PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Ban

Richie
28-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I seen a local radio speaking about this on facebook. We already have a smoking ban so people can't smoke inside public buildings but I think they're taking this a little too far, smoking is an addiction you can't exactly ban it from the street. It will no longer be possible to smoke in any of the hospital grounds, such as entrances, doorways, walkways, internal roads, bus shelters, car parks and bicycle shelters. Do you welcome the ban? Or think it's the smokers' right to choose? What will sick patients do that want to smoke?

Obviously as a non smoker I wouldn't like to fight through a cloud of smoke while waiting for a bus but at the same time smoking is an addiction, you can't just ban people from smoking. I can see the advanced smoking ban being put into action outside hospitals but does anyone actually believe they will be able to stop people from smoking on pathways, bus shelters and so on? If they're going to ban people from smoking in the above areas they need to create smoking shelters or something along those lines but that's going to cost more money.

I'm sure this won't apply for many country's but if it was enforced where you live would you be annoyed?

Samantha.
28-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I can see where they're coming from by banning it in those sorts of places but I agree that they are taking the ban a bit too far! Yes far enough that you cannot smoke inside but outside its a bit too much. I know it's bad to smoke around other people but like you said, smoking is an addiction and soon people won't be able to smoke anywhere. Do you think it's another way to get people to cut down and stop smoking? Like they're already introduced that shops and supermarkets have to keep there cigarettes hidden in aid to stop people from smoking but if people want to smoke they're going to smoke.

lawrawrrr
28-05-2012, 12:25 PM
it's a nice idea, but they're basically saying; if it's raining, you can't smoke. It's taking it all a bit too far imo.

Chippiewill
28-05-2012, 12:26 PM
smoking is an addiction, you can't just ban people from smoking
Surely if it's an addiction it would be helpful to alleviate that addiction.

FiftyCal
29-05-2012, 01:08 AM
It would be nice to not put bans on pubs and bars, thats just the whole tradition is smoking and drinking, maybe put signs on the doorways saying "Smoking allowed" so people that are non smokers will find out without fighting through a cloud of smoke

GommeInc
29-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm in two minds about it. Smoking is a pointless habit - it costs so much for so few benefits. But at the same time people should be given the choice, and if people want to smoke tobacco which has fewer benefits than smoking oregano then let them. The current ban seems fine enough, it's best to keep it out of indoor public places, even though evidence suggests second-hand smoke is not as damaging as first expected (if at all!). However, it seems a bit too much to ban people smoking outdoor or in places that are not enclosed like bus stops etc. If people do not like others smoking at bus stops they can sit else where or stand else where, or politely ask. We do not need the hand of the Government to slap and guide us.

-:Undertaker:-
29-05-2012, 09:24 PM
There should be no question of a smoking ban in a free society because in a free society, you value private property rights. Therefore, it is not up to the government to impose bans or even allow smoking - the decision is purely with the property owner. If the government hasn't de facto nationalised the pub industry, why is it making decisions on their behalf? (which happen to also impact on their business).

If a pub landlord wishes to ban smoking, then that's his choice. In the very same way should he wish to allow smoking then that is also his choice.

Samantha
29-05-2012, 09:28 PM
People smoking outside isn't causing as much pollution as say Power Stations and stuff like that so why ban it outside? I remember they tried banning it so you couldn't smoke in a car or you couldn't drive and smoke, whichever, if you're on a long car journey you'll want to smoke, if you're waiting ages for a bus, you'll want to smoke. In hospital grounds then fair enough but as someone said what about the patients who smoke? You're not going to make them walk to the entrance just to smoke are you? The plan needs to be thought of a lot more before saying that it should be banned there, there and there as at the end of the day as Richie said it's an addiction, you can't expect them just to smoke in their own homes.

If smokers' aren't allowed to smoke outside and they are on holiday staying in a hotel/flat etc do you expect them to stop smoking for 1-2 weeks? Sorry had this saved thought I'd posted it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!