PDA

View Full Version : Something to make you think...

myke
09-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I saw this on Facebook this morning... I was like ... ugh another video *watches* ... It really does make you think!

I'll let the video do the talking now.

WARNING Don't watch the video if you're of an emotional disposition ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR9gyloyOjM

So uhhh.. yeah. I can't even begin to think what pain this dude must've been through!

Vause
09-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Oh my god, I have just balled my eyes out at this. Being gay myself I am obviously behind the Equal love Equal rights. I do everything in my power to educate the people I know on things like this, such as my Mum, until 7 years ago she hated the idea of two same sex people being married, then when I came out, I've talked to her for many many years and she's finally realized the things we have to go through.

That poor poor man, my heart goes out to him. Such a sad loss.

-:Undertaker:-
10-05-2012, 12:12 AM
In relation to the United Kingdom, I oppose the measures the government currently proposes for gay 'marriage' and fully back the Coalition for Marriage (C4M) (http://c4m.org.uk/) on the grounds that I do not think the state should be involved in defining marriage. It is true however that the status quo means the state is still defining marriage ... the ideal solution is to remove the state from marriage and leave marriage down to individuals and institutions with the state and its courts only having the purpose of enforcing those contracts. A move like this would de facto legalise gay 'marriage' along with polygamous 'marriage' and even incest 'marriage'.

On a personal level i'm conservative - I do not agree that any of those constitute marriage and firmly believe in traditional marriage as do the majority shown by 32 US states so far backing traditional marriage in referendums. However, I don't think it right that just because I wouldn't attend one doesn't mean the state should enforce my definition of marriage on others such as homosexuals. But at the same time, I cannot support the gay 'marriage' proposals under this government because it is still the state enforcing its idea of morality, one I disagree with (and of course, faced between the two, i'll go with the one I agree with on a personal level).

A sad story nevertheless.

jasey
10-05-2012, 06:09 AM
I do not agree that any of those constitute marriage and firmly believe in traditional marriage as do the majority shown by 32 US states so far backing traditional marriage in referendums.

I am glad you sympathise, but I believe that using very misleading phrases like that tends to push rights back even further. I know you are smart and I am sure you are aware that an official majority of Americans have supported gay marriage for about a year. Not every state is the same size. You could turn all the states that oppose gay marriage in to one big megastate and they still wouldn't be the majority.

On topic, this video is heartwrenching. I had a similar experience as Shane did with my ex-boyfriend not getting the support he needed from his parents. It's heartbreaking, really, to see someone try and reach out to their partner's family when their own doesn't want them anymore. Of course, my family totally embraced him but it just wasn't the same. They weren't the ones he grew up with and was raised by.

I respect difference of opinion but I believe that is something that is on the level of hating your child because of their skin colour. I acknowledge that there are arguments but there is huge evidence pointing to the fact that being homosexual is not a choice but rather something you are either completely born with or born with in part and also nurtured to in part before you even define the words 'sex' or 'marriage'. It is a declining and faltering minority of people who believe that anyone chooses to be homosexual. I have to say it again - I can't imagine the pain Shane is in and how betrayed and lost Tom felt after coming out.

Thank you for sharing this, SyrupyMonkey. I saw it on Facebook earlier but the title and so on left me to believe it was just 'another one of those videos'. It was a sad and moving story. Cheers and all the best to everyone who wants to help further equality, myself included.

10-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I am glad you sympathise, but I believe that using very misleading phrases like that tends to push rights back even further. I know you are smart and I am sure you are aware that an official majority of Americans have supported gay marriage for about a year. Not every state is the same size. You could turn all the states that oppose gay marriage in to one big megastate and they still wouldn't be the majority.

Could you tell me what is misleading there? 32 states have rejected gay 'marriage' - that is a fact.

jasey
10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Could you tell me what is misleading there? 32 states have rejected gay 'marriage' - that is a fact.

It is misleading because someone of your intelligence shouldn't be saying things that lead people to believe the majority of people in America reject it. The fact is and has been for about a year that the majority of Americans support full and equal gay marriage.

Perhaps there were five cities involved in a debate about what should be done to a magical unicorn that fell from the sky somewhere in southern England. The choices are to either kill it because things that are different are bad or to keep it and research it because different things enrich us. If the five cities involved were Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, London and Leeds, say a poll was taken. Every city supports the killing of the unicorn except London. You would be the person saying 'four out of five cities ban keeping the unicorn!'. I am the person that recognises there are more people that want to keep the unicorn than people that don't. They are the majority.

In any case, this thread is not the place for a debate — or so I feel. You and I can both agree that this is a touching and thought-provoking video. Therefore, let's leave things quiet enough for people to comment uninterrupted on how they feel and not be subjected to Daniel and Jason going back and forth. There are enough threads with that already. I really don't dislike you, Daniel. I admire the fire you have inside of you. I just feel it is misdirected and fanned the illogical way sometimes.

