PDA

View Full Version : Queen Elizabeth II - Platinum Jubilee

Geiranger
05-06-2012, 12:59 AM
As you all know yesterday was the Diamond Jubilee. In 2022 HRH will be able to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee. If this was to happen she would be the longest reining monarch ever! She would be aged 95 years and 292 days old. I'd like to wish her a very happy rein.

My question to you is would you like to see her rein for another 10 years or hand-over to the next inline to the throne?!

Paige.
05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Personally, I would like to see her rein for another 10 years because being the longest reining monarch ever is an amazing achievement.

CrazyLemurs
05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I do believe she would celebrate it in 2027, as that'll be 75 years, rather than celebrating 70.
And I think I'd prefer to keep our Queen and historically, kings are the ones that cause us to fight all the wars.

Aiden
05-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I hope she is queen for 10more years too but I want to see her die so their can be a new king. Will the next king be William because Charles is getting old?

Jssy
05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I would like to see her rein longer, I think she is so nice. I heard that william and kate are next in line to throne, not charles, but we'll see what happens

Red
05-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Aww I would love to see her reign for 10 more if she was up to it. Hopefully she lives as long as her mum! I think I will find it strange having to sing King in the national anthem.

CrazyLemurs
05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Kate doesn't get the throne cos when she married in there was some rule that meant that marrying someone in line to the throne didn't assure you a spot
It'd be King William and Princess Kate, I think.

dbgtz
05-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Kate doesn't get the throne cos when she married in there was some rule that meant that marrying someone in line to the throne didn't assure you a spot
It'd be King William and Princess Kate, I think.

I thought this too, but she would be Queen.

Anyway I wouldn't say no to another 10 or so years, but the likelyhood of it happening is quite slim.

Jordan
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I hope she is queen for 10more years too but I want to see her die so their can be a new king. Will the next king be William because Charles is getting old?

No lol, We will most likely see him as King for a while with Camilla being the Queen Consort. But we will also see William and Kate do the same.

I would like to see the Queen get to her Platinum, I think she will make it as well.

lawrawrrr
05-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't see her living for another 10 years... but she technically only has to reign for 4 more years to be the longest monarch!

I have a feeling she'll probably give up the throne when Phillip dies (if he dies first, that is!)

mrwoooooooo
05-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't see her living for another 10 years... but she technically only has to reign for 4 more years to be the longest monarch!

I have a feeling she'll probably give up the throne when Phillip dies (if he dies first, that is!)
She has said that she will never retire.

Hopefully they skip Charles and go straight to having William as king and Kate as Queen, Won't happen though.

lawrawrrr
05-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Hopefully they skip Charles and go straight to having William as king and Kate as Queen, Won't happen though.

Yeah but it's gonna be hard for her if her husband dies and she has to do it by herself, she can't imagine what that's going to feel like!

mrwoooooooo
05-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah but it's gonna be hard for her if her husband dies and she has to do it by herself, she can't imagine what that's going to feel like!
Do what by herself?

(I assume Prince Charles would take a higher role, etc etc)

Geiranger
05-06-2012, 02:13 PM

No, Charles in next in line. Then William

lawrawrrr
Do what by herself?

(I assume Prince Charles would take a higher role, etc etc)

Just be able to be a strong figurehead. She doesn't really do much as far as I'm aware, but can you imagine losing your husband of that long and still having to travel round the world alone?

-:Undertaker:-
I hope Her Majesty reigns for many more years, and i'm sure she will seeing as the Queen Mother lived until she was 102 and was in fantastic health until her death - the Queen is currently 86. As for when she passes, Prince Charles will make an excellent King Charles III i'm sure. A few people are slightly confused about what happens when the Queen does pass on though, and it goes like this..

In British (and Commonwealth) law, when a Sovereign dies the next in line immediately becomes the King or Queen. In that event, from the moment Queen Elizabeth II passed away, Prince Charles would become King Charles III without even having to sign papers - this ancient law was brought in to provide stability hundreds of years ago to prevent fighting over the Crown hence the saying "the King is dead, Long Live the King!" ... the then-King Charles III would have the option of abdicating should he wish to (its happened before) in favour of Prince William which would mean Charles would rule for a few hours or few days/weeks but would still have been King.

