PDA

View Full Version : Google: Project Glass

Chippiewill
04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6W4CCU9M4
I love these kinds of videos, but this one is actually very believable, it's like Google Goggles on steroids.

JerseySafety
04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
oh that is very cool, awesome video like an inspirational movie trailer.

Chippiewill
04-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I like to think of this the one after the minority report type interaction, we're getting all the cool kinect stuff, now we need some augmented reality going on.

Amberr
04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
That is brilliant i love watching these sort of videos aswell. The thing is you can actually imagine people doing that in a few yearstime.

Andii
04-04-2012, 10:11 PM
lmao awwww loveeeee theseeee videos :D

:odey:
04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Love this :o! Really nice video :)

Jordy
04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Remarkable how pretty much all the technology for this is all readily available. I read a fascinating article last week about how it's not socially acceptable to talk into smartphones or computers yet and the sooner it does, the better. Even computer geeks feel uncomfortable using Siri at the moment so it's got a long way to go even if it's all fairly "doable".

+rep

GommeInc
04-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Remarkable how pretty much all the technology for this is all readily available. I read a fascinating article last week about how it's not socially acceptable to talk into smartphones or computers yet and the sooner it does, the better. Even computer geeks feel uncomfortable using Siri at the moment so it's got a long way to go even if it's all fairly "doable".

+rep
Well talking into a smartphone to have it do mundane tasks seems to be against the simple power of the human mind to get your finger and do it yourself, with the possibility of it being quicker to do that way too :P It's interesting, but socially awkward to treat an electrical device as an underwriter, secretary or personal assistant when it can be done quietly. Imagine if everyone on a bus talked to their phones to send texts, you'd get interesting gibberish with each smartphone getting confused with the mix of conversations going on, and potentially sensitive information being blurted out :P

I can imagine man turning into the humans seen in Wall-E - fat, lazy and mind-derped, for want of a better description :P

Do you remember what article it was? It seems like an interesting read :)

Jordy
04-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Well talking into a smartphone to have it do mundane tasks seems to be against the simple power of the human mind to get your finger and do it yourself, with the possibility of it being quicker to do that way too :P It's interesting, but socially awkward to treat an electrical device as an underwriter, secretary or personal assistant when it can be done quietly. Imagine if everyone on a bus talked to their phones to send texts, you'd get interesting gibberish with each smartphone getting confused with the mix of conversations going on, and potentially sensitive information being blurted out :P

I can imagine man turning into the humans seen in Wall-E - fat, lazy and mind-derped, for want of a better description :P

Do you remember what article it was? It seems like an interesting read :)I was fairly confident I read it on the BBC but I've just had a search for you and can't find it at all so I might be wrong, I do apologise.

Hmm that is a point, some conversations won't be appropriate for reading out aloud but then again I've been on many trains and buses and heard business people or lovey dovey couples having inappropriate phonecalls (Confidential information or simply just overtly sexual). I sometimes get the impression people on mobile phones deliberately shout to show off their "self-importance" to everyone else. It's very annoying. So to conclude I suppose you'll get morons blurting out inappropriate text messages and people like me who will probably choose to type them (and give evils to the others in the hope they'll shut up).

For a lengthy email or text though I imagine it would be much quicker to speak it aloud than type it, but the problem with that at the moment is, it simply isn't that accurate but a few years time and I'm sure times will change :)

peteyt
05-04-2012, 02:54 AM
I'd rather not wear the glasses myself. It would be good if this could be done without the glasses and still some people would wonder who you where talking to but I suppose people would get used to it if it caught on.

=Lizzy
05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/04/article-2125139-1277D4DC000005DC-896_306x423.jpg
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2125139/Google-Project-Glass-video-Glasses-layer-Maps-email-web-searches-OVER-view-world.html

heres a picture of them.. i'm not too keen on them they look weird

Chippiewill
05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I'd rather not wear the glasses myself. It would be good if this could be done without the glasses and still some people would wonder who you where talking to but I suppose people would get used to it if it caught on.The time to get it to contact lenses could take a while (The only plausible solution within 50 years..) since the electronics have to be shrunk down enough that they won't be in your vision. Although beyond 50 years we may get neural interfaces instead or implants behind the retina, the difficult here though is they have to make the electronics power efficient enough to run off body-heat or tapping off electro-chemical energy.

heres a picture of them.. i'm not too keen on them they look weird
I suspect they could fit it into just the rims within 3-4 years and use a transparent OLED display over the entire lens as well.

