PDA

View Full Version : Azealia Banks - Liquorice

Ellz
14-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I quite like it tbh. Its in a spoiler due to all the swearing so watch at your own risk :)

http://youtu.be/CPaXn2XR-P8

sex
14-06-2012, 08:42 PM
ohhhhhh i actually really like this and the video is good too

Hollie
14-06-2012, 09:11 PM
i don't like it as much as 212 but i'm sure it'll probably grow on me :P

shiver
14-06-2012, 11:59 PM
P E R F E C T I O N

and nicola formichetti is an amazing stylist +rep

Succubus
15-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Not too bad, I prefer 212 but this one also has a head bobbing beat to it.

Plebings
15-06-2012, 08:52 AM
probably the only other azealia song that i truly love, the ep is pretty good though (apart from that god awful skit, but skits in general are awful anyway)

mixtape out next month anyway (which will probably be delayed and delayed), looking forward to it!

Lamz
15-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Do i like the instrumental, yes

Do I like the song, no. I don't know what she is trying to do. I liked 212 just because it was a catchy song, this is semi catchy too but I just understand where she is going with the song at all, she's like a hint of Rihanna, lil kim & katy b all in 1 which is very confusing.

and why must she swear so much? Jesus!

Bailey
15-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Probably my favourite song from the EP, prefer it to 212.

Rixion
15-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Love it, all the EP is amazing though.

Plebings
15-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Do I like the song, no. I don't know what she is trying to do. I liked 212 just because it was a catchy song, this is semi catchy too but I just understand where she is going with the song at all, she's like a hint of Rihanna, lil kim & katy b all in 1 which is very confusing.

do you think the song is directionless? she's definitely one of the more interesting acts this year and she merges rap and dance effortlessly.

jasey
16-06-2012, 01:08 AM
there is nothing i can fault about this track
i find it hard to respect anyone who respects iggy over azealia

Eric
16-06-2012, 06:50 AM
i like the instrumental. i think she swears too much and the music video is pretty good

Judas
16-06-2012, 03:37 PM

So because she experiments with different sounds and doesn't stick to conventions within a single genre (unlike a certain other female rapper), that makes her difficult to understand and confusing?

there is nothing i can fault about this track
i find it hard to respect anyone who respects iggy over azealia

Oh my gosh I know

FlyingJesus
16-06-2012, 03:57 PM
She relies far too heavily on shock tactics OMG A GIRL WHO SWEARS THIS HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE!!! The tracks are well made and she's got a lot of talent obviously but it's really nothing that wows me, pretty much a female Sean Paul

Judas
16-06-2012, 04:03 PM
She relies far too heavily on shock tactics OMG A GIRL WHO SWEARS THIS HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE!!! The tracks are well made and she's got a lot of talent obviously but it's really nothing that wows me, pretty much a female Sean Paul

Don't most artists who are aiming for commercial success, though? I wouldn't say swearing is a shock tactic either

Saying she has talent then calling her a female Sean Paul is an interesting comparison, I'd say those are conflicting ideas though lmao

FlyingJesus
16-06-2012, 04:23 PM
That's because you confuse "artists I like" with "talented people"

dirrty
16-06-2012, 04:58 PM
it's alright. i wouldn't be surprised if it'll grow on me though. her attitude/ego is far too big for a new artist though. get the £££ and sales, then come with the attitude.

lmao yeah, i do like sean paul but he is basically dancehall/reggae artist for those who don't listen to dancehall/reggae. him and bob marley.

Lamz
16-06-2012, 05:17 PM
So because she experiments with different sounds and doesn't stick to conventions within a single genre (unlike a certain other female rapper), that makes her difficult to understand and confusing?

I said i find it confusing because she's doing too many things in the song so i don't see where/what she is going to do in future songs like with most artist you can tell if they will do pop, rap, rock, dance etc...

