PDA

View Full Version : Have you changed in the past year?

Sharon
12-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Do you think you have changed personality/looks wise in the past year?

I personally think I have - but more on the personality side. I used to find it hard to disagree with people even if I didn't feel the same way on a topic. However a year later I think I can say that I think now and not worry about sharing the same opinion as others. I'd also say I'm maturer (does that make me big headed? it shouldn't.) and have actually found myself kind of drifting away from both the internet and the forum, starting to actually come to terms with life and being more social which is something I've wanted for a while. I'm also no where as argumentative as I was either, something that bugged people quite a bit. Oh and I've also learnt the difference between a simple crush and actually falling for someone badly, still not learnt how to get over people and deal with someone not feeling the same way... yet. However, this time next year - who knows? I'm a hell more independent too. Something really negative is that whilst recklessly falling for someone, I've stopped caring about education. Really effected me during this years exams because I was too busy concentrating on him, that I stopped listening in lessons and revising for exams because I was too busy on my phone messaging:rolleyes:. That's stopped now anyway and I'm not constantly on my phone anymore, got a few months to redeem myself.

I'M GOING ON. IT'S A TL;DR THING SO JUST DON'T BOTHER HEHE.

dirrty
12-04-2012, 02:00 AM
lookwise, everyone says i look completely different (in a better way) now that i have no hair, which is always a good thing i guess. besides that, not really. i haven't needed to change anything and i still act the same (which is both good and bad). i suppose my tastes in clothing has changed, but that changed like every year as i get bored easily.

Abbie.
12-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Look wise, but I think it's just because I'm more confident, and I'm more mature. I just know I've changed loads, can't pin down exactly what I mean

Neversoft
12-04-2012, 02:21 AM
Yes, a lot. At least in a mental sense. I have someone I truly care for, and they've broken down my wall. I've become incredibly vulnerable as a result, but at the same time have been able to feel truly happy. I feel grounded, more confident and less scared of the future and of my feelings. I've developed a new mentality towards a lot of things, and the world seems a little brighter. I've discovered what is important to me, along with a road to follow and some goals to achieve, and this is probably the most I have changed in a long time. To others I probably come across as more confident, more wide-eyed and less reserved than I was, and I feel happier and more purposeful.

buttons
12-04-2012, 02:29 AM
neversoft you are perfect

yeah last year was terrible. i totally closed off everything about my personality and felt ashamed to be myself. i feel better now that i can embrace it and say/do whatever the hell i want. it's who i am and no point repressing it. same with my appearance, i wear and do what i want to now, not what i'm told to or think i should do. last year was crazy for me and i tried so hard to control everything about myself and my life but it's really not worth it. live now.

last year i wouldn't have went out on a night out or even to lunch. i wouldn't allow myself to do dangerous things or express myself. sometimes i feel guilty and feel like i don't deserve to be happy but it's getting better. have spent more time with my nephew the past year and realize that life is joyful and precious and not something to be scared of. education wise i do feel like i'm struggling and wonder if it's all worth it but i know deep down that it is and to keep going.

i still have a lot to get over but it's fun to grow as a person :)

FlyingJesus
12-04-2012, 02:38 AM
I got happier.

There are pages and pages I could write to do with the whys and hows of it all and what I feel I've achieved since, but it really boils down to (and hopefully will continue with) me being happier. Things still aren't perfect and I still have a lot to learn, piece together, and come to terms with, but I'm getting there and for anyone having a particularly bad time it's an awful cliché but things really do get better.

The Don
12-04-2012, 02:40 AM
I’ve changed a ridiculous amount this past year in terms of personality. As I got my job about 13-14 months ago, I’ve had to interact with the public on almost a daily basis, this, as well as starting at a College where I only knew one person has gave me tremendous amounts of confidence, I never used to be confident, About 3 years ago I was overweight but slimmed back down to average after going on a diet, but I was still extremely unconfident from where I was once fat (went from a 38 inch waist down to a 32/34 and lost over 2 stone) However now I’m the complete opposite of how I once was, instead of staying in on Xbox, I enjoy going out and meeting new people (sounds like a dating ad :P) I know this sounds cheesy, but getting my Job literally changed my life in terms of my confidence and socially as I’ve made a lot of new friends at work and at college.

However, I would say I’ve also become less responsible when it comes to my budgeting, instead of saving money for petrol, I choose to go out clubbing, which some would argue makes me irresponsible. However I’m sort of getting out of that phase now.

Oh, and I've also developed a sleep disorder over the past two years...