If Prince Charles took the throne, he and Camilla would be known as King Charles III & Queen Camilla ... the same with William and Catherine, they would be known as King William V & Queen Catherine - the reason why Prince Phillip is not 'King' is because King is the superior title in Royalty which would undermine the ruling sovereign (his wife).

They do have the option though of choosing any name as King, there are *rumours* that Prince Charles would choose George as his regal name.

Er why exactly? is it a) because you find William/Catherine attractive or is it b) you're a Diana sobber?

It's usually one of the two although thankfully they won't even be considered.

mrwoooooooo
05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I hope Her Majesty reigns for many more years, and i'm sure she will seeing as the Queen Mother lived until she was 102 and was in fantastic health until her death - the Queen is currently 86. As for when she passes, Prince Charles will make an excellent King Charles III i'm sure. A few people are slightly confused about what happens when the Queen does pass on though, and it goes like this..

In British (and Commonwealth) law, when a Sovereign dies the next in line immediately becomes the King or Queen. In that event, from the moment Queen Elizabeth II passed away, Prince Charles would become King Charles III without even having to sign papers - this ancient law was brought in to provide stability hundreds of years ago to prevent fighting over the Crown hence the saying "the King is dead, Long Live the King!" ... the then-King Charles III would have the option of abdicating should he wish to (its happened before) in favour of Prince William which would mean Charles would rule for a few hours or few days/weeks but would still have been King.

If Prince Charles took the throne, he and Camilla would be known as King Charles III & Queen Camilla ... the same with William and Catherine, they would be known as King William V & Queen Catherine - the reason why Prince Phillip is not 'King' is because King is the superior title in Royalty which would undermine the ruling sovereign (his wife).

They do have the option though of choosing any name as King, there are *rumours* that Prince Charles would choose George as his regal name.

Er why exactly? is it a) because you find William/Catherine attractive or is it b) you're a Diana sobber?

It's usually one of the two.
Because Charles is 63 and I would prefer a younger monarch.

One does find yourself most rude.

05-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Because Charles is 63 and I would prefer a younger monarch.

One does find yourself most rude.

Ah so no reason then really apart from looks (as I guessed), thank heavens we don't elect the Monarchy is all I can say.

mrwoooooooo
05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Ah so no reason then really apart from looks, thank heavens we don't elect the Monarchy is all I can say.
Yes, because what I posted contained any link regarding their looks :rolleyes:

More like that I would prefer a more youthful monarch's ideology.

But you go ahead, keep jumping to your own conclusions. You do know everything about everything in this forum after all. Or so you like to think.

05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, because what I posted contained any link regarding their looks :rolleyes:

More like that I would prefer a more youthful monarch's ideology.

But you go ahead, keep jumping to your own conclusions. You do know everything about everything in this forum after all. Or so you like to think.

How do you know what the ideology of Prince William is or what he thinks of any topic? I doubt even the Prime Minister knows. And anyway, the ideology of a Monarch is irrelevant - a poor excuse for picking somebody based purely on facial appearance. No wonder all of our recent Prime Ministers have been so useless, it's an expected result when a portion of the public appear to vote based on looks as opposed to policy.

lawrawrrr
05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Ah so no reason then really apart from looks (as I guessed), thank heavens we don't elect the Monarchy is all I can say.

I can't believe i'm actually going to agree with you....

It seems ridiculous to want william&kate simply because they're younger and prettier. I'm sure Charles will do a great job.

I thought that Camilla was going to be the consort or something though, because of the whole Diana debacle?

Hecktix
05-06-2012, 02:33 PM
How do you know what the ideology of Prince William is or what he thinks of any topic? I doubt even the Prime Minister knows. And anyway, the ideology of a Monarch is irrelevant - a poor excuse for picking somebody based purely on facial appearance. No wonder all of our recent Prime Ministers have been so useless, it's an expected result when a portion of the public appear to vote based on looks as opposed to policy.