& Nicki Minaj doesn't stick to 1 thing & if you want me to invade your wall with links I can happily do that.

jasey
16-06-2012, 08:08 PM
okay, first off FlyingJesus you can snap your mouth shut about who is 'talented'. you have no right to say and i would list off a few things that you consider your talents that i've had a laugh about with others. it's not a quantitative measurement. when you get a meter that you can plug in to someone and test how talented they are, you can come back and talk. perhaps you are confusing 'people you like' with 'talented' as well!

secondly, i am a huge nicki minaj fan. i admit i'm not as involved in the hip hop scene to have been there a week after her first mixtape but by the second and third were dropping i was in tune with it. both her major label releases have done nothing but impress me. it just drives me crazy when people think 'rap' is a concrete genre like 'thrash metal'. especially with females who rap. you can listen to a variety of songs and you will find tracks with rap that sound more like pop music (with the presence of rapping) or tracks with rap that sound more like soul music or electronic music (again, with the presence of rapping). are you honestly saying that you are going to put 'starships' by nicki minaj, '212' by azealia banks and 'lip gloss' by lil mama in a genre together? it doesn't make any sense to me.

someone saying that azealia banks is like a female sean paul is just laughable. i mean, clearly you aren't comparing the sound of their music. i'd hope not, anyways. are you comparing their careers? their appeal? azealia has not been in the public eye a year yet. let's drop the sandbags of arrogance from the hot air balloon that is your head before you compare her to someone that has been around as long as him. i understand why people don't like nicki minaj because she definitely deviated very quickly to something a bit more mainstream once the success of 'super bass' came through. she's throwing bones here and there to people who like her more urban rapping ('beez in the trap') but it's clear with single choice that she is not on that direct trail anymore. regardless, i like the music. i like the shock value and i find it entertaining. 'roman holiday' was a great track on its own but having the visuals from the grammy awards to go with it just blows my mind. it's my favourite track off her current album. anyways, enough about her.

Lamar. makes me laugh when he complains that he can hear influence from too many artists in this song. is that a problem for you? i mean, i don't even hear rihanna in this song during the parts that could be rihanna-sounding. i hear aaliyah. perhaps you're young or perhaps you don't follow the main theme of the ep (check its name again for a hint) but that just sounds ridiculous. i do hear lil kim and you're going to hear lil kim in all sorts of female rap coming out now. she (whether it was biggie or kim writing) had style and influence that still lasts. in memory only.

http://awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/LilKimWTF.jpeg
IN MEMORY ONLY

female rap is developing now the way male rap did in the nineties as far as mainstream appeal goes. if you have a problem with her swearing then perhaps you should, uhh, wait for the kidz bop version or something. she grew up in harlem, not buckingham palace. big up to her for not censoring herself too much and staying true to how and where she became an adult. if you'd like, lamar, i can remind you of a few lines from another rap song you have posted in favour of (y u mad).

*ahem*

this ***** clean this ***** squeaky
that ***** old that ***** creaky
**** y'all *******
i'm old school and i'll smack a *****
take notes ******, head coach ******
we done took off ******
got the game on lock like football ******
******* think they fly
i bet i can turn that ***** in to a ******* fire hydrant
these **** are thirsty like mother******* hiccups
i am a beast *** to say the least ***
i'll probably **** another ****** girl
this is cash money ****** eat a ****

*exhales sharply*

female rap isn't always great but it's pretty secure that this is a solid taste of an artist with a great prospect at a future. no shade to trina or anything, but would you rather azealia be putting out tracks like this?

now you know that I'm the queen. of miami. all that loud talkin', lyin', save that **** for your mammy! it sounds like blah, blah blah, blah blah blah-blah and i'm like uh-huh, uhh, huh, okay! okay! whassup? whassup? shut up!

Judas
17-06-2012, 12:15 AM
That's because you confuse "artists I like" with "talented people"

No, no I don't.

her attitude/ego is far too big for a new artist though. get the £££ and sales, then come with the attitude.

I agree 100%. She has the talent to back it up but she'd be more likeable if she was a tad more humble and modest for now.

I said i find it confusing because she's doing too many things in the song so i don't see where/what she is going to do in future songs like with most artist you can tell if they will do pop, rap, rock, dance etc...

& Nicki Minaj doesn't stick to 1 thing & if you want me to invade your wall with links I can happily do that.

What kind of things is she doing in the song that you find so confusing?

I'm aware Nicki doesn't stick to one thing, she does mediocre rap songs and then she does sell out dance-pop tracks on the side to get hits. I was talking about within one song, she sticks to conventions of genres and doesn't really try to break barriers. But that's okay, not saying her basic-ness is necessarily a bad thing.

FlyingJesus
17-06-2012, 12:52 AM
okay, first off FlyingJesus you can snap your mouth shut about who is 'talented'. you have no right to say and i would list off a few things that you consider your talents that i've had a laugh about with others. it's not a quantitative measurement. when you get a meter that you can plug in to someone and test how talented they are, you can come back and talk. perhaps you are confusing 'people you like' with 'talented' as well!

