PDA

View Full Version : Banning of Mobile Phones in UK Schools!

Geiranger
31-05-2012, 05:22 PM
The government want to ban Mobiles by UK Law from Schools and Collages simply because of Cyber baiting, Texting is lessons calling in lessons and the poor grammar skills creeping up and up! What are you thoughts on the issue!

GoldenMerc
31-05-2012, 05:24 PM
We got detension if are phones were even seen visible in school so not much change i guess :P

lawrawrrr
31-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Ridiculous. What if a child needs to contact parents during the day?

MKR&*42
31-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Ridiculous. What if a child needs to contact parents during the day?

There are landline phones rooted all around our school which help this problem. Also, a child can simply go to the school reception if they need to contact their parents in an emergency.

Samantha
31-05-2012, 05:34 PM
There are landline phones rooted all around our school which help this problem. Also, a child can simply go to the school reception if they need to contact their parents in an emergency.

In my high school we had to pay to ring home and they wouldn't allow us access to the school phone thus that wouldn't work in some schools.

buttons
31-05-2012, 05:34 PM
The government want to ban Mobiles by UK Law from Schools and Collages simply because of Cyber baiting, Texting is lessons calling in lessons and the poor grammar skills creeping up and up! What are you thoughts on the issue!
u prob should spend less time on ur phone in class then :l

& true @Intersocial (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=86637); but what if a parent needed to contact their children privately? it is a bit of a hassle to go from reception, who might be busy for a while, to the child when they could just text their mobile phone. but yea they shouldn't have it out in class, we weren't allowed at all but we are in college depending the lecturer. imo it's rude to be texting so i don't do it...

Samantha
31-05-2012, 05:38 PM

& true Intersocial; but what if a parent needed to contact their children privately? it is a bit of a hassle to go from reception, who might be busy for a while, to the child when they could just text their mobile phone. but yea they shouldn't have it out in class, we weren't at all but we are in college depending the lecturer. imo it's rude to be texting so i don't do it...

yeah our receptionists were slow and wouldn't give us messages until near the end of the day in some occasions. In junior school the HGH school near sports hall got set on fire, my parents weren't available to pick up us because of it and me and ky sister didn't get to know until 5 minutes before end, in fact I had to find my sister afterwards because they were slow. I agree with you fully Jen.

lawrawrrr
31-05-2012, 05:41 PM

what about on the way home from/on the way to school? or if pupils are allowed out at lunchtimes?

Lee
31-05-2012, 05:45 PM
In my old school, you could call home from the office if it was really nessercary.

Jssy
31-05-2012, 05:50 PM
at my school they wont let you ring mobiles and my dad only has a mobile not a landline soi would have had no way of contacting him if i didnt have my mobile

brandon
31-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I think that'll be a difficult ban to enforce, pupils will always sneak their phones in unless they bring in airport style scanners lol.

Eric
31-05-2012, 05:52 PM
in my country, we are not allowed to bring mobile phone to school. primary and high school. and i have no problem with that as they have all the payphones around my school. even if i have to make an emergency call and i can just ask my teacher. dont know about college though.

MKR&*42
31-05-2012, 06:00 PM
what about on the way home from/on the way to school? or if pupils are allowed out at lunchtimes?

& true @Intersocial (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=86637); but what if a parent needed to contact their children privately? it is a bit of a hassle to go from reception, who might be busy for a while, to the child when they could just text their mobile phone. but yea they shouldn't have it out in class, we weren't allowed at all but we are in college depending the lecturer. imo it's rude to be texting so i don't do it...

In my high school we had to pay to ring home and they wouldn't allow us access to the school phone thus that wouldn't work in some schools.

Oh my lord, wondered why I had 5 notifications o.e

Laura - you can still go to the reception at lunchtime, BUT read on.
Buttons (Idk your real name, sorry lol) - what kind of private issue ? :P In my school, if it's something private and very important the reception usually arrange for you go to home/wherever the issue is. I can't quite think of something very private that doesn't meet that criteria nor does the school already know of.
Sam - You had to pay? Jeez that sucks. I'd imagine if it was an emergency they'd HAVE to get in contact with the parent.

lawrawrrr
31-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Oh my lord, wondered why I had 5 notifications o.e

Laura - you can still go to the reception at lunchtime, BUT read on.
Buttons (Idk your real name, sorry lol) - what kind of private issue ? :P In my school, if it's something private and very important the reception usually arrange for you go to home/wherever the issue is. I can't quite think of something very private that doesn't meet that criteria nor does the school already know of.
Sam - You had to pay? Jeez that sucks. I'd imagine if it was an emergency they'd HAVE to get in contact with the parent.

Our reception was closed at lunchtime.

I just think it's too dangerous, say you were out of the school and you saw someone being attacked or run over, it seems silly to have to go all the way back to school just to call 999 :S

MKR&*42
31-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Our reception was closed at lunchtime.

