PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Editions

peteyt
20-04-2012, 10:30 PM
This has probably been mentioned at some point so I apologise if it has.

I read somewhere the other week about the editions that will be available for Windows 8 and really like the new streamlined approach. I found with both Windows Vista and 7 there where too many editions - while Microsoft might have wanted to give consumers choice it seemed to me to be something that could actually confuse consumers who might be unsure which edition to get.

There is now simply Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows 8 RT (for ARM devices such as tablets).

I think by removing the starter, home basic, home premium and ultimate edition they have made their editions clearer - it's easier to see which version is more suitable for you - e.g. basic users will by Windows 8, professionals professional edition and so on. One thing I read with Windows 7 was some small businesses weren't sure about the differences between ultimate which basically implies everything and the business edition, so removing ultimate does help.

xxMATTGxx
20-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Probably one of the best moves they have done to be honest.

Chippiewill
20-04-2012, 11:07 PM
This is a revolutionary idea:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Win_XP_Home_Pro_v_2002_OLD_original_coverbox.PNG/200px-Win_XP_Home_Pro_v_2002_OLD_original_coverbox.PNG
They've finally realised that home users don't want to choose, and that businesses need the same feature set across all business orientated versions.

Although Windows RT is kinda confusing with Windows NT, Windows E, and Windows N.

peteyt
21-04-2012, 12:26 AM
This is a revolutionary idea:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Win_XP_Home_Pro_v_2002_OLD_original_coverbox.PNG/200px-Win_XP_Home_Pro_v_2002_OLD_original_coverbox.PNG
They've finally realised that home users don't want to choose, and that businesses need the same feature set across all business orientated versions.

Although Windows RT is kinda confusing with Windows NT, Windows E, and Windows N.

Yeah I was thinking that. I thought something like windows mobile or something that explained easily what devices it would work on would be better as at first I didn't know what RT was and I'm not a novice so it could cause a few problems for some.

However I like the fact that they have simplified. I read an article about Windows 7 when it was first coming out about how someone thought Windows 7 was just right edition wise compared to Vista yet to me it just looked as bad really. This however is the right way to go in my opinion

Recursion
21-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Will be good, consumers will only need choose between Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro, although I don't see why they couldn't just scrap the Pro version, XP Home didn't sell nearly as well as Pro in the consumer market for example (or that's what it seemed anyway).

I hope Bitlocker is in Pro and not just Enterprise, it's a great tool.

xxMATTGxx
21-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Will be good, consumers will only need choose between Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro, although I don't see why they couldn't just scrap the Pro version, XP Home didn't sell nearly as well as Pro in the consumer market for example (or that's what it seemed anyway).

I hope Bitlocker is in Pro and not just Enterprise, it's a great tool.

It's in Pro. Enterprise:

Windows To Go. A new, fully manageable Windows 8 desktop that is installed to a bootable external USB flash device, enabling the “Bring Your Own PC” usage scenario. Employees can use Windows To Go on any company PC as well as from their home PC.

DirectAccess. A more modern take on VPN functionality, DirectAcess lets remote users seamlessly access corporate network resources without dealing with the hassles common to VPN solutions.

BranchCache. Aimed at distributed corporations, BranchCache lets servers and users’ PCs in branch offices cache files, websites, and other content, so that it is not repeatedly downloaded across the Internet by different users in the same location.

AppLocker. This feature provides white list and black list capabilities to control which files and applications that users or groups are allowed to run.

VDI enhancements. With updates to RemoteFX and Windows Server 2012, users can access virtualized instances of Windows 8 Enterprise from the data center and receive rich desktop experiences via thin clients, including, interestingly, Windows RT-based tablets.

Windows 8 (Metro-style) app deployment. Domain joined PCs and tablets running Windows 8 Enterprise will automatically be enabled to “side-load” internal, Windows 8 Metro style apps, bypassing the Windows Store.

Chippiewill
21-04-2012, 01:07 PM
XP Home didn't sell nearly as well as Pro in the consumer market for example (or that's what it seemed anyway).
It might have sold better on disc, but OEMs didn't want to pay the additional license fees for features their customers wouldn't use.

Recursion
23-04-2012, 03:25 PM
It's in Pro. Enterprise:

Windows To Go. A new, fully manageable Windows 8 desktop that is installed to a bootable external USB flash device, enabling the “Bring Your Own PC” usage scenario. Employees can use Windows To Go on any company PC as well as from their home PC.

DirectAccess. A more modern take on VPN functionality, DirectAcess lets remote users seamlessly access corporate network resources without dealing with the hassles common to VPN solutions.

BranchCache. Aimed at distributed corporations, BranchCache lets servers and users’ PCs in branch offices cache files, websites, and other content, so that it is not repeatedly downloaded across the Internet by different users in the same location.

AppLocker. This feature provides white list and black list capabilities to control which files and applications that users or groups are allowed to run.

VDI enhancements. With updates to RemoteFX and Windows Server 2012, users can access virtualized instances of Windows 8 Enterprise from the data center and receive rich desktop experiences via thin clients, including, interestingly, Windows RT-based tablets.

Windows 8 (Metro-style) app deployment. Domain joined PCs and tablets running Windows 8 Enterprise will automatically be enabled to “side-load” internal, Windows 8 Metro style apps, bypassing the Windows Store.

DirectAccess looks extremely good for remote access solutions, just a shame it heavily relies on both ends being able to route via IPv6.

peteyt
23-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Was just reading an article about issues with Windows 8 - Because of the use of both Metro and Aero a lot of people think Windows 8 is going to be another vista due to the annoyance of switching to non aero applications.

Not tried windows 8 myself but is this as annoying as people claim?

Recursion
23-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Was just reading an article about issues with Windows 8 - Because of the use of both Metro and Aero a lot of people think Windows 8 is going to be another vista due to the annoyance of switching to non aero applications.

Not tried windows 8 myself but is this as annoying as people claim?

In my opinion, yes it's annoying has hell switching backwards and forwards. I won't be rolling it out at all at work and hopefully by the time W9 is out it wont be my problem!

peteyt
23-04-2012, 06:45 PM
In my opinion, yes it's annoying has hell switching backwards and forwards. I won't be rolling it out at all at work and hopefully by the time W9 is out it wont be my problem!

Although that will be in a few years time. I read setting a theme so it appeared to be metro could sort this out.

Stephen!
27-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised that Windows to Go is only included on the Enterprise edition.

Recursion
27-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm surprised that Windows to Go is only included on the Enterprise edition.

I dunno, It's being touted as a highly secure, fully customizable Windows install for network administrators to dish out to temporary employees and the like. IMO makes perfect sense not to include it with any other edition.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!