Oh yes the thought of electing the person with the most power in the entire country is absolutely absurd. I see you're still spending your days belittling youngsters on this forum, sad sad man.

05-06-2012, 02:37 PM
I see you're still spending your days belittling youngsters on this forum, sad sad man.

Ah, and so the Republicans crawl out from under their rocks.

Oh yes the thought of electing the person with the most power in the entire country is absolutely absurd.

a) Only in theory, the Monarch exercises no power so the argument is void.
b) You supported Blair and Brown did you not? so I find your judgement when it comes to electing people to high office absolutely absurd.

Blair, Brown, Obama, Cameron and other politicians would kill for the level of popularity and support that Her Majesty has.

I thought that Camilla was going to be the consort or something though, because of the whole Diana debacle?

I read a while back that Charles is determined to have Camilla as Queen, I agree with him - I think many have warmed to Camilla now anyway.

Caution
05-06-2012, 02:45 PM

It's usually one of the two although thankfully they won't even be considered.

Diana sobber? The future Head of the CofE committed adultery and divorced his wife, you can hardly blame people for disliking him..

Anyway, related to the jubilee, I saw this pic on Twitter and I love it
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/2687763_700b.jpg

Hecktix
05-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Ah, and so the Republicans crawl out from under their rocks.

a) Only in theory, the Monarch exercises no power so the argument is void.
b) You supported Blair and Brown did you not? so I find your judgement when it comes to electing people to high office absolutely absurd.

Blair, Brown, Obama, Cameron and other politicians would kill for the level of popularity and support that Her Majesty has.

Irrelevant of who voted for who, everybody is entitled to their vote and this should be the case for the monarchy too (should we even have one). Too much public money is wasted on this monarchy.

Samantha.
05-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I would like to see her be Queen for long, be nice to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee :)

05-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Diana sobber? The future Head of the CofE committed adultery and divorced his wife, you can hardly blame people for disliking him..

A fair portion of the British public now either engage in these activities or find them acceptable, which is sad I know - but I don't see what their problem is with Prince Charles doing it when they either do it themselves or have friends/family that do it without batting an eyelid. I'm religious and it doesn't sit well with me I admit, but I cannot stand it when I see atheists and the likes using this as an excuse to bash Prince Charles/the Monarchy.

Irrelevant of who voted for who, everybody is entitled to their vote and this should be the case for the monarchy too (should we even have one).

Just because something is elected doesn't make it better, we don't have to look past our own political class to see this. I agree though that when something exercises power on a grand scale (such as the Prime Minister, the European Commission, the Government) it should be elected - however, the Monarchy does not exercise power so it's irrelevant - just as we don't elect NATO Generals, Royal Navy Admirals or Judges.

A referendum on the Monarchy itself though I would have no problem with, as 80% odd of the public support the Monarchy which enjoys much higher poll ratings than any of its elected governments or Prime Ministers.

Too much public money is wasted on this monarchy.

The usual Republican rubbish, please read into the Crown Estate and how its profits are turned over to the government every year meaning the Royal Family actually contributes to the Treasury. Or watch this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

geo
05-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Was just talking about this with my dad. It would be lovely to see her have another Jubilee and to be the lovely for her to be the longest reining monarch!

Anyway, related to the jubilee, I saw this pic on Twitter and I love it
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/2687763_700b.jpg

That's lovely. Both of those pictures are adorable. :')

Mathew
05-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Charles will be a great King and I think he's gained a lot of respect over the past few weeks. He started off presenting the weather; he spent some time at a party in Picadilly a couple of days ago; and last night I'd say his speech was a highlight of the whole celebration. The Monarchy (and the role it plays in society) has changed so much over the past 100 years - Queen Victoria was rarely seen in public, but now in the age of social networking and the media this is no longer an option. The only method of communicating with the public was to paste a message on the gates of Buckingham Palace - now, the Royal Family's life is transmitted into our homes each and every day. They must keep up with the change in society, and I think they're doing a very good job indeed.