This is totally hilarious. I said she is talented, but good try, and nice ad hominem

secondly, i am a huge nicki minaj fan. i admit i'm not as involved in the hip hop scene to have been there a week after her first mixtape but by the second and third were dropping i was in tune with it. both her major label releases have done nothing but impress me. it just drives me crazy when people think 'rap' is a concrete genre like 'thrash metal'. especially with females who rap. you can listen to a variety of songs and you will find tracks with rap that sound more like pop music (with the presence of rapping) or tracks with rap that sound more like soul music or electronic music (again, with the presence of rapping). are you honestly saying that you are going to put 'starships' by nicki minaj, '212' by azealia banks and 'lip gloss' by lil mama in a genre together? it doesn't make any sense to me.

Didn't say anything about Nicki Minaj but ok

someone saying that azealia banks is like a female sean paul is just laughable. i mean, clearly you aren't comparing the sound of their music. i'd hope not, anyways. are you comparing their careers? their appeal? azealia has not been in the public eye a year yet. let's drop the sandbags of arrogance from the hot air balloon that is your head before you compare her to someone that has been around as long as him.

No I'm not comparing the sound of their music or their careers or their appeal. If I'd been doing any such thing I'd have said so, but what I quite clearly stated as the similarity was how comparatively little I enjoy their music for how talented they are musically. I'm pretty sure nothing that I said has anything to do with ego, I merely stated my opinions as everyone else has - it's you who's taken it upon yourself to get holier-than-thou without apparently reading what I've actually put. Really Jason, it would be great if you'd learn to reply to posts rather than people

jasey
17-06-2012, 05:23 AM
This is totally hilarious. I said she is talented, but good try, and nice ad hominem
oh my i know how funny it must be when people actually put effort in to replying you your walled garden of bizarre arrogance. totally hilarious, in fact. i see you've been reading the wikipedia on logical fallacies! wait, i don't want to assume. did someone just tell you what ad hominem was in a previous argument or something? i guess i have to re-teach you anyways! it wasn't an ad hominem. i didn't say "you can't decide what is talented because you are not talented in picking a skilled hairdresser," but rather i found it an ironic thing on the side that you are talking about talent so recently after i had the same discussion about your assumed talents with someone else. cheery fun, that's all! in any case, the argument stands. you don't get to decide who is talented. you dig?

anything after the first paragraph was not directed at you. if you were wondering why i mentioned bizarre arrogance earlier in this post, there's a prime example. i was addressing the general debate in the whole in that post because not only has nicki minaj been brought up in this thread but she has been constantly associated with azealia banks since '212' dropped. i don't know why you tell me to reply to posts and not people and then proceed to tell me i am 'holier-than-thou'. tom, shall i use the lovely search function to find more examples of you picking out my bad qualities when i don't deal with your ********? i can do that when i get time tomorrow or the day after. let me know, or err, if you don't want it posted i can send it as a private message. i'm big on being discrete, you know me.

cheers to your reply but i was kind of looking forward to lamar giving me a response first as i was more excited at what i had typed to him. even still, i was kind of concerned that everyone would abandon the thread as has happened in the past. for example, when i asked a certain member on this forum why their 'webdevelopment examples' were so inconsistent and dodgy in sequence. he saw the thread but never replied and then it mysteriously disappeared a week later or something. it left me wondering! thank you for always being one to pop your name in to a thread when you can.

it's crazy, i'm listening to azealia banks right now. not to throw bad words but every time i get bored of the short length that '1991 ep' is, i put on any song by iggy and realise how lucky i am as far as having a second amazing female rapper really come to the forefront in the past bit. maybe, like, iggy and kray can join together and have a little female 'watch the throne' or something. they can call it 'watch the speculum'.

