PDA

View Full Version : Website for Arguing!

AS2C
10-06-2012, 01:28 AM
http://aftt.heliohost.org

TLDR: website that lets you have organized arguments with friends. I just released it and would like feedback.

I always enjoy arguing/debating with friends (and enemies, lol), but I feel like there aren't many ways to do so effectively. Typically, when you have a disagreement with someone, a chaotic back and forth ensues with no structure. I think formal debate falls into a similar trap: the two sides alternate. Sure, you can sometimes address an opponents point in the middle of things, but what about the times where you can't?

Consider this scenario: your friend is trying to convince you of something, but you disagree with something he said. You bring it up, but he disagrees with your response! This continues, and before you know it, neither of you have any idea what the original argument was. That's where my website comes in.

On the site, you start out by creating an argument. An argument has two things on AFTT, a claim and a score. The claim is what you're arguing, for example "America would be better off if gay marriage were legalized in all states." (this is just an example). The score says how valid that claim is, with 0 being totally false and 100 being completely true. All arguments start out at 50, which is right in the middle.

After you've created an argument, you can start adding points to support it or refute it. Here's the interesting part: the points themselves are arguments! Think argument-ception! That means that if you click on a point, you can argue THAT point on a separate page! (also, you need to invite people in order for them to be able to see an argument).

Everyone can participate at the same time, or they can add points hours apart. There's no real start and end to an argument on AFTT (you can informally set one with your friends though, of course). You argue until both sides feel like the issue has been resolved.

I have a lot of plans for the site, and the current version just contains the basic functionality. Also, if you're a web designer who would be willing to make my site look pretty I would really appreciate it! So, what do you guys think?

Milarz
10-06-2012, 07:40 AM
So your expecting everyone to join to argue? otherwise it's probably better off, being known as debating.

Chippiewill
10-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Did you just put the TL;DR at the beginning of your post?

alede
10-06-2012, 03:53 PM
One reason why I wouldn't use it because it don't look professional, free sub domain, layout just looks as if it was done on a website builder that was free to download. If anything u need to get a new domain such as aftt.com and get a new design till ten I doubt I will be using it at all.

Kyle
10-06-2012, 04:05 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209

AS2C
10-06-2012, 07:48 PM
So your expecting everyone to join to argue? otherwise it's probably better off, being known as debating.
Yeah I haven't decided on a name yet. I didn't call it debating because whenever I hear that I think formal debate with all the official rules, and this definitely is not that. There are other sites where you can 'debate', but this is different so I decided to go with 'argue'.

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 12:51 PM ----------

One reason why I wouldn't use it because it don't look professional, free sub domain, layout just looks as if it was done on a website builder that was free to download. If anything u need to get a new domain such as aftt.com and get a new design till ten I doubt I will be using it at all.
I made the design myself without any free builders and I have 0 cash so I can't register my own domain name (not going to waste time with a .tk or .co.cc either). Making it more professional is definitely planned, but I can't do that til people start using it which sucks because it's kind of circular.

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 12:52 PM ----------

http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209

Did you read my post? This is so much more than a one dimensional topic-post forum.

peteyt
11-06-2012, 03:38 AM
Some people on here will design for free. But I've always been under the belief you should only run a pro site if you have at least enough money to do so - Lot's of people try when they are too young and they can't fund it to make it actually look decent - I was never that interested anyway's but I waited till I had a job so could at least afford the basics

AS2C
11-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Some people on here will design for free. But I've always been under the belief you should only run a pro site if you have at least enough money to do so - Lot's of people try when they are too young and they can't fund it to make it actually look decent - I was never that interested anyway's but I waited till I had a job so could at least afford the basics

I have another site that has gotten a couple hundred dollars in donations, but all of that has gone right back into paying for hosting. I guess my only hope now is to try and funnel some of the to this site, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. Anyway, I started making a better looking template. I've always hated css though so it'll take a while...

AS2C
12-06-2012, 05:57 AM

Re-theming it wasn't that bad since I use MVC architecture. Check out the new layout http://aftt.heliohost.org/. I made it based off a free one I found online (wouldn't let me export it, though, so I had to make it manually from sight...).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!