PDA

View Full Version : Capital FM / Global Radio

Plebings
13-06-2012, 10:15 AM
so decided to create this based on the summertime ball thread, they pretty much rule with an iron fist what the majority public listen to and there have been plenty of shady deals and decisions made, for example the one direction fiasco at the brits. when one direction thanked radio one instead of capital fm (the award they won was voted by capital fm listeners) the founder of global radio and capital fm immediately ordered all one direction songs be removed from their playlists.

their influence can be shown in the forcing and championing of acts like cover drive, which without capital's influence, twilight would have surely flopped.

do you listen to capital fm? and if so do you think they overplay their songs?

in comparison to radio one, capital fm tend to stick to the same songs and artists.

http://comparemyradio.com/compare/Capital_FM/BBC_Radio_1

it's worth noting that within the last month, capital fm have only played 172 unique songs, and 400+ plays of jessie j, if 400 doesn't sound a lot, that is on average 13 jessie j plays a day, a jessie j song played every 2 hours.

that is my mega bias opinion anyway.

do you listen to capital fm and wish to defend it? do you agree with their snubbing of certain artists, in recent times like alexandra burke

Samantha.
13-06-2012, 11:45 AM
I listen to capital fm while i'm at work. It drives me insane on how often they play the same song or the same artist in a short space of time. I was working a 6 hour shift once and I heard Rita Ora - R.I.P 4 times in the space of 6 hours which is ridiculous. I have noticed that recently they have been starting to through in some old song but they're still by the same artist that get played all the time like Rihanna, Chris Brown, Jessie J etc.

Plebings
13-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I listen to capital fm while i'm at work. It drives me insane on how often they play the same song or the same artist in a short space of time. I was working a 6 hour shift once and I heard Rita Ora - R.I.P 4 times in the space of 6 hours which is ridiculous. I have noticed that recently they have been starting to through in some old song but they're still by the same artist that get played all the time like Rihanna, Chris Brown, Jessie J etc.

so do you like capital fm overall though? is it good to have the reliable artists repeated that you know you'll enjoy?

Samantha.
13-06-2012, 12:21 PM
In some ways, yes I do like Capital. I've started to like it because I have no choice to listen to it and I've kind of got used to the fact that they play the same stuff over and over again. But I don't think it's good that they do that because I do get bored of it and then I'll begin to hate the song because I've heard it so many times, so it would be a lot better for them to play a range of different music but they do only tend to play recent chart music which does get annoying yes.

lawrawrrr
13-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I like capital, but they seem to only play recent hits, which annoys me. Personally, I like Heart as I think it has the balance perfect. It's so repetitive on capital, fine if you like chart music. When I worked in a shop last year, they had radio 1 on, and after a 6 hour shift even that got repetitive. I only really listen to either for the official charts.

I don't even like the Capital DJ's, I think R1 is much better.

Plebings
13-06-2012, 12:33 PM
its ridiculous the amount of power they have over new emerging artists though, as well as established ones, it really is a career killer if they don't have you on capital or radio one's playlist.

xxMATTGxx
13-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I was kinda annoyed when they re-branded all of the Galaxy stations to the Capital brand. As that meant they got rid of nearly all of the DJ's at the Manchester station and just kept the breakfast team and anything else is just streamed from London. Saving money I suppose.

Vause
14-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't really listen to the radio if I'm honest, but I do like Capital FM because they play the stuff I wanna hear.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!