PDA

View Full Version : UKIP on 11% nationally with Liberal Democrats

-:Undertaker:-
07-04-2012, 11:54 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126641/This-Government-chums-say-damning-new-poll.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

This is a Government of chums, say six out of ten in damning new poll

- Nearly two out of three say entry to Mr Cameron’s elite inner circle depends on ‘who you know’
- Three out of ten said George Osborne was a 'snob'
- Ratings of Boris Johnson show that it is possible to have a privileged background and still be popular

David Cameron is running a ‘Government of chums’ where ‘who you know’ matters more than ‘what you know’ – and he is becoming dangerously out of touch with voters as a result. That is the finding of a new poll in the wake of the longest run of political and public-relations blunders by the Tories, many self-inflicted, since Mr Cameron became Prime Minister. The hostile reaction to the ‘granny tax,’ the ‘pasty tax,’ the petrol panic and the Downing Street ‘donorgate’ scandal appears to have led to a growing feeling that Mr Cameron and his Ministers are elitist and remote.

The phrase ‘a Government of chums’ was first coined in a leader column in The Mail on Sunday last week, which asserted that ‘a small group of people from very similar backgrounds, who have known each other for years, are running the country mainly by talking to each other – and to nobody else’. The idea was then taken up by former Tory Cabinet Minister Norman Tebbit in The Times the following day. Now, a poll by Survation for The Mail on Sunday provides convincing evidence that the public concurs. More than six out of ten say Mr Cameron heads a ‘Government of chums’ – fewer than one in seven disagree.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/07/article-0-1281BB4E000005DC-877_468x719.jpg

Nearly two out of three say entry to Mr Cameron’s elite inner circle depends on ‘who you know’ against just one in five who say ‘what you know’ matters more. Perhaps the most damning verdict came when voters were shown two photographs of Mr Cameron – one in his Oxford University Bullingdon Club days and a more recent one showing him dressed in jeans drinking a pint of beer in a pub – and then asked to identify the ‘real David Cameron’. The Bullingdon Club emerged as the ‘real Cameron’ by a margin of 63 per cent to 37 per cent. Nearly three-quarters of the population view the Conservatives as ‘out of touch’ and 61 per cent say the Tory leader is ‘more style than substance’. The rest of the Cabinet fares little better when it comes to sharing the pain of the recession. Nearly seven out of ten say that Ministers are not personally committed to their ‘we’re all in it together’ slogan.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/07/article-2126641-12663705000005DC-322_224x423.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/07/article-2126641-0BA40D2400000578-276_224x423.jpg
Unpopular: Only one in ten regard state school-educated Ed Miliband as a snob, yet a mere five per cent would want to sit next to him at dinner, making him a less popular guest than ex-Labour MP George Galloway

But the poll shows the Budget backlash is fading, with Labour’s lead down to five points from its eight-point margin two weeks ago. Labour now stands at 35 and the Tories 30. Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg’s woes grow as anti-EU party UKIP has caught up with his Lib Dems on 11 per cent. Mr Cameron will be relieved that despite the Budget backlash, he still beats Mr Miliband on economic trust by 34 per cent to 26. And Mr Miliband’s lack of flair remains a fatal flaw: only one in 33 say he has charisma, against 17 per cent for Mr Cameron.

If the BBC and the media won't give this story coverage, then I will.

I cannot think of a moment like this before in modern electoral history that a smaller party has risen to such a number in the polls. The SDP in the 1980s is the only similar example I can think of and that was a very different beast, formed by a Labour civil war as opposed to a grassroots flight as we see here with UKIP. Although going back to my first point though - notice there's no mention of this on the news? I would bet a fair amount of money that if a Green Party or another wet party was on 11% the BBC would be all over it.

On a sidenote, it doesn't look good for the Conservatives presently, not good at all.

Thoughts?

Ajthedragon
08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I think you're over-exaggerating slightly. All three political parties are extremely out-of-touch presently, granted. However I don't think the public are ready to jump ship to smaller parties yet, especially with the current electoral system (although one could argue that George Galloway proves that point wrong, but there were some exceptional circumstances there).

I think the real problem in this country lies in that the electorate have no faith in the political system itself.

And as you say, the BBC is bias to the three main political parties and the annoying left-wing 'Green' parties, so with that in mind unless there is a mass defection by Tory MPs I can't see the situation changing, although here's to hoping (not going to happen) we adopt AMS and give the small parties a better chance.

RyRy
13-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I think you're over-exaggerating slightly. All three political parties are extremely out-of-touch presently, granted. However I don't think the public are ready to jump ship to smaller parties yet, especially with the current electoral system (although one could argue that George Galloway proves that point wrong, but there were some exceptional circumstances there).

I think the real problem in this country lies in that the electorate have no faith in the political system itself.

And as you say, the BBC is bias to the three main political parties and the annoying left-wing 'Green' parties, so with that in mind unless there is a mass defection by Tory MPs I can't see the situation changing, although here's to hoping (not going to happen) we adopt AMS and give the small parties a better chance.

You may be right that the public aren't ready to jump ship to other parties yet, but we've got a couple of years before the next general election, so I think you'd be naive not to think they could by then. BBC may be bias towards the three main parties, but essentially when UKIP starts winning more seats, BBC will have to broadcast it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!