PDA

View Full Version : Habbox / Habboxlive design

Richie
13-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey,
Not dissing hotelusers / mykes skills but the habboxlive layout and the habbox layout are out of date. They just look old. I know hoteluser designed habbox and habboxlive was designed some time ago by myke. Why don't you guys try get a new design sorted. Perhaps this time you could get the entire graphics team involved. I think it'd be nice to have a new fresh design for the summer and considering hffm has closed I'd imagine the popular around the sites will be increasing.

I know habboxlive is meant to be merging soon but it's taking the absoloute piss. The design on habboxlive looks dreadful with the html links. As for the main habbox site does no-one else agree that the quality of the design looks very poor and outdated compared to other fansites?

Mark
13-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I agree that both sites don't look great tbh. HabboxLive for obvious reason but Habbox.com backend (panels etc) is horrific! The design is too box-y and not very colourful unlike the other sites. I highly doubt anything will be done tbh because we usually keep a layout for a good few years and with no one around to code it or whatever then I can't see it being done.

Richie
13-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I agree that both sites don't look great tbh. HabboxLive for obvious reason but Habbox.com backend (panels etc) is horrific! The design is too box-y and not very colourful unlike the other sites. I highly doubt anything will be done tbh because we usually keep a layout for a good few years and with no one around to code it or whatever then I can't see it being done.

Yeah but even if a design was created now and just left aside until they got a few new website coders to work on it, it'd be some start. Saying that though I think you're right this will probably receive a reply like 'why fix something that isn't broken' or something along those lines.

David
13-05-2012, 07:14 PM
a habboxlive skin was designed similar to site skin 2011 but it never got used due to managers being kids and changing their minds.
and v7 / site skin 2012 won't be done until management hire a new coder. t0m and i have already offered matt to design a new theme.

Lee
13-05-2012, 07:22 PM
There are plenty of people around that can code layouts ;) I'm up for change too!

iLogan
13-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I'd like a change of layouts too.

a habboxlive skin was designed similar to site skin 2011 but it never got used due to managers being kids and changing their minds.

No.... we never said that the layout you made was never going to be used. The whole merge / new site project was temporally paused.

Chris
13-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I agree that the habboxlive site is a bit dated now, but I don't see anything wrong with the habbox.com layout personally.

Yeah, I'd like a change of layouts too.

No.... we never said that the layout you made was never going to be used. The whole merge / new site project was temporally paused.

Well logically you wouldn't go and make such A large request unless you were positive it was being used.

MKR&*42
13-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Going to have to agree on this as well, I'd love a new Habbox site layout aha. I don't like HabboxLive's design at all, but considerin' the sites will be merged I'm not that fussed over it.

I actually dislike the colour scheme on the Habbox main site :S But I'd be more fussed over everything else before colour.

GoldenMerc
13-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Its funny this, considering RemelKid is as rude and obvious as possible. Never the less it says this in his signiture;

R E D U C E D
A C T I V I T Y

Jess is pretty much, well dead. As she hasn't been active properly on the forum since she got fired / left about the Super Mod position.

David is at University / College, everyone's saying oh theres no point as the merge is happening, not sure if anyones realised but this was said to started many many months ago, Although David's brilliant at what he does theres no promise he will have the time to do it. I know for sure i wouldn't be doing it, specially as its free... I just think never sit on one idea, always try things around. Such as using the gfx teams layout as a temp layout untill the merge is done, Thats a minor update. Not even something remotely big, yet Habbox have to think about it, mess around etc. Stop being petty this works for free, no staff is being paid, Yes its helping the community but Habbox needs to stop taking things for granted, Take what is given.

xxMATTGxx
13-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Its funny this, considering RemelKid is as rude and obvious as possible. Never the less it says this in his signiture;

Jess is pretty much, well dead. As she hasn't been active properly on the forum since she got fired / left about the Super Mod position.

David is at University / College, everyone's saying oh theres no point as the merge is happening, not sure if anyones realised but this was said to started many many months ago, Although David's brilliant at what he does theres no promise he will have the time to do it. I know for sure i wouldn't be doing it, specially as its free... I just think never sit on one idea, always try things around. Such as using the gfx teams layout as a temp layout untill the merge is done, Thats a minor update. Not even something remotely big, yet Habbox have to think about it, mess around etc. Stop being petty this works for free, no staff is being paid, Yes its helping the community but Habbox needs to stop taking things for granted, Take what is given.

