PDA

View Full Version : Will.I.Am donates ALL earnings from The Voice to charity

efq
22-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Black Eyed Peas star Will.i.am has donated £500,000 to disadvantaged young people in London through The Prince's Trust.

The musician (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Will.I.Am) said he doesn't need the money the BBC paid him to be a judge on The Voice.
"I don't need any more luxury items," he said at a news conference.
"And equipping our young people with education and inspiration is real homeland security."

The 37-year-old philanthropic pop star was raised by a single mother in one of the toughest areas of Los Angeles and started his own foundation, i.am.angel, in 2009 to provide educational support for young people.

"I grew up seeing kids selling drugs at 11 and getting pistols and things they shouldn't be doing. My life could have turned out very differently.
"But I was encouraged to dance, sing by my mum and teachers… that changed my life," he said.

However, he told Sky News he is not interested in finding new pop stars, he wants to find the next Bill Gates (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Bill%20Gates) or Mark Zuckerberg (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Mark%20Zuckerberg).
"It takes one person from Brixton to turn into Mark Zuckerberg and it changes a neighbourhood forever. Technology and science is our future," Will added.

"Look at Instagram, that's the way to make billions. We don't have to have ghettos, we just need to give those people the skills."
The seven-times Grammy winner performed in the Queen's Jubilee Concert (http://news.sky.com/home/showbiz-news/article/16241347) and is a favourite of the Princes William and Harry.
He said he is impressed with the work of The Prince’s Trust which has a 36-year history of assisting deprived youth.
-------------

£500k - That is a real gentleman.

Samantha
22-06-2012, 01:44 PM
That's an amazing amount and it's humble and noble for him to do so. I believe Mark Zukerberg is like him and they're both inspiring people, I got told Mark Zuckerberg's salary is about 1p per year due to him being able to provide for his children, his childrens children etc.

It shows that you can have too much money, I feel that's a very loving thing to do and I believe him doing that will make a difference!

FlyingJesus
22-06-2012, 01:49 PM
The guy is mental (not for this, for other reasons :P) but you can't help but like him when he makes gestures like this, and the Prince's Trust is actually pretty amazing with what they do so money well spent. Definitely makes up for The Voice being so crap haha

Shar
22-06-2012, 01:52 PM
that's a nice gesture

:odey:
22-06-2012, 02:01 PM
It is a nice gesture, definitely,
But when you think about how much he's actually worth...

IceNineKills
22-06-2012, 02:38 PM
actually have some respect for him now.

dirrty
22-06-2012, 02:49 PM
still doesn't make me like him, but nevertheless good for the charity.

Chris
22-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Not a fan of him but such a good thing to do, respect to him! :P

SackRace
22-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Lovely gesture!

Judas
22-06-2012, 03:04 PM
It is a nice gesture, definitely,
But when you think about how much he's actually worth...

oh, please.

dbgtz
22-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Pretty much this. That and £500k?! ******* hell BBC.

geo
22-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Wow, this was a lovely thing for him to do. I'm not his biggest fan but I respect him quite a bit more now. :)

The Don
22-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Pretty much this. That and £500k?! ******* hell BBC.

Why do you both dislike him? did he do something specific or just not a fan? :P

It's good that he gave such a large amount to charity, seems to do quite a lot for it too.

Richie
22-06-2012, 05:29 PM
what a gent.

Fifty-Six
22-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Good on you Will.

lawrawrrr
22-06-2012, 05:47 PM
good for will, he is good for donating... still don't like him.

I do admire hi charity work though, rly nice thing to do considering his upbringing.

The Don
22-06-2012, 06:00 PM
omg why do so many people dislike him

Suspective
22-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Good on him. Why does everyone dislike him so much?

dirrty
22-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Why do you both dislike him? did he do something specific or just not a fan? :P

It's good that he gave such a large amount to charity, seems to do quite a lot for it too.
i just find him really pretentious and at times arrogant in terms of his career. he is mediocre at best, but believes that he delivers sellar/high-quality music. he's basically kanye west without the critical acclaim to back up his opinions. plus, he has a punchable face and i hate that terrible hairstyle; and just seems like he triesfar too hard (especially with his style).

plus, i don't even think him giving away £££ to the charity is a personal thing (may say it, but his team would obviously want him to say that), but rather his PR team attempting to improve his image for the purpose of increasing his popularity in the UK for the sake of helping his career here. but hey, you can tell that it's working by just reading the majority of posts in this thread ;) then again i rarely take things (celebrities motives behind their actions) at face value because a bulk of them generally wouldn't give a **** about a lot of things if they didn't have to.

Lamz
22-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Nice thing to do, I'm sure the teens will be grateful as a lot of teens nowadays from "run down" area's in London think music is an easy way to fame (it really isn't). But yeah, good on him & good luck to people who took part in the project.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!