It's interesting, but socially awkward to treat an electrical device as an underwriter, secretary or personal assistant when it can be done quietly.
I think as phones do more for us with audio input social trends will change to suit and unlike now where we're actively speaking to our phones and consciously aware of that fact in the future we'll be thinking about what we're actually doing talking to a machine as much as we do when we have a conversation with people today. And once we start forgetting that it's a machine we'll stop "putting on a voice" so that it can hear us (If you've ever tried using siri you'll probably find that you don't speak to it normally).

Recursion
05-04-2012, 07:21 PM
The time to get it to contact lenses could take a while (The only plausible solution within 50 years..) since the electronics have to be shrunk down enough that they won't be in your vision. Although beyond 50 years we may get neural interfaces instead or implants behind the retina, the difficult here though is they have to make the electronics power efficient enough to run off body-heat or tapping off electro-chemical energy.

I suspect they could fit it into just the rims within 3-4 years and use a transparent OLED display over the entire lens as well.

I think as phones do more for us with audio input social trends will change to suit and unlike now where we're actively speaking to our phones and consciously aware of that fact in the future we'll be thinking about what we're actually doing talking to a machine as much as we do when we have a conversation with people today. And once we start forgetting that it's a machine we'll stop "putting on a voice" so that it can hear us (If you've ever tried using siri you'll probably find that you don't speak to it normally).

Personally, I don't see the voice input taking off. The implementations nowadays require more effort to bring up the voice interface, speak, wait for the apps to load or whatever rather than just hitting the Google icon on your home screen and typing what you want.

peteyt
05-04-2012, 11:40 PM
The time to get it to contact lenses could take a while (The only plausible solution within 50 years..) since the electronics have to be shrunk down enough that they won't be in your vision. Although beyond 50 years we may get neural interfaces instead or implants behind the retina, the difficult here though is they have to make the electronics power efficient enough to run off body-heat or tapping off electro-chemical energy.

Intresting. I am just wondering how many people on here would actually get something like this implanted to them.

The idea does sound cool but at the same time, I am not sure if I would take it if it was there - Technology is good if you can use it and then take it off when you want. I think if it was integrated with us it could maybe ruin some parts of life and upgrading wouldn't be the easiest thing.

Would anyone get this done?

Seikou
06-04-2012, 12:34 AM
love the video!

Aaron
06-04-2012, 01:20 AM
I love this. Would love to see this! :)

Jack!
06-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Google co-founder spotted wearing a Prototype model of em.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/06/google-project-glass-sergey-brin/

JerseySafety
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Just done more research looks interesting but dunno if it will work, seems very cool tho

Jurv
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
this looks really interesting. it would be great to see them released sometime soon. the technology is fantastic.

beth
06-04-2012, 10:26 PM
i saw something on tumblr which would be what i would do with project glass all day everyday:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m21i13n9VW1qz4u07o1_500.gif

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m21i13n9VW1qz4u07o2_r1_500.gif

even when driving. hahahah.

SackRace
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
i love this, awesome video!!

Oleh
07-04-2012, 01:03 AM
I would love this, only if it looked like the scouter off DBZ

http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/5/5e/ScouterPinkNV.png

Chippiewill
07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Slightly corrected version of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRF0rBXIeg

Mollie
07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I think it's just going too far. They could do all of this in a handheld device anyway. Being able to see it everywhere, quite literally, is just so lazy and yeah I don't think it's necessary. Not saying it wouldn't be cool, cause it so would.
I don't think the voice recognition thing would be anywhere near as good as it looks in the video either.

peteyt
08-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Slightly corrected version of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRF0rBXIeg

Ha love it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!