This thread isn't to talk about the management of HabboxLive and no one is waiting for David. We actually aren't expecting David to do anything. Plus in terms of paying people to code and so on, yeah it's a great idea but that is something Jin should really address.

GoldenMerc
13-05-2012, 07:45 PM
This thread isn't to talk about the management of HabboxLive and no one is waiting for David. We actually aren't expecting David to do anything. Plus in terms of paying people to code and so on, yeah it's a great idea but that is something Jin should really address.

But then who else is going to do it?
@Robbie won't do work for cash, so for free you've got no chance.
Same for @Froobe / Blob.
Both immense coders, same as David. But will they do all that work for free? No.
Theres barely any other coders who will be willing to devote the time, nowdays Habbox web dev is completely dead, lost all the aspiring coders to ClubHabbo and other networks such as @Detalfrice @Invent
By far best coders round, but both prefer the ClubHabbo community now. So Habbox has lost pretty much quite a substantual part of their forum.

iLogan
13-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Well logically you wouldn't go and make such A large request unless you were positive it was being used.

When we were planning the merge or new site, we wanted to get some ideas on what we could potentially have. After receiving the mockups / layouts and speaking to the GFX & content manager we thought it'd be better to merge the sites under the same layout, but meh like I said the whole project is on hold at the moment due to the lack of a coder so its all in the air.

xxMATTGxx
13-05-2012, 07:51 PM
But then who else is going to do it?
@Robbie won't do work for cash, so for free you've got no chance.
Same for @Froobe / Blob.
Both immense coders, same as David. But will they do all that work for free? No.
Theres barely any other coders who will be willing to devote the time, nowdays Habbox web dev is completely dead, lost all the aspiring coders to ClubHabbo and other networks such as @Detalfrice @Invent
By far best coders round, but both prefer the ClubHabbo community now. So Habbox has lost pretty much quite a substantual part of their forum.

I would pay for coders but I don't have access to the Habbox bank account, for good reason. Jin should be checking Habbox sometime this week to see about the server so maybe there's a chance he will read this thread If I make him aware of it.

GoldenMerc
13-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Habbox has had the free run, trust me coders are so expensive. Yeh if you can get Robbie to stop smoking weed and do it then it'l be a good price, or Blob to love using Habbox again then theres a possibility but trust me, After the money i've spent on coders this month. Its not cheap

xxMATTGxx
13-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Habbox has had the free run, trust me coders are so expensive. Yeh if you can get Robbie to stop smoking weed and do it then it'l be a good price, or Blob to love using Habbox again then theres a possibility but trust me, After the money i've spent on coders this month. Its not cheap

Then what are you really suggesting...

GoldenMerc
13-05-2012, 08:02 PM
You've got a point, you've got me in the corner.
Im paying i think £30-50 per hour for the coder i have at the moment, So in time i guess if all you need is a layout coded that's piss money plus someone on Habbox can code it for about a tenner, Although getting a merge and stuff could take 2-3 hours. Which does amount to quite a bit overall. Personally i don't know what you can do unless you want to break the bank... OR
Why not have sort of a payment scheme for coders, such as how it is with management (Been a while guys), But obviously at a higher rate. So say you have 2 projects to do per week. They must do them to get their payment. Say £5 per month, thats prob enough. Just a better way to work it in my eyes, But then you come to the situation which came up a few times about coders not getting enough access to the site and forum. Why not 100% replicate the site and forum on a test server, let them do the work then copy their work over? Means they don't have to work around the problems they head straight to it?
Ross

HotelUser
14-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I might have some free time now and then to poke around the idea of redesigning Habbox.com. If someone puts an attractive design infront of me for HabboxLive or Habbox then I'll code and implement it.

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I might have some free time now and then to poke around the idea of redesigning Habbox.com. If someone puts an attractive design infront of me for HabboxLive or Habbox then I'll code and implement it.

literally one of a kind dude.

Robbie
14-05-2012, 10:52 PM

LMAO SHUT UP!! THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING!

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 10:53 PM
LMAO SHUT UP!! THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING!

always excuses, common coder

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:06 PM
offtopic: learn how to convert minutes into hours and minutes properly. Also improve your code commenting. *slaps*. Also learn to typecast.
ontopic: Now all we need is a designer, problem is we don't have any :(

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:07 PM
offtopic: learn how to convert minutes into hours and minutes properly. Also improve your code commenting. *slaps*. Also learn to typecast.
Myke is a amazing designer

David
14-05-2012, 11:08 PM

Hello? Graphics department are more than capable thanks, at the least Kasabian; and I are.

