PDA

View Full Version : do you and yr friends have similar tastes in music?

beth
09-04-2012, 06:40 PM
i was wondering this earlier basically because at the moment i am actively struggling to find people to go to gigs with (sob sob).

do you and yr friends share similar tastes in music? for me i would say no. when i was at school, i definitely did and it kind of defined our friendship group. we were all really into fall out boy and panic and the whole "emo" (trololol) scene there was back then, we used to go to gigs together and shop around in that music culture.

however over the years, the majority of my friends (minus a couple) have gone more mainstream and/or stopped enjoying music at all really, i suppose it's part of growing up but i have stayed more alternative than the rest of them and it really sucks when i wanna go to gigs or something cause they'd all rather go see jessie j sob sob.

i do have one friend though who still kinda listens to some music similar to me, but in more of a nostalgic way. whereas i listen to new artists from the "post-hardcore" genre she sticks to older bands as a way of staying young. brand new, lostprophets etc etc. and we can go to gigs together of bands she used to like but i still do (enter shikari woooo)

so yeah how about you?

David
09-04-2012, 06:42 PM
irl they actually dont, but Kasabian; likes similar to me except that **** enter shikari ;) ;)
feels like everyones into the new age stuff like justin bieber and katy perry and i think they're all horrible :(

cocaine
09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
yeah similarly, i have a few friends who like heavier stuff, some that like generic rock (killers etc) that i could just about bear to see. but most of them like crappy pop music.

beth
09-04-2012, 06:56 PM
irl they actually dont, but Kasabian; likes similar to me except that **** enter shikari ;) ;)
feels like everyones into the new age stuff like justin bieber and katy perry and i think they're all horrible :(

there's nothing wrong with enter shikari daveydot!!!!

and i agree with the "new-age" stuff, i enjoy pop too and some current songs i do really get into but it would seem all the majority of my friends do in terms of music now is click "top lists" on spotify and listen to the most popular songs on repeat :(

Neversoft
09-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Me and my best friend have an insanely similar taste in music and have done for years. If I find a new band or a fabulous song, she's my person to go to and I must show her! We're always recommending each other music, and I don't think a day goes by where it doesn't pop up in our conversation. Me and my other friends don't share as similar a taste, but we all generally have a couple of bands in common, and two of my closest friends are very open and diverse when it comes to music, so we can really appreciate each others tastes in one way or another.

dirrty
09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
ish. all my friends (from home) love indie music which i hate, and my uni friends like some music that's similar to my tastes, but they generally also like indie, rock, metal etc. i suppose that's what i get for being the token in all my friendship groups.

Rozi
09-04-2012, 07:12 PM
my friends are far more into indie but generally we have similar sort of style of songs we like. Thankfully the majority of them love urban styles too yayyyy otherwise I couldn't stand it.

Sharon
09-04-2012, 07:30 PM
um yeah we all like the same stuff, no one knows i luv kpop though, they'd probs find it weird

kitten
09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
nope, not at all, they don't even know what i like..

FlyingJesus
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Nope like 2 of my friends are into rap but one of them cares more about production and thinks West coast is better than East coast (what) and the other thinks Limp Bizkit are good (megawhat). One of my ex's listens to Something Corporate on occasion, no-one I know listens to Get Up Kids/Britney/Mariah/Hanson, couple of friends like trance but not in the same way that I do. Basically just no

Richie
09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
ye we do, they listen to similar things i listen to.

beth
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Nope like 2 of my friends are into rap but one of them cares more about production and thinks West coast is better than East coast (what) and the other thinks Limp Bizkit are good (megawhat). One of my ex's listens to Something Corporate on occasion, no-one I know listens to Get Up Kids/Britney/Mariah/Hanson, couple of friends like trance but not in the same way that I do. Basically just no

legit thought people only listened to limp bizkit cause they're so bad it's funny. they have FANS?!?!?

FlyingJesus
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
He also listens to (hed) Planet Earth although he does acknowledge that they're terrible

Cerys
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Nope.

I listen to stuff like MCR, P!ATD and WATIC. (Loving the acronyms ;) )

My friend listens to new, popular rubbish like Rhianna etc.

geo
09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Not at all. I guess I do like anything other than Screamo so they kinda like my chart music but half of them are clueless about the artists I like. My friends don't know who You Me At Six, Mumford & Sons, Bombay Bicycle club and many more are! They're always ranting on about how my music taste is ****, oh well. As long as I enjoy it.

