pith helmet, goggles and riding pants as well as staging Agatha Christie-type murder mysteries for his friends in the Tongan capital of Nuku-'alofa. He caused a storm among his people at one stage when he said Tongans were squatters who 'left to their own devices they would urinate in the elevators. As it is, they see nothing wrong with allowing their pigs to run all over their townships leaving pig droppings everywhere.'

Tupou was sworn in as king of the former British-protected state - and which is now an independent kingdom while remaining in the Commonwealth - in September 2006 following the death of his father, King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV. His coronation was delayed for two years because Tongans were protesting against the slow pace of political reform. When he was finally crowned, more than 200 nobles and chiefs attended the ancient Tongan ceremony when dozens of slaughtered pigs and hundreds of baskets of food were presented to him.

He was also offered a bowl of kava, bringing back memories, perhaps, of the time when he sampled his first alcohol as a five-year-old at a garden party when Queen Elizabeth visited the tiny island kingdom. That drink marked the beginning of a life of fine living, resulting in the adult Tupou suffering crippling gout.

Despite his eccentricities, he promised his country he would work at bringing about democracy and within two years of his coronation the people of the 176 islands lying between New Zealand and Hawaii were able to vote in their first popularly-elected parliament, bringing to an end 165 years of feudal rule.

The king's death came as a shock to the kingdom of 100,000 people - earlier this month, when he met Pope Benedict in the Vatican he had appeared healthy. His passing, pro-democracy politician Akilisi Pohiva said today, was a potential financial disaster for the kingdom, which has been on the edge of financial default for the last year. It is expected that the king's body will arrive in New Zealand later this week before being transported back to Tonga for a state funeral. King Taupou, who was unmarried but who has a daughter outside marriage, will be succeeded by his brother Tupouto'a Lavaka Ata, 47, who was with the king when he died in Hong Kong.

I love anything to do with royalty and all respect to the King of Tonga, may he rest in peace. You can see the influence British royalty and the memory of the Empire has had on the robes of the King and the ceremonies, it's living history and we and Tonga are so lucky to have it as are many other Monarchies around the world.

Thoughts?

Technologic
20-03-2012, 01:08 PM
What is life without a bit of eccentricity? He did a lot for the country so rest in peace.

Lee
20-03-2012, 02:08 PM
RIP :(

GommeInc
21-03-2012, 12:46 AM
This is the first time I've heard of him. He seemed like quite a fun King to have :P I hope his life will be celebrated, seeing as he doesn't appear to have a history of violent thought and actions on his people. RIP seems a weird thing to say to someone who probably wouldn't want that much peace :P

jasey
21-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Rest in peace! It is clear he was a good king!

beth
21-03-2012, 01:49 AM
rest in peace, i am moved by this loss. cocaine is too.

ihatehash
21-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Lets be honest, how many of you actually knew anything about Tonga before reading this?

-:Undertaker:-
21-03-2012, 04:25 AM
Lets be honest, how many of you actually knew anything about Tonga before reading this?

I did yes, any other questions?

Did you?

jasey
21-03-2012, 04:28 AM

I did. Geography is one of my major passions.

Grig
21-03-2012, 07:35 AM
He did a lot to democratize the island and remove some of his powers in turn.

Although he died in the hospital where I get treated in if I break bones etc., that was pretty cool LOL.

R.I.P.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!