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Hello? Graphics department are more than capable thanks, at the least Kasabian; and I are.
I always figured that the graphics department was less focussed on website designs than like standalone images and banners. They're kinda different design styles. I guess not.

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I always figured that the graphics department was less focussed on website designs than like standalone images and banners. They're kinda different design styles. I guess not.

to be fair from what i've seen being posted it seems the gfx staff just get pushed around lol, they get asked to do something, they do it. then it doesn't even get used, no wonder tom and dave are in and out constantly. Never the less i guess the most expensive part is done, just need Dave to do it. Get @Myke or @Dave. (DOT) or @Kasabian

HotelUser
offtopic: learn how to convert minutes into hours and minutes properly.

Explain your rude self properly.

Also improve your code commenting. *slaps*.

There's nothing wrong with how I comment in the modern day.

Also learn to typecast.

There is often very little need to typecast in PHP (http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.type-juggling.php) and where necessary (bitmasks) I do typecast.

xxMATTGxx

Well they are normally but I'm sure they can try anything that is thrown at them - They are a great bunch of designers!

The Don

Cough cough

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:16 PM
had to save your sorry ass. You were dividing minutes by sixty and then rounding, not flooring on the HxHD check-in system thingy. 35 minutes somehow ended up as an hour and 35 minutes.

That commenting was unclear to just about anyone reading it who wasn't yourself.

There is often very little need to typecast in PHP (http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.type-juggling.php) and where necessary (bitmasks) I do typecast.There's a security need to prevent XSS, saw some vulnerabilities you didn't bother fixing (You also didn't prevent non team leaders viewing other staff on the weekly overview).

Recursion
14-05-2012, 11:16 PM

There is often very little need to typecast in PHP (http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.type-juggling.php) and where necessary (bitmasks) I do typecast.

"Good code is its own best documentation. As you're about to add a comment, ask yourself, “How can I improve the code so that this comment isn't needed?" - Steve McConnell

;)

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:17 PM
habbox exploits r out, lock your doors the german hackers r back
but to be fair Will, He coded for free... Can't really complain, Plus how come you know all that yet your only a content designer... Plus for wiki too? How have you got access to all that?

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:18 PM
How have you got access to all that?
Matt forced me to fix the bug last night.

xxMATTGxx
14-05-2012, 11:18 PM
habbox exploits r out, lock your doors the german hackers r back
but to be fair Will, He coded for free... Can't really complain, Plus how come you know all that yet your only a content designer... Plus for wiki too? How have you got access to all that?

He was asked If he could fix a problem that was annoying a department. He didn't have full access, so calm down.

Matt forced me to fix the bug last night.

You'll do anything with a bit of force eh? :P

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:19 PM
He doesn't have access to all of that, he was asked If he could fix a problem that was annoying a department. He didn't have full access, so calm down.
sorry mr no one gets access to anything, only certain places.
yet he got access to the staff pages

Chippiewill
You'll do anything with a bit of force eh? :P
Yes Sir, Mr. Matt, Sir.

HotelUser
had to save your sorry ass. You were dividing minutes by sixty and then rounding, not flooring on the HxHD check-in system thingy. 35 minutes somehow end up as an hour and 35 minutes.

And that constitutes as having to save my sorry ass? Go ahead and code some thousands of lines and not make one or two silly mistakes, I dare you.

That commenting was unclear to just about anyone reading it who wasn't yourself.

Lots of developers say this about lots of other developers, also comments shouldn't have to describe how the actual language works, perhaps you were unsure?

There's a security need to prevent XSS, saw some vulnerabilities you didn't bother fixing (You also didn't prevent non team leaders viewing other staff on the weekly overview).

Security is present where security was intended, I quite clearly am capable of designing a secure system given that Habbox.com hasn't been completely compromised or anything ridiculous like that.

xxMATTGxx
14-05-2012, 11:20 PM
sorry mr no one gets access to anything, only certain places.
yet he got access to the staff pages

Sorry but I don't remember telling you what he did have access to? He only saw two files and then he told me what to change.

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Sorry but I don't remember telling you what he did have access to? He only saw two files and then he told me what to change.
Matt your taking everything like im attacking your personal feelings... When im clearly not. You state one thing then do the complete opposite. Are coders going to return? Or is David just going to be on hold untill everythings done?

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Security is present where security was intended, I quite clearly am capable of designing a secure system given that Habbox.com hasn't been completely compromised or anything ridiculous like that.
Lots of little security holes become big ones.