Judas
17-06-2012, 11:41 AM
well at least there's an actual debate happening instead of the "I lyk dis song eheh :) xox"

---------- Post added 17-06-2012 at 12:44 PM ----------

it's crazy, i'm listening to azealia banks right now. not to throw bad words but every time i get bored of the short length that '1991 ep' is, i put on any song by iggy and realise how lucky i am as far as having a second amazing female rapper really come to the forefront in the past bit. maybe, like, iggy and kray can join together and have a little female 'watch the throne' or something. they can call it 'watch the speculum'.

omg lmao

FlyingJesus
17-06-2012, 03:04 PM
I genuinely don't get what you're trying to argue here, are you telling me off for giving someone a compliment? Really not sure why me giving an opinion has escalated like this. Also I apologise for assuming that the rest of the post was directed at me but the 1st paragraph and beginning of the 3rd paragraph were, hence the confusion there. Honest mistake

Lamz
19-06-2012, 04:03 PM
jasey; oh I'm sorry mr know it all. I posted my opinion saying I find the song confusing because I think she is doing too much.

I find her flow & attitude very Lil' Kim ish.
Her lyrical content is very Rihanna.
& her whole approach to dance music is very Katy B the way Katy B tried to urbanise dance.

i don't find this a good mix, yes Nicki does some crazy **** too in her music but if she is making pop she makes pop if she makes dance she'll be dance & if she makes rap she'll be Nicki. She blends into the genre & makes it a Nicki track.

With this Amelia or w.e woman I don't think she blends in with the genre that well & is trying to make an impact & stand out too much.

Judas;]

jasey
19-06-2012, 04:34 PM
jasey; oh I'm sorry mr know it all. I posted my opinion saying I find the song confusing because I think she is doing too much.

& her whole approach to dance music is very Katy B the way Katy B tried to urbanise dance.

i don't find this a good mix, yes Nicki does some crazy **** too in her music but if she is making pop she makes pop if she makes dance she'll be dance & if she makes rap she'll be Nicki. She blends into the genre & makes it a Nicki track.

With this Amelia or w.e woman I don't think she blends in with the genre that well & is trying to make an impact & stand out too much.

ooh, lamar, you responded! i'm not a 'know it all'. in fact, i'm even more confused now as to before. i thought you heard rihanna when azealia sang parts of her songs. now you're telling me it is lyrical content? i agree with the lil' kim reference — and i'm pretty sure azealia does as well as the ep is meant to throwback to the nineties — but the rihanna thing is just absurb. you can show me some lyrical content that makes you think a manufactured tabloid pop icon inspired azealia. please don't include any lyrics referencing violence or sex or sexual violence as these are mainstays of the music industry today and can be found in more songs than rihanna has in her catalogue. not to mention, many people did it before ms. fenty.

i don't understand what you are saying in your nicki reference. are you talking about nicki or azealia? either way, it's absurb. if you are saying that "when nicki does dance she is dance but when nicki does rap she is nicki" then you clearly don't realise nicki's spectrum of musical influence and interest. nicki is not only rap and for you to tell her she isn't herself unless she only does rap is just, well, it's just so typical of the music section here. if that is not what you were saying and you were instead saying that azealia banks is nicki when she raps, i have to disagree. hugely. incredibly. there's a reason why (and i'm a big nicki fan, big up barbz) people slate nicki on pretty much every mention of azealia. they are barely alike and people see azealia as a fresh alternative to what they don't like about onika. more or less, don't tell people they can't blend dance or pop with rap. i already explained why so if you are lost for words you can go back and read my prior posts. err, also, i don't think katy b was getting the attention that azealia is getting. at all, it doesn't even compare. what the heck is 'urbanising dance'? dance music is very urban and has been before katy b or azealia banks. it's kind of telling when you look at all the dance and pop artists that have rap verses or features on their biggest tracks for years and years back. i really want to believe you are talking out of your neck but half of me thinks you are actually validating these thoughts in your brain.

i have to say that it is funny that you call her 'this amelia or w.e woman' when you clearly know her name. i mean, you listened to 212 and now you're listening to liqourice. let's not play dumb for the sake of our arguments! we know you know her name. i mean, i know you know her name.

have a nice evening, lamar.

dirrty
19-06-2012, 04:45 PM
omg you care far too much jasey; lmaooooo

Plebings
19-06-2012, 04:47 PM
bloody hell at this thread

but i agree with jasey about the katy b comparisons, its very 90s dance, nothing new (but still amazing)

The Don
19-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Judas;]

Ignore Jasey, didn't you know he's always right and also happens to be an expert in just about every field of interest there is?... :rolleyes:

I didn't like it, I love 212 though. Maybe it'll grow on me...

Ardemax
19-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm sure I've heard a bit of that song somewhere before... well it sounds familiar.

