PDA

View Full Version : Books An Inspector Calls

MKR&*42
31-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Has anyone read this? We read it for English lit. in year 10 and I absolutely loved the book, it's incredibly thought-provoking and quite "chilling?" if you really absorb the idea of the book. I have a quote from it in my signature.

Believe it was wrote by John Priestley (or J.B. Priestley). I've seen a play version of it as well, it's just fantastic at how it makes you realise how much responsibility we genuinely have.

If you haven't read it, I completely recommend you do!

GirlNextDoor15
31-05-2012, 03:21 PM
read it a few times before and i dont recommend anyone to read it.
it's utterly boring. arthur was a ****, sybil was a *****, sheila was a princess wannabe and other boys were just plain idiots who decided to use their ***** as their brain. eva smith and all her other fake names were so mischievous that they all abused my sympathy. hate that part of the book.
everything is simple and happens in like a blink of an eye, i understand.. but goole reminds me of google. dont like it. sounds too evil and boring. the plot was definitely over exaggerated and predictable.

MKR&*42
31-05-2012, 03:37 PM
read it a few times before and i dont recommend anyone to read it.
it's utterly boring. arthur was a ****, sybil was a *****, sheila was a princess wannabe and other boys were just plain idiots who decided to use their ***** as their brain. eva smith and all her other fake names were so mischievous that they all abused my sympathy. hate that part of the book.
everything is simple and happens in like a blink of an eye, i understand.. but goole reminds me of google. dont like it. sounds too evil and boring. the plot was definitely over exaggerated and predictable.

"Sounds too evil" - It was attacking the evil ideas that society held in 1912 and before? Most of the "good" novels have evil in them - Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, nearly all books by Shakespeare etc. Essentially, evil does suit most novels incredibly well.

"arthur was a ****, sybil was a *****, sheila was a princess wannabe and other boys were just plain idiots who decided to use their ***** as their brain." - You don't say? :S If they hadn't been like that, then the book wouldn't have really related to life in Britain back then...

I can't really criticise you on the "over-exaggerated" comment, but I feel that it was just a really good comparison as opposed to over-exaggeration :rolleyes:

GirlNextDoor15
31-05-2012, 04:06 PM
"Sounds too evil" - It was attacking the evil ideas that society held in 1912 and before? Most of the "good" novels have evil in them - Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, nearly all books by Shakespeare etc. Essentially, evil does suit most novels incredibly well.

"arthur was a ****, sybil was a *****, sheila was a princess wannabe and other boys were just plain idiots who decided to use their ***** as their brain." - You don't say? :S If they hadn't been like that, then the book wouldn't have really related to life in Britain back then...

I can't really criticise you on the "over-exaggerated" comment, but I feel that it was just a really good comparison as opposed to over-exaggeration :rolleyes:

evil as in goole's name. i just dont like it(cause it reminds me a lot abt google) but i do agree with what you said regarding 'evil' element in most ''good'' novels. if not, where's the climax? lol
and it isn't really about britain's history etc. it's still like that right now cause when you're born with everything laid in front of your eyes, your life will seem meaningless and you'll begin to complain about the pettiest thing. i believe that happens to elite families in other countries as well too. so, i dont get how it reflects on britain's 'back then'. i'd say the book is just an over exaggerated and predictable metaphor of life.

MKR&*42
31-05-2012, 04:13 PM
evil as in goole's name. i just dont like it(cause it reminds me a lot abt google) but i do agree with what you said regarding 'evil' element in most ''good'' novels. if not, where's the climax? lol
and it isn't really about britain's history etc. it's still like that right now cause when you're born with everything laid in front of your eyes, your life will seem meaningless and you'll begin to complain about the pettiest thing. i believe that happens to elite families in other countries as well too. so, i dont get how it reflects on britain's 'back then'. i'd say the book is just an over exaggerated and predictable metaphor of life.

Oh, sorry about the evil part, must have misread your post aha.

Bold = I suppose the main parts I can remember about this, are the fact that the woman (Eva Smith) and a few others mentioned in the novel, were treated as an object for sex only. Yes, I suppose that still happens today, but back then it was mainly what they were considered to be for. Also, the situation involving her firing purely because she was paid so little. I'd imagine that some people can still get made redundant for striking today (not entirely sure of that) but she was literally fired because she wanted more pay due to low wages.

Another point about British ideas, was the fact that Mr. Burling laughed and claimed that the Soviet Union would never be a powerful "country" or advanced in regards to technology. When ultimately, they did become incredibly powerful at one point (I believe).

Of course it relates to other countries (should have said that) :L.

GirlNextDoor15
31-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Oh, sorry about the evil part, must have misread your post aha.

Bold = I suppose the main parts I can remember about this, are the fact that the woman (Eva Smith) and a few others mentioned in the novel, were treated as an object for sex only. Yes, I suppose that still happens today, but back then it was mainly what they were considered to be for. Also, the situation involving her firing purely because she was paid so little. I'd imagine that some people can still get made redundant for striking today (not entirely sure of that) but she was literally fired because she wanted more pay due to low wages.

Another point about British ideas, was the fact that Mr. Burling laughed and claimed that the Soviet Union would never be a powerful "country" or advanced in regards to technology. When ultimately, they did become incredibly powerful at one point (I believe).

Of course it relates to other countries (should have said that) :L.

gender discrimination, different society levels and political opinions/ideas etc. etc.
happened at other countries too and they were the highlighted issues back then at poorer countries(china, india, asia blah).. definitely not just britain.
and oh. it doesnt really relate to other countries. EX mega power, Britain was what made them happen and got worse first of all. colonization history dot dot asia dot dot
So, can u pls tell me what is so special about the book which reflects on britain's 'back then'?
imo, this type of book will only impress british ppl and so call provoke their thoughts by making them think like 'omg this happened to britain back then' when as a matter of fact, it was worse at other countries.. imo

MKR&*42
31-05-2012, 04:30 PM
gender discrimination, different society levels and political opinions/ideas etc. etc.
happened at other countries too and they were the highlighted issues back then at poorer countries(china, india, asia blah).. definitely not just britain.
and oh. it doesnt really relate to other countries. EX mega power, Britain was what made them happen and got worse first of all. colonization history dot dot asia dot dot
So, can u pls tell me what is so special about the book which reflects on britain's 'back then'?
imo, this type of book will only impress british ppl and so call provoke their thoughts by making them think like 'omg this happened to britain back then' when as a matter of fact, it was worse at other countries.. imo

I'm not claiming it's special "about Britain" only :I. It was set in Britain, hence me describing everything in comparison to Britain lol. I did say in my last post "Of course it relates to other countries". But then you said, omg you've confused me. You said this;

happened at other countries too

then...

and oh. it doesnt really relate to other countries.

explain :S

GirlNextDoor15
31-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm not claiming it's special "about Britain" only :I. It was set in Britain, hence me describing everything in comparison to Britain lol. I did say in my last post "Of course it relates to other countries". But then you said, omg you've confused me. You said this;

then...

explain :S

go check the history of british colonization which started around the 18th century at goole oopsie google

Ellz
31-05-2012, 06:56 PM
it is beyond boring, i had to study it for english last year and found myself falling to sleep while we were reading it in class! I think the face that we had to analyse everything was the part that made me sleepy though. Nevertheless, the book isnt a whole lot of fun :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!