Richie
10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I don't agree in gay marriage but I do believe he should have been told about his boyfriend and his family shouldn't have been so selfish and inconsiderate. They should of respected their sons wishes. I don't understand how someone can be so selfish and disrespectful, thinking about themselves and not what the deceased person may have wanted.

10-05-2012, 06:25 PM
It is misleading because someone of your intelligence shouldn't be saying things that lead people to believe the majority of people in America reject it. The fact is and has been for about a year that the majority of Americans support full and equal gay marriage.

Perhaps there were five cities involved in a debate about what should be done to a magical unicorn that fell from the sky somewhere in southern England. The choices are to either kill it because things that are different are bad or to keep it and research it because different things enrich us. If the five cities involved were Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, London and Leeds, say a poll was taken. Every city supports the killing of the unicorn except London. You would be the person saying 'four out of five cities ban keeping the unicorn!'. I am the person that recognises there are more people that want to keep the unicorn than people that don't. They are the majority.

In any case, this thread is not the place for a debate — or so I feel. You and I can both agree that this is a touching and thought-provoking video. Therefore, let's leave things quiet enough for people to comment uninterrupted on how they feel and not be subjected to Daniel and Jason going back and forth. There are enough threads with that already. I really don't dislike you, Daniel. I admire the fire you have inside of you. I just feel it is misdirected and fanned the illogical way sometimes.

While that may be true with national polling, it depends on the polling question itself which I suspect most will be slanted towards gay 'marriage' (I can't however comment on this fully as I haven't seen enough U.S. polling data on the topic to make a firm judgement). I do suspect however that the majority oppose gay 'marriage', one reason being that one of the most 'pro' states also rejected it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8

dirrty
10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
on a personal level, i don't care for things that don't affect me (i obviously emphasise with others in negative situations, but empathy can only go so far). i'm all for different members of society striving for what they believe/want equality to be; but that's probably how far it goes for me. i didn't find anything in that video remotely shocking, or surprising tbf. probably not the best way to put this (and i'm sure i'll get a few angry responses), but i found the almost video boring as i just knew before he even mentioned that his partner died, that he'd die and there'd be negative reactions to their relationship. some families are just like that and regardless of whatever occurs, they won't change their opinions on a specific matter. some of my family members would be just like that (definitely on my fathers side who would never accept gay marriage, relationships etc.), and i know that isn't right (before someone has a go at me), but when it comes to fighting for a greater acceptance within society (and therefore more equal rights), things like that take time. i would never expect anyone to completely change their views on something straightaway because their beliefs are so inbuilt within them that it'd take either quite a long time for them to change their opinions (or never). for people in this thread saying that the guys parents should of just accepted the other guy, i agree that they should of atleast showed him a bit more respect considering they were going out for like 6 years, but some people are just stuck in their ways and will never accept change (that's the downside to the society in which we live in). but there's only so much people can do to change others opinions on controversial topics such as this one - so time and education is key, opposed to just wanting whatever to happen, right now. cba to read through what i posted so i hope it kinda makes sense

jasey
10-05-2012, 10:03 PM
While that may be true with national polling, it depends on the polling question itself which I suspect most will be slanted towards gay 'marriage' (I can't however comment on this fully as I haven't seen enough U.S. polling data on the topic to make a firm judgement). I do suspect however that the majority oppose gay 'marriage', one reason being that one of the most 'pro' states also rejected it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8

Really trying very hard not to get in to a debate with you here, but I hope you understand just how incredibly dated Proposition 8 is. I hope you are able to find time to find out what has happened since and how things have changed since the proposition. Rest assured I don't feel in the position to play teacher to someone with your brain so go and have a bit of study time.

kasi
10-05-2012, 10:58 PM
the videos over 3 minutes
my attention span doesnt last that long srry

Edited by Skynus (Forum Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly!

MKR&*42
10-05-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't agree in gay marriage but I do believe he should have been told about his boyfriend and his family shouldn't have been so selfish and inconsiderate. They should of respected their sons wishes. I don't understand how someone can be so selfish and disrespectful, thinking about themselves and not what the deceased person may have wanted.

This is sorta what I wanted to say^. Personally, I don't support the idea of gay marriage arriving in the UK but I'm not that fussed if it remains "legal" in some parts of the world - I just really disagree with it arriving in the UK. I do feel incredibly sorry for that dude in the film and it's absolute crap how unfair his partner's parents were to him ;l It really makes you wonder how on Earth some people can be that un-compassionate and cruel to others.

Tom
11-05-2012, 02:57 PM
This is just...

I don't know how people can just be so inconsiderate? At the end of the day it's his Mum and Dad - they should support him no matter what? He can't help being who he is and yeah - they may think otherwise - but as I said they should respect his views. Even if they believed he just wants to be gay then they should accept him! (RAGE).

It infuriates me how at the end of the video he mentions how his mother just pretended he never existed or was never in their life. Just... yeah. I could go on all day with this I'll end it here.

It's the 21st century :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!