PDA

View Full Version : LinkedIn Security Breach

peteyt
07-06-2012, 11:03 PM
LinkedIn has recently had a load of its users passwords leaked online by hackers. This is due to its mobile app sending unencrypted entries to LinkedIn Servers.

Since then some users have received fake emails claiming to be from LinkedIn asking for users to confirm their email address - like many scam emails, the link obviously goes to a scammers site and most people used to computers will be able to realise that the emails are a scam but sadly some will fall for it.

What has annoyed me more is that I heard about this from the BBC news site on my phone the other day while at work on my break. I then noticed later on an update to the phone app, that seemed very generic in my opinion, basically stating bug fixes etc. nothing stating the full extent of the problem. LinkedIn also haven't emailed me.

Now I rarely use the site or the app, but I'd have thought they would have contacted everyone with an email letting people know so those effected would realise and quickly change their password.

Edit - Seems those who had passwords released to the Russian Forum that has been providing them, received emails and passwords for these users have been reset. But those who haven't received an email and read about the issue may think they might be effected and panic so an email would be good no matter what. Seems Last FM also has problems similar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18338956
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18351986

mrwoooooooo
07-06-2012, 11:07 PM
The chances of someone actually bothering to decrypt your password is very low. (Before you manage to change it anyway)

peteyt
07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
The chances of someone actually bothering to decrypt your password is very low. (Before you manage to change it anyway)

Even so I think it's not hard to email everyone - people would rather know then find out later and be more annoyed.

Jutnux
09-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Presuming the passwords are hashed with md5 (which sucks) the passwords can't be decrypted.

GoldenMerc
09-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Pretty disapointing, can't say much other business's would care much ether though... Selfish.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!