And that constitutes as having to save my sorry ass? Go ahead and code some thousands of lines and not make one or two silly mistakes, I dare you.How dare you criticise my minor exaggeration.

xxMATTGxx
14-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Matt your taking everything like im attacking your personal feelings... When im clearly not. You state one thing then do the complete opposite. Are coders going to return? Or is David just going to be on hold untill everythings done?

I haven't done anything that I haven't done before.

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:24 PM
mmm holes.

I haven't done anything that I haven't done before.

Yeh but surely it would be easier just giving him ftp considering you wouldn't know any better if he did add any malicious coding into it?

xxMATTGxx
mmm holes.

Yeh but surely it would be easier just giving him ftp considering you wouldn't know any better if he did add any malicious coding into it?

I haven't given him FTP access and why would I give anyone FTP access If I don't trust them?

The Don
Why's this thread turning hostile, calm down people.

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I was only teasing david and he got all serious :'(

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I haven't given him FTP access and why would I give anyone FTP access If I don't trust them?
Your making no sense now, you said you didn't give him ftp you gave him 2 files. Which i confirmed in the previous post. You then said the above, which is pretty confuesing. If you didn't trust him, Why would you ask him to do it? Plus onwards why would you upload the product he returned, considering it could have been anything? You wouldn't know any different?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdO4epI7oyg

HotelUser
14-05-2012, 11:28 PM

Due to the nature of the website non staff members are flat out unable to view pages such as the HxHD ones therefore even if I did royally screw up with security on a specific page it would pose more of an isolated threat than a grand one, notwithstanding this fact, the "security" problem with the page you're inquiring about is hardly the security fix to end all security fixes. When I coded that page was when I was the HxHD manager, and I didn't care about the fact that non SS/TLs could view the statistics on who is in the room throughout the week (infact I even made another page called "Room Log" which displayed exactly this - I'm guessing someone just didn't want the feature anymore and so it was removed :P)

xxMATTGxx
Your making no sense now, you said you didn't give him ftp you gave him 2 files. Which i confirmed in the previous post. You then said the above, which is pretty confuesing. If you didn't trust him, Why would you ask him to do it? Plus onwards why would you upload the product he returned, considering it could have been anything? You wouldn't know any different?

He didn't send me the files, he told me the code to put in the files and it wasn't going to cause a nuclear war.

Chippiewill
They were line references where all I had done was change "round" to "floor", don't need to be an expert to realise I can't hack a server by changing a mathematical function to another.

Recursion
14-05-2012, 11:29 PM
EVERYONE, CALM THE HELL DOWN AND LISTEN TO SOME GOOD MUSIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDwu4uNTZc4

Edited by Martin (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:30 PM
He didn't send me the files, he told me the code to put in the files and it wasn't going to cause a nuclear war.

But you wouldn't know any difference?

Recursion
14-05-2012, 11:31 PM
But you wouldn't know any difference?

They're math functions, hardly difficult to understand LOL

GoldenMerc
14-05-2012, 11:31 PM
They're math functions, hardly difficult to understand LOL

its matt...

xxMATTGxx
14-05-2012, 11:32 PM
its matt...

Thank you Ross.

David
14-05-2012, 11:34 PM
so much drama. calm down guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drJWxMLrpE0

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:35 PM
its matt...
I could have echoed the DB settings and it wouldn't have done me any good since I couldn't actually access the page.

HotelUser
14-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I was only teasing david and he got all serious :'(

If you'd like to share a beer sometime and go over areas to improve then I'm all for it, but a competition in a public thread to see who's nose is bigger than the other guys is just abit monotonous :P

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:39 PM
If you'd like to share a beer sometime and go over areas to improve then I'm all for it, but a competition in a public thread to see who's nose is bigger than the other guys is just abit monotonous :PSure, you pay for the plane tickets and I'll pay for the beer ;)

Edit: Out of genuine interest, is there a reason why you named the column containing the minutes "continue", confused the hell out of me for a while.

Recursion
14-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Sure, you pay for the plane tickets and I'll pay for the beer ;)

Edit: Out of genuine interest, is there a reason why you named the column containing the minutes "continue", confused the hell out of me for a while.

He'll learn when he's handing in coursework at University and the tutors don't understand his code... don't you worry. We get heavily penalised for stupid names ;)

HotelUser
14-05-2012, 11:51 PM
He'll learn when he's handing in coursework at University and the tutors don't understand his code... don't you worry. We get heavily penalised for stupid names ;)

The physics and cal 2 courseload is what's more frightening to me than the software design.