FlyingJesus
09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Nope.

I listen to stuff like MCR, P!ATD and WATIC. (Loving the acronyms ;) )

My friend listens to new, popular rubbish like Rhianna etc.

Rihanna had her debut 5 years before WATIC lol

AddictedToHTID
09-04-2012, 10:05 PM
No, not at all.

Cerys
09-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Rihanna had her debut 5 years before WATIC lol

That's really good to know...? Don't see how it fits in with my post, tbh!

Jurv
09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
not really. there's only one of my friends who share similar music tastes to me and that's probably why we get on so well. most of my other friends listen to mainly either chart music or more heavier genres of rock. saying that tho, there's probably quite a few of my friends who like adele's and possibly lana del rey's music as they are both quite modern and well known. by the time i go to college and leave school i'm hoping to meet some new people and hopefully share music interests, haha.

FlyingJesus
09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
new, popular rubbish like Rhianna etc.

That's how...

Cerys
09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
That's how...

I still don't see your point of how you said that she was around before WATIC.

I said new popular rubbish music because that's what it is. New as in after 2000.

Yeh WATIC is new, but not really popular and not rubbish... Sooo

Edit: rhianna was only an example o_o

FlyingJesus
09-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Bless you thinking that music taste isn't subjective and that anything classed by you as "rubbish" cannot be certified as anything but

Cerys
09-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Bless you thinking that music taste isn't subjective and that anything classed by you as "rubbish" cannot be certified as anything but

Anything classed as rubbish, by me, is rubbish in my opinion xD

beth
09-04-2012, 10:51 PM
what the hell is a watic when it's at home.

Cerys
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
what the hell is a watic when it's at home.

WATIC = we are the in crowd

FlyingJesus
09-04-2012, 10:57 PM
I actually had to google them as they're new popular rubbish and not what I like to listen to

Cerys
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I actually had to google them as they're new popular rubbish and not what I like to listen to

They're not popular, hun x

beth
09-04-2012, 11:06 PM
i had a listen and they sound exactly like a band who missed the fueled by ramen boat by 5 years.

wixard
10-04-2012, 12:06 AM
SO ANYWAY BACK TO THE QUESTION

yeah electronica, house, and a ton of made up genres at this stage
we all have our own specific taste though we're going to bloc weekend and everyones excited for different reasons

erm i also have my little indie side I'M SORRY generic songs about love played acoustically just get to me.
the rest of them are into dancehall which i'll listen to when out, i'll go to reggae nights but i would never choose to listen in my own time
vybz kartel shudder

dirrty
10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
SO ANYWAY BACK TO THE QUESTION

yeah electronica, house, and a ton of made up genres at this stage
we all have our own specific taste though we're going to bloc weekend and everyones excited for different reasons

erm i also have my little indie side I'M SORRY generic songs about love played acoustically just get to me.
the rest of them are into dancehall which i'll listen to when out, i'll go to reggae nights but i would never choose to listen in my own time
vybz kartel shudder
i like your friends! i wish my friends liked reggae, dancehall, ragga etc. :(

beth
10-04-2012, 12:26 AM
one thing we all have in common (friends from school anyway) is we all love urban/rnb/dancehall classics. at my school there was only 5 "white"/british girls in my class so i basically was a part of jamaican culture for almost 6 years. i ******* loved it.

these 2 songs basically sum up my years at school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKVB3G9mU_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg0qluaxpOo

FiftyCal
10-04-2012, 12:29 AM
MOST of my friends all listen to mainstream pop rap or whatever it on the billboards. I usually avoid it and listen to older stuff or anything thats not so popular, all i hear is kids cranking up their stereos in their car listening to Lil Wayne or wiz khalifa

Neversoft
10-04-2012, 12:30 AM

Ironic, that. Isn't it, Tom? :P

samsaBEAR
10-04-2012, 10:48 AM
They're not popular, hun x
And thank the lord for that!

I make friends based on music taste so every one of my friends has more or less the same taste as myself. Having said that I never care to meet new people so it had been the same four/five people for a long time now

buttons
10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
the type of music people listen to doesn't bother me at all and i never make assumptions about them unless they jam it down my throat telling me their music is better than mine. thankfully no-one shares my love for korean music other than one guy who i rarely see but most of my friends listen to chart music (not exclusively ;)) which means there are no arguments when we're together and listening to music. besides, chart music is pretty decent for getting into the party mood.