As for by-passing Charles and going straight to William - don't be ridiculous. That just isn't how things should go! I do find it really interesting how we could potentially live through three or even four Monarchs in our lifetime. :)

05-06-2012, 03:09 PM
And i'll just add (as I cannot edit), that even if the Monarchy did cost us money - it is worth every penny, much more so than the money that is spent on EU contributions and foreign aid etc - not only that, but a Presidential system would also cost money without the revenue from the Crown Estate/tourism.

Finally, we're forgetting the most important role of the Monarchy - it keeps the politicians under control, its our constitutional safeguard.

Pigperson
05-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I think, like most a record reign would be better although it isn't like a big deal in my opinion.

Will

iBlueBox
05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Would anyone say that Charles is more socialable then Elizabeth?

Mathew
05-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Would anyone say that Charles is more socialable then Elizabeth?
I think we need to give consideration to the circumstance before making such a generalisation, although it's a good point for discussion. Over the past couple of days at least, I think we need to remember that Prince Philip has been rushed to hospital and the Queen is naturally worried in that aspect. It's clear to see that she is most comfortable with him by her side, and I think the speeches that she, and others, give are a testament to that opinion. I enjoy watching the Queen when she attends Epsom because you really see her in her element - she is clearly very knowledgeable in that area and you can tell she is happy to be there. Even on the Royal barge a couple of days ago, she was happy with Prince Philip being there.

I had a discussion with my parents last night and asked whether they thought the Queen should have said a few words after the concert. On one hand, it could be seen that Prince Charles is taking the spotlight (with his televised tribute and speech last night), but I think we need to remember that this is in celebration OF her. It's not so much a question of whether she is less socialable, but it's more to do with the occasion. After all, her message of thanks will be broadcast in just 20 minutes, and I think that will be the perfect, justified conclusion to what has been a magical few days.

Seikou
05-06-2012, 05:01 PM
i hope she does, it would be good to see her reign until then!

Nli.
05-06-2012, 07:59 PM
I think the Monarchy are a lot more popular than they once were, you only have to look at the amount of people that attended the events in London over the weekend and up and down the country. Overall as a country we love them, and no one can really disagree with that. It's not only the United Kingdom that have affection for the Royal Family but all over the world.

I do think that the Queen will continue to reign for another 10 years, or until she can no longer continue for whatever reason, whether it's health or whatever. As someone has previously mentioned Prince Charles will become King eventually, whether or not he would continue is another question. But after the Queen, I would like to think that Prince Charles would continue to be King - although baring in mind he would be 73 (if the Queen were to 'drop out' after 70 years on the Throne).

I personally, don't think Charles would give it up straight away to William. After all he has spent his entire life being prepped and whatnot to become King.

I can also see why some people would like William to become King next, probably in order to 'modernise' the whole thing due to his age and so on. But no matter what their age the traditions will still be continued as they are now.

Jurv
06-06-2012, 09:21 AM
i really do hope she makes it but only time will tell. it would be a fantastic achievement for her and it would also be a fantastic occasion to witness too.

Jazz
06-06-2012, 06:44 PM
i really hope she reaches her platinum jubilee! I think she is a great monarch

Ellz
06-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd love to see her make it to her Platinum but she would be 95 and you just don't know if she'll make it!

GommeInc
06-06-2012, 11:18 PM
It would be impressive to her reach the Platinum level. I feel wrong speculating whether she will or not, and simply disregard such thoughts :P

As for Charles, he's strangely 'down with the kids'. He's modern, understands popular culture (his reactions during the show are evidence enough) and he seems like a decent person, as do all the royals'.

shiver
07-06-2012, 10:43 PM
i love the queen and all of this patriotism during the jubilee, i say LONG LIVE THE QUEEN would love to see a platinum jubilee. she's healthy so i don't see why she wouldn't make it another 10 years

Fifty-Six
20-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Don't really see her much here in Canada, but being a part of the Commonwealth it would be nice to see her make it to her platinum jubilee. However, it'd be interesting to have a male portrait on the back side of our coins :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!