GirlNextDoor15
12-04-2012, 03:30 AM
My personality has definitely changed a lot for the past 2 years. I used to care a lot about what other people think of me and totally restricted myself from doing almost everything. I was very insecure, indecisive, vulnerable and afraid of how people treat/judge me. Those alone gave me many problems including my deteriorating grades. I used to lock myself up in my room and overthink what others said about me. I took almost everything very seriously and blamed myself for family mishaps. And I myself felt very useless because people rarely pay attention to what I said. I didn't know why. Probably because I was still young and they thought what I said shouldn't be taken too seriously. However, things eventually got better and I feel better now. More confident? Yes for sure! And I am more mature, patient, caring and happy than I was before **** happened. Other than that, I also know that I mustn't take what others said too seriously. I've learnt how to improve myself to become a better person and as long as I know what's right and what's wrong, I have nothing to be afraid of.

Looks wise? I cut my hair really short last year to start a new life. I was trying to get over my past because it was the most painful thing I ever experienced after my grandmother's death. And now, I have my long straight hair back. :')

I'm happy for who I am and my past was really a turning point of my life. And I dare say I'm more prepared and ready to learn and enjoy life.

Blinger
12-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Hmm, I think so. I've learned how to look after yourself a hellova lot more since I moved outta home and back in with dad. Although since moving back home I've become slightly lazier again in the sense of not cooking for myself and keeping my room clean.
I've also changed my social life a **** load. About a year ago, it was absolutely ****. I would've seen my mates maybe 1-2 times every 6-8 weeks? Now it's every fortnight or so. I've also learned a bit about car audio, not much but I can no wire up an amplifier and radio/speakers system :).
Hmm, I also got a lot more independent after I went to England/Scotland solo.. UGHHHHHHHH, that is probably it?

Overall, yes I did change.

geo
12-04-2012, 08:22 AM
My personality has changed so much. This year has been one of the hardest years of my life because I'm not being myself and I hate that I can't be. I guess I'm so worried about what people will think of me that I try to act how they'd want rather than how I am. I'm really stressed over exams and then when I do badly in them I just get really upset although I'm the only person I can blame. I want to get GCSE's over and done with and consider colleges to go to, I really need a new start because it's killing me trying to impress others and do things that other people want rather than myself. I've become so much more sad and fragile, ha.

Rozi
12-04-2012, 08:09 PM
+repped the people that made me happy.

erm if I'm honest I don't think I've changed for the better or the worse. My mood swings have been so bad this year it's made it practically impossible for me to lead a stable life. I'm so disappointed with myself in terms of school and I've completely let myself down but I think I've learnt a fair bit about myself through the process.

I've learnt to treasure the more important things in my life and to embrace life fully when I feel good. I can't really remember what I was like a year ago but I think I've change a bit from a *+*girl 2 a woman*+* and yeah.

I made some really good friends, had fabulous times and really I'm sure that all these things have changed me. This past year hasn't been the year when I've made things perfect but I'm learning the steps to get there and I'm sure it'll be fab when I'm there :)

beth
12-04-2012, 08:18 PM
i've become a lot more cynical and bitter, and i suppose: adult.

this time last year i was going into my final term of freshers in a uni i knew i was going to be leaving, spent a lot of money and a lot of time out of my face so i could ignore what the future year held before i went back into education and then i woke up and the future was here.

i've learnt things and changed my perceptions on a lot of people and situations. i think i've finally learnt about the cliche of "finding out who yr real friends are" and i've found that when **** hits the fan you have to look to yrself to sort it out. so i've grown up.

i'm less free than i was a year ago, i have responsibilities now. a child to look after everyday (it's not mine tho, don't worry guiiz) and have to budget stuff around her aswell. i'm a lot more tied to birmingham.

i'm less happier than i was by a long long long long long long shot but i'm hoping with uni in september we can do this thread again next year and everything will be at least okay again.

InsaneIcon
12-04-2012, 08:29 PM
didn't really enjoy beginning of 2011, didn't have a pleasant time due to problems with my hair. But thats sorted, now I'm fine.

cocaine
12-04-2012, 08:33 PM
hell no i've gone downhill. but i'm very glad to hear 99% of this thread have moved onward and upward!

Ant$
12-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Alot happier.
I used to have long hair and just got fed up within myself. I didn't like the person i was and judged everybody which is rather stupid.

New haircut, new me and I'm really enjoying things atm.

kitten
13-04-2012, 12:41 AM
i think i've gone worse this year, i'm always in a bad mood with people, and i hate it. :(

lizzieTBH.
13-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Looks, not really, started occasionally wearing the slightest bit of make up but that's it. Personality I think has changed more. I'm more confident, nicer, less of a pushover and less shy. I've definitely changed for the better.

