PDA

View Full Version : Red, blue & white star...

MKR&*42
28-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Okiess,

Have any of you lot ever seen a star at night that flashed red, white and blue in a very quick pace (no it's not a plane because planes aren't stationary for over an hour nor are they insanely out of sight)? I'm seeing 1 right now and have been staring at it for quite a while with a huge look of confusion upon my face aha. Did some googling and it's been spotted by loadsss of people in the past few years aha. Most common thing it is most likely to be:

- Venus
- Mercury
- Saturn
- Vega
- Sirius.

(Depends upon direction nd other stuff which I don't really pay attention to >_<)

SORRY to bore you all with that. I would take a pic. but it's incredibly far away nd I only have a camera on my phone so ye :l The flashing colours are caused by atmospheric disturbance (looks amazing), and was jw if any of you lot have seen anything similar to this at night?

lawrawrrr
28-05-2012, 10:19 PM
After you told me this I went to look... Venus is below the horizon for me, Vega is bright but not flashing tonight, Saturn is far too far away, but thy all look so pretty.

SO jealous of you right now, i love astronomy.

dbgtz
28-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Sure you're not looking at the flag of the USA?

lawrawrrr
28-05-2012, 10:25 PM
After a bit of research, Sirius tends to flash blue and red and is in the area we're talking about!!

--

I can't actually see it from my house but did enjoy looking at the other planets/stars!

Samantha
28-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Think I saw a white flashing one. Does there need to be a moon as I don't have one well u can't see one.

GommeInc
28-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Download Google Sky Map on your phone and see what that says when you point it at that direction :P

MKR&*42
28-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Download Google Sky Map on your phone and see what that says when you point it at that direction :P

Did that eventually :P I actually saw another "flashy" one as vvell aha. I'm sure they were either Polux + Castor or Capello + something else. They were too close for me to tell the difference (and I'm far too tired) :(.
dbgtz; haha xL.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!