PDA

View Full Version : genetic engineering

iBlueBox
18-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi, right.

I need about four reasons for and against genetic engineering, I've got a few already such as

for For i've got '' Genetic engineering can effectively cure the future of the human race from diseases. ''

I'll REP you if I use your point.

Munex
18-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Not sure if I understood the question, but here are some points that came to me.

For:

GM plants/animals can be more immune to disease and will be more resilient and can be mass produced/solve world hunger
Genetically engineered meat can offer vegetarians a meat product without harming animals
Organs and other body parts can be grown and used as a transplant on humans
Babies do not have to be born with disabilities as they can be designed perfectly

Against:

Could be seen as morally wrong to "play God"
Food/plants/animals that have had their genes tampered with could potentially poison and kill humans
Genetically modified wildlife could destroy the natural ecosystem and foodchain
We are entering into the unknown - anything could go wrong really

Inseriousity.
18-06-2012, 03:21 PM
The "babies do not have to be born with disabilities as they can be designed perfectly" point can also be twisted as an against and say 'designer babies' will become the fashion, which is unnatural and morally weird to think of the implications.

lawrawrrr
18-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi! I always prefer writing essays and stuff in the format of argument and counter argument so here ya go! Against points in black, for in red! Hope this helps :¬:

* If humans intervene with the delicate balance of the universe through genetic engineering, theu could upset it because they don't understand the balance fully. It could have dangerous consequences for mankind. However, it could actually help too, by creating a better, more stable environment (as before too long we'll run out of fuels for the planet) for future generations and current life too.

* Natural products are preferable to genetically engineered products, despite the latter's risk of disease. However, we don't know what long-term (or even short-term) effects GM foods will have, let alone genetically modified PEOPLE. In the case of Dolly the Sheep, she only lived 6 years, where the average life expectancy for a normal sheep is 8-13 years.

* Genetic engineering could be used as a weapon, like Hitler's idea of the 'perfect race'. Certain groups could modify genetic traits of other groups or individuals to make them inferior (this is known as eugenics) but humankind's morality would stop them from becoming similar to Hitler as they would not want to kill everyone else, it's just to prevent/aid life-threatening or horrible diseases such as Down's syndrome or Autism. We already have abortion available, this would be the kinder alternative. By genetically modifying someone it could actually HELP them to achieve their wishes, but is this really fair if someone else can't afford the treatment?

* Genetic engineering takes away a human's free will, if a parent can genetically modify their child without the child's consent,the child may not want this and it could stunt their actual wishes. But people's genetic makeup already effects wishes - as a short person is never going to be a pro basketball player. Destinies are limited by our existing genes.

Paige.
18-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Advantages:
-Genetically engineering food and crops to yield more nutrition, more offspring survival, and better survival in general will definintely help food wise
-You can genetically manipulate traits so certain people will not be immune to certain genetic disorders
-People, animals, plants etc... can be genetically altered so that disease will not have such a bad effect, hence a super genetic immuno-boost
-Genetic engineering could also take two parents or DNA of two parents and make a the child they want, physically at least
-Selective breeding

Disadvantages:
-Genetic engineering in plants and food can also cause contamination
-When you perform a gene transfer you may bring about new pathogens for immune systems to fight
-Genetic engineering can also disrupt the diversity of human beings, if everyone wants to be black, then there is no diversity
-Manupulating nature isn't always a good thing either
-There is the ethically issue, and you know what I am talking about

Empired
18-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Against:

People think today's clothes designing is crazy, but if people are given the power to design their own babies, things could get a lot worse. Leading on from this, certain races could be lost forever if some skin colours become " in fashion" and we can never get them back.
If wildlife or animals are being genetically modified to (example) glow in the dark, it takes just one sample of DNA to get out of the laboratory and spread across the whole continent/world.
The human race is so special because everybody is different. Genetically modifying babies not only gives you the power to change their appearance, but give them chosen traits as well. In short, it would make us like robots.
Children may not feel like they "belong" to their parents if they are nothing like them.
Lastly, what if people decide that every baby should have blonde hair and blue eyes? Haven't we heard somebody talking like that before? And it started a war which killed millions of people.

All my "for" points have been pointed out above.

Halas
21-06-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm against because people can control you, your personality and your thoughts without your permission

iBlueBox
21-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Hiya all,

Finished the presentation on the subject, used a few of your points, and gave rep to all :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!