Jazz
13-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Here we go lols:

Personality: Improved so much. I have become a lot more happier through finally finding the right path in life. New medications help me a lot out as well. Also I finally accepted myself as a lesbian this year and came out the closet, so this has took a lot of this off my mind :-)

Looks: I've changed them a lot aswell, I never used to make an effort. I had long blonde hair scraped into a ponytail and wore nothing but football shirts and basic cheap jeans with trainers rofl. Now I have styled short red hair, and I wear half decent clothes ;-D

RyRy
13-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Yes I have, full-time work and dealing with pain in the cracks has made me a bit of a two-faced ***** who doesn't have much patience for anybody now. Been let down loads this past year, and I've found I've really been desensitized and given a new outlook on life. it's been a mad one, not gonna go into anymore detail than already said... yeh.

GoldenMerc
13-04-2012, 10:40 PM
prob realised that i finally want to settle down with a girl. not play around

Catchy
13-04-2012, 11:14 PM
To be honest I don't think there's one person who can say they haven't changed in the past year. We're forever changing and we're all forever making mistakes and then learning from them mistakes. Personally yeah I have changed, probably not so much looks wise I've looked the same for ages now nothings really changed there apart from maybe appearing to look a bit older. I do look back on pictures and think gosh I look young there (even though I still do look about 15 lol). Anyways on the personality side course I have changed, my opinions changed about various things since coming out of a relationship, I'm less naive let's just say and I generally do have more fun and don't have to worry constantly about stupid things. Relationships with some of my friends have grown stronger but some others have just come to a stand still because I've realised I can't be doing with certain people in my life, I'm at the point where I'm ready to move forward with my life and wont let anything get in the way of it. Generally though ye, I've changed a lot!

chantellehugs
14-04-2012, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't say I've changed, rather I'm still changing. Even now experiences and events change my perception on things, I'm definitely not the same as I was a year ago.
I think what caused me to start changing was when my Mum got ill in 2010, at first it was hard to cope but in the end I realised that I came out more mature and 'toughened' if you like. Since then I'm always looking back and thinking 'wow I was so silly and immature back then' but I'm glad I had my chance to be silly and like a child all the time because I'm still able to be immature now but with a level head.
Feel like I'm being myself more now, before I used to worry about what others might think but now I can't be bothered to worry, seems like such a trivial thing to worry over.
Guess this is physical but since starting college I've not once bitten my nails, quite weird because I never set out to stop biting them it just sorta happened. And my stammer is getting better, earlier in the week I managed to have a whole conversation without doing it and whilst talking I was thinking 'why am I not stammering?!' :D

Vause
14-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I've changed in the sense that I now know who to trust and who not too. I trusted to easily before but not now. Urgh.

Technologic
14-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Very much so, i'm fit and healthy. No longer ill so no longer stressed, going to med school in september so im just like **** yeaaah about that. I've been working out a lot so i'm a fair bit bigger, i'm tanned as hell and people say i look awesome (win). Also having a year off to just think about yourself is pretty good for the psyche, dealt with a lot of crap in the past 2 years so yeah.... I'm very different

Cerys
14-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Nope. Not at all tbh..

The only thing that has really changed about me is stress levels. School/home/social life just kills me atm xD

dbgtz
14-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I'd say the change from school to college has made me a bit more social, but I still retain a "closed" personality (not sure how else to word it). I also have probably worked more out of education then I ever have before towards exams, but that could be as there is more pressure and less lesson time. Having said that, I have done work which is unrelated to college and not a commerical job so I may get into tasks I don't actually want to do easier aswell.

Generally, I remain very similar to who I was a year ago.

shiver
15-04-2012, 10:57 PM
i think that uni has brought me out of my shell a lot, i used to be more than happy to have one group of friends and just get along fine with everyone else but now i enjoy talking to new people all the time, although i will always be close to my original group of friends. they are my angels. however, i still keep myself to myself a lot of the time, i never reveal anything about myself as i'm quite personal and don't feel comfortable talking about myself at all. i think i will stay that way foreva. overall i am happy, i was happy a year ago, so it's all good

looks wise have changed a lot i think, i dress like a weirdo. i neva used to.

luce
16-04-2012, 07:47 AM
yeah doesn't everybody in some way because you grow older everyday so there are obvious physical changes. Personality wise I have as well because i'm now 18 and stuff.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!