PDA

View Full Version : DDR: Do you count it as a sport?

CrazyLemurs
05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Hello everyone! This is kind of like a debate xD, but it's not really
Technically, DDR is a sport is Norway, as 'Machine Dance'. There is a petition to make it a North American sport somewhere too, but what do you think?
It's certainly more physical than some other sports (like chess), but lots of people consider it to be simply a game you find at the arcades?
I myself think that DDR (Dance Machine or Dancing Stage in other places) is as valid a sport as any other. What do YOU believe?

beth
05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
omg i love ddr i used to actually play it online competitively (stepmania, google it) but it's too hard on a laptop hahaha. i think of it as a sport, sure. there's a competition and it's so active. some of the insane modes are so quick it's unreal.

Samantha
05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I suppose you could class it as a sport as I don't think there are any set guidelines as to what can or cannot be a sport. Do you mean dance machines in arcades too as I'll class that as a sport as I fail at it but then again.I tend to fail at most aporta. Also it can be played competitively so why not.

Charlie
05-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Never really considered it but I guess you could, dancing could be seen as sport so I don't see why DDR couldn't be classed a sport also.

beth
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
i think it's not seen so much as a sport here in the uk but in japan (and korea i think) it's absolutely massive, they have massive competitions and conventions and there's huge cash prizes at stake.

CrazyLemurs
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes Samanfa;
Like the giant ones with the up, down, left and right arrows and the loop thing behind it to hold onto if you're a pro ;)
I actually hate using those but I'm learning to move songs down to standard and doing more dance than spam
If you're good, you either play the hard songs and do really well, or do easier songs and be jumping off and on the pads with a partner, it's more dance-like.

Kasabian
05-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Really don't agree with your logic behing DDR being a sport. Is it, or is it not on a dance mat, connected to an LCD screen? Therefore making it a game.

If you want to be technical, it's a sport game. As is FIFA.

David
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Really don't agree with your logic behing DDR being a sport. Is it, or is it not on a dance mat, connected to an LCD screen? Therefore making it a game.

If you want to be technical, it's a sport game. As is FIFA.

I agree with this, it's a sport game. regardless of interactivity. I suppose you'll create a thread on the Wii being a sport next?

CrazyLemurs
05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I understand it's a game, but it is physically close to real dancing. FIFA is nothing like real football.

Shockwave.2CC
05-04-2012, 06:22 PM
DDR (Dance Dance Revolution), I use to be amazing at that from the year 1999 - 2005. But then i reilised it was taking all my money so I stopped.

DDR should be a sport *thumbs up*

dbgtz
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
It's a sport simulation if you would want to be technical about it.

Besides the only thing that is a sport is a childrens card game.

Kasabian
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I understand it's a game, but it is physically close to real dancing. FIFA is nothing like real football.

I play football on Xbox Kinect, I'm kicking an imaginary ball thats on screen, that is like football, and is physically close to real football. It's not a sport.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!