Chippiewill
14-05-2012, 11:58 PM
It gets worse than that, a variable which stores the number of minutes was "$hours"

Recursion
15-05-2012, 12:04 AM
It gets worse than that, a variable which stores the number of minutes was "$hours"

http://myorganisedmess.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/276253_papel-de-parede-meme-jackie-chan_1280x1024.jpg

HotelUser
15-05-2012, 12:12 AM

And that constitutes as having to save my sorry ass? Go ahead and code some thousands of lines and not make one or two silly mistakes, I dare you.

Although I'm curious, I just looked through all my on record HxHD prefixed pages and couldn't find any variable called $hours that I used anywhere, which file and line was that in?

The Don
15-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Although I'm curious, I just looked through all my on record HxHD prefixed pages and couldn't find any variable called $hours that I used anywhere, which file and line was that in?

Warning contains swear word

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/300/587/c06.gif[/QUOTE]

GoldenMerc
15-05-2012, 12:18 AM
While were on faults, bugs, problems with Habbox. Can i ask whats being done about the sms donator...

The Don
15-05-2012, 12:20 AM
While were on faults, bugs, problems with Habbox. Can i ask whats being done about the sms donator...

I second this HotelUser;

Now I'm actually off to bed night

GoldenMerc
15-05-2012, 12:21 AM
I second this @HotelUser (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=420);

Now I'm actually off to bed night

not a coding problem, its a matt garner issue

xxMATTGxx
15-05-2012, 12:22 AM

The legal team are dealing with the issue.

GoldenMerc
15-05-2012, 12:22 AM
another glpayment situation?
legal team hehe

HotelUser
15-05-2012, 02:59 PM
had to save your sorry ass. You were dividing minutes by sixty and then rounding, not flooring on the HxHD check-in system thingy. 35 minutes somehow ended up as an hour and 35 minutes.

There's a security need to prevent XSS, saw some vulnerabilities you didn't bother fixing (You also didn't prevent non team leaders viewing other staff on the weekly overview).

Good Morning!

Since you started this argument I'd like to take this opportunity to end the argument but not without first clearing a few things up.

1. Starting a public argument on the fansite with no other objective other than to attack another person's abilities (whether that be ability to code, manage a department, design graphics, etc) is what I would consider very petty. There is always room for improvement at Habbox but there is a fine line between expressing your ideas on improving the fansite and just trying to provoke / embarrass another individual. You easily could have addressed your coding concerns directly to myself and we could have resolved them together (teamwork for the win!). Instead you decided to post rudely on the forum which then escalated into a very annoying and completely unproductive discussion where you proceeded to point out my alleged "coding errors" publicly.

2. You might have been able to convince me that I had lazy comments, or that I maybe even used bland variable names but you should have stopped when you were ahead:

It gets worse than that, a variable which stores the number of minutes was "$hours"I searched my entire Habbox project for use of a variable called $hours, I even searched old backups of such a variable and I came up with no related matches. I'm not going to accuse you of stretching the truth or blatantly lying here although I do not like the idea that you've attempted to publicly pin a very minor coding error on me that I am not even the creator of.

3. If you cannot stand the heat, you should not be in the kitchen. I'm going to pursue an eye for an eye justice here and point out that you called my comments and variables vague which made my code difficult for you to understand yet here I am attempting to breeze through your rarevalues plugin on the Habbox Wiki which you designed and it consists of 161 lines of non-tabbed code and in some areas completely incorrectly tabbed and spaced code. Descriptive comments are important and you are correct in saying so, but they mean nothing if your code is poorly strung together to create an illegible monster. You also made a comment about me saying I should learn to type cast (despite PHP handling implicit typecasts automatically), and I could make a comment about you saying you should learn to use quick ifs and not to use double quotes.

My point here is, I am not the best software designer in the world and you are not the best software designer in the world. I'm going to consider the events of this thread as a one time deal because I for one do not wish to frequently involve myself in feedback forum discussions where attacking each other's coding capabilities is the norm especially when neither of us is more qualified than the other. If it would please you, I would be more than happy to reinstate the staff coders forum where we could entertain ourselves for $hours by debating technique with each other, and so we could have an area on the forum to discuss the possibility of group tasks and working together. Naturally, Rob (or I believe he prefers weed man (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?p=7534032#post7534032)) and Ryan would be invited too.

Thread Closed.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!