Plebings
10-04-2012, 06:56 PM
real friends - not really.
bethany; and Judas; have similar taste, but really it doesn't bother me, if i want to share my mega elitism i'll post on some music forums.

Judas
10-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I share taste with a lot of my friends but there are a lot of bands/artists that I like who they don't/I do etc. Like a lot of my friends don't like Lady Gaga et c they'd prefer to listen to other pop singers like Rihanna, but then all my best friends love Kanye as much as I do etc so it's okay. Only one of my friends like Nirvana outside of Smells Like Teen Spirit tho smh

real friends - not really.
bethany; and Judas; have similar taste, but really it doesn't bother me, if i want to share my mega elitism i'll post on some music forums.

xoxoxo

Jordan
10-04-2012, 10:24 PM
A couple of people do share similar tastes, especially when we were a lot younger. But obviously as we grow up we get influenced by other things and now I feel not many people like the same stuff as me, which I'm fine with. I am into more of the chart stuff, but I do drift off that slightly sometimes if I hear something I like. My friends and others in school are more into the dubstep, rapping and I honestly don't have any interest in it, it bores me

Ant$
10-04-2012, 10:57 PM
I used to be a full on Metalhead and always just used to listen to metal. I'm more open minded now and i'm less of a music elitist. I can go from listening to dance music, dubstep all the way up to death metal. Suppose open minded is the best way to be.

Oleh
11-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes, we all like similar stuff etc rap, grime, dubstep etc

dirrty
11-04-2012, 01:25 AM
one thing we all have in common (friends from school anyway) is we all love urban/rnb/dancehall classics. at my school there was only 5 "white"/british girls in my class so i basically was a part of jamaican culture for almost 6 years. i ******* loved it.

these 2 songs basically sum up my years at school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKVB3G9mU_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg0qluaxpOo
lmao i remember when i first heard that top song and i was like wtf is rihanna on this :S prefer the other girl...idk her name. dutty wine is awesome tho. god i really wish my friends liked dancehall and reggae :( damn middle-class indie kids...

shiver
11-04-2012, 01:40 AM
no. no one likes britney and mariah as much as i do. i try to show them the light but they just won't listen!

beth
11-04-2012, 02:02 AM
lmao i remember when i first heard that top song and i was like wtf is rihanna on this :S prefer the other girl...idk her name. dutty wine is awesome tho. god i really wish my friends liked dancehall and reggae :( damn middle-class indie kids...

in the wrong part of the midlands hahahaha!!!

omg i forgot this one too, i remember dancing to these two on tables in my form room at school (wow) haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhf4YRLrt4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzhHNnM0Uls

dirrty
11-04-2012, 02:15 AM
in the wrong part of the midlands hahahaha!!!

omg i forgot this one too, i remember dancing to these two on tables in my form room at school (wow) haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhf4YRLrt4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzhHNnM0Uls
yeah, wouldn't have a problem if i lived in bham lmao. also would mean i'd never get ppl saying things like "oh i didn't know you were black enough to listen to songs like these" or "do you know what they're saying?!!? omg say something like them!!!"

FlyingJesus
11-04-2012, 02:38 AM
no. no one likes britney and mariah as much as i do. i try to show them the light but they just won't listen!

Feel your pain there!

Eric
11-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Not really. most of my friends like chinese and korean music. they don't even know about dubstep.

Succubus
11-04-2012, 06:47 AM
No, they say my music isn't even classed as music. It's either too "old" or too "heavy".
They are a really mainstream bunch so I find it hard to know what they talk about, tried showing them but they remove the ear phones in horror..
They haven't lived yet :rolleyes:

Jazz
11-04-2012, 09:07 AM
no they listen to justin bieber and stuff. im more emeli sande etc

Judas
11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Not really. most of my friends like chinese and korean music. they don't even know about dubstep.

Good for them. I wish I didn't know what dubstep is.

shiver
11-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Feel your pain there!
we are just too fabulous

Andeeh
11-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Yes most of my mates have similar taste theres like something similar with at least someone, when we find decent tracks we share with eachother too.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!