I just think it's too dangerous, say you were out of the school and you saw someone being attacked or run over, it seems silly to have to go all the way back to school just to call 999 :S

Oh, really. Jeez, it's amazing how different schools are lol.

I will admit though, that is most likely the biggest problem regarding this supposed ban. If you're walking home and see a serious crime or incident help, then it is a bit tedious having to run back to school and ask to use a phone. Although I wouldn't imagine it happens much, it could be an issue.

But once you start making exceptions, teens overdo the limit. Before you know it, they'll start saying "I need to text my friend this message about tonight... it's an emergency blah blah".

lawrawrrr
31-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh, really. Jeez, it's amazing how different schools are lol.

I will admit though, that is most likely the biggest problem regarding this supposed ban. If you're walking home and see a serious crime or incident help, then it is a bit tedious having to run back to school and ask to use a phone. Although I wouldn't imagine it happens much, it could be an issue.

But once you start making exceptions, teens overdo the limit. Before you know it, they'll start saying "I need to text my friend this message about tonight... it's an emergency blah blah".

mmhm. I understand that it takes away from lessons, but I think that the most extent you can go to is banning pupils from using them, or possibly even taking them away at the beginning of each lesson/day. My friend's school they do have to hand their phones in for some lessons, there's a big box at the front of the classrooms.

Samantha
31-05-2012, 06:17 PM
I remember one time it was non uniform, I forgot my stationary, my money and my phone (I might not have had a phone tbh) so at dinner (as I knew the receptionists wouldn't let me ring home) I walked home, considering i was about 12, our dinner was 30 mins long and it took me 20 mins to get home. If I had had a phone (or should i aay if I wasn't allowed a phone) would that be fair? Made me late to next lesson too - wait it was sports day and It got cancellwd when we ot to school.

Also, in college if my lessons cancelled I need to ring my parents, I had this lesson which was cancellwd and if I wasn't able to contact ky dad I would be waiting over an hour. I think phones are needed imo

triston220
31-05-2012, 06:54 PM
The only time we're allowed phones is during break and dinner. If there was an emergency though, we could call home.

Absently
31-05-2012, 07:07 PM
our school was always quite reasonable. technically, you weren't supposed to use it during school hours, but for lunches and you were outside, you could use it all you want. i never really texted during class, only if i wanted to go home, i'd text my mum asking to ring the school to let me home. as you got older though in our school, it didn't matter if you used your mobile as you're there out of your own choice and you either want to listen or not. so even if a mobile went off, it was ignored. i don't think you should be forbidden as sometimes you don't want to speak openly that you need to go home, 'cus lots of people are quite shy or might feel uncomfortable etc.

kuzkasate
31-05-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm sure if the government banned mobile phones, school would change this.

I reckon if its private, you could speak to an SSO and they'd let you phone privately.

My school was pretty laid back about phones, you could get it out in lesson several times and get a few warnings - hardly ever took it off you. Now they're trying to change that - your phone must be switched off at all times when you're in the 'phone zone' in your bag. The phone zone is basically everywhere that isn't outside or the canteen :P But yeah, if government do implement this (which I hope they do) I think that schools would definitely let pupils ring home, urgent or not. I just know how much it distracts in schools and I actually know people that have failed GCSE's because of it - seems kind of stupid but it's true & it distracts others too, especially when a teacher has to stop to give someone a 'telling off' - it just wastes time of others.

Chris
31-05-2012, 10:30 PM
They were allowed in my school but were to be switched off and only to be used for emergency's. In my college no one cares about mobiles, it seems most people use them freely in class.

Anyway, I think this is an impossible thing to enforce so they would be wasting their time trying.

Mathew
31-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Ah, the government are trying to get involved where it doesn't concern them - it doesn't seem possible to enforce effectively anyway. At the end of the day, if you're using your phone in a lesson then it's showing a complete lack of respect for the teacher and others in the class. I do hope they're not saying that texting is responsible for an apparent diminishing of good language usage. Somehow, I just can't see that being the case at all.

GommeInc
31-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Pointless law. It should be done on a localised, school level. Let the school set their rules, not have the Government waste millions to draft a Bill and push it through to become law when a school can do it in 5 seconds with a "No phones in school or in lessons". Easy. My school did it, you give it in at the beginning of the day. It's so worryingly bizarre that the Government and the school system is so incompetent.

-:Undertaker:-
01-06-2012, 01:39 AM
While I support this as a school policy, I fail to see why government needs to introduce this legislation when schools that are perfectly capable of banning them now do (not many I know) and those that aren't capable of any kind of discipline still won't be able to after a piece of paper is passed as law in Parliament.

Ah but then I forgot, we live in a political age of cheap headline policy stunts as to avoid any real political discussion.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!