Also can I just say that, jasey, it probably wouldn't hurt to calm down...

Lamz
19-06-2012, 07:27 PM
ooh, lamar, you responded! i'm not a 'know it all'. in fact, i'm even more confused now as to before. i thought you heard rihanna when azealia sang parts of her songs. now you're telling me it is lyrical content? i agree with the lil' kim reference — and i'm pretty sure azealia does as well as the ep is meant to throwback to the nineties — but the rihanna thing is just absurb. you can show me some lyrical content that makes you think a manufactured tabloid pop icon inspired azealia. please don't include any lyrics referencing violence or sex or sexual violence as these are mainstays of the music industry today and can be found in more songs than rihanna has in her catalogue. not to mention, many people did it before ms. fenty.

i don't understand what you are saying in your nicki reference. are you talking about nicki or azealia? either way, it's absurb. if you are saying that "when nicki does dance she is dance but when nicki does rap she is nicki" then you clearly don't realise nicki's spectrum of musical influence and interest. nicki is not only rap and for you to tell her she isn't herself unless she only does rap is just, well, it's just so typical of the music section here. if that is not what you were saying and you were instead saying that azealia banks is nicki when she raps, i have to disagree. hugely. incredibly. there's a reason why (and i'm a big nicki fan, big up barbz) people slate nicki on pretty much every mention of azealia. they are barely alike and people see azealia as a fresh alternative to what they don't like about onika. more or less, don't tell people they can't blend dance or pop with rap. i already explained why so if you are lost for words you can go back and read my prior posts. err, also, i don't think katy b was getting the attention that azealia is getting. at all, it doesn't even compare. what the heck is 'urbanising dance'? dance music is very urban and has been before katy b or azealia banks. it's kind of telling when you look at all the dance and pop artists that have rap verses or features on their biggest tracks for years and years back. i really want to believe you are talking out of your neck but half of me thinks you are actually validating these thoughts in your brain.

i have to say that it is funny that you call her 'this amelia or w.e woman' when you clearly know her name. i mean, you listened to 212 and now you're listening to liqourice. let's not play dumb for the sake of our arguments! we know you know her name. i mean, i know you know her name.

have a nice evening, lamar.

Where the hell do you find time to be posting these long responses? You clearly are a HUGE fan of the azelia (happy now) lady because every post you seem to have some kind of need to say "oh hell no that's not true" then get your back up. If that is the case I'm sorry but she doesn't care about peoples opinions... They are there for the sake of an opinion being an opinion just like every has an opinion on someone else.

ANYWAYS

With the Katy B reference I said she TRIED meaning she attempted but it didn't work.

If you are such a Nicki Fan then please don't ever try and tell me when Nicki does rap... Real rap, she can't because if you listen to her mixtapes... You will see the real Nicki that I was refering to. I don't listen to as much Nicki as I use to because as of late she's slowly becoming a pop star & less of a rapper.

Back to azelia, when I referanced Rihanna yes I did mean the sexual sides of he lyrics, yes it is most of mainstream music now days but Rihanna potrays it the most. Hence why I refuse to listen to her music by choice.

No I haven't listened to this womans EP so I don't know what she's about but going from 212 which is also a very sexually explicit song & this... It's her rapping over dance instrumentals, correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure you will attempt.

Now back to the England game...

jasey
20-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Ignore Jasey, didn't you know he's always right and also happens to be an expert in just about every field of interest there is?... :rolleyes:
yes love you can get back to me when you make a comment on an ethics debate that isn't so fargone from reality

Also can I just say that, jasey, it probably wouldn't hurt to calm down...
yeah i didn't die when you stopped praising king visa and i am still going to live when you tell me to calm, bye now

omg you care far too much jasey; lmaooooo
i feel like a teacher on this forum sometimes, i really do — i found somewhere else to post though

Ardemax
20-06-2012, 06:20 PM
yeah i didn't die when you stopped praising king visa and i am still going to live when you tell me to calm, bye now

that, in my books, makes 0% sense.

i feel like a teacher on this forum sometimes, i really do — i found somewhere else to post though

"i feel like a teacher on this forum sometimes..." really don't need to add to that, but ok, you go gurl

The Don
20-06-2012, 06:26 PM
yes love you can get back to me when you make a comment on an ethics debate that isn't so fargone from reality

Probably pretending that you're an Iranian nun seeking asylum in Sweden on it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!