PDA

View Full Version : Eating Dogs.

iBlueBox
25-06-2012, 05:50 PM
In some parts of China, it's pretty much a tradition to eat dog meat.

What's your opinion on this?

Kieran
25-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Meats, meat at the end of the day as long as its not your neighbours dog.

lawrawrrr
25-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm interested to know what it tastes like (as with a lot of meats), but I'm not sure I could ever do it really... but it's a completely different culture over there, so I don't think they're WRONG in doing it.

Empired
25-06-2012, 05:55 PM
I am a vegetarian, but if I wasn't...
I own a dog so I may feel guilty, but I think she'd only be upset with me for not sharing the meat with her.

Meats, meat at the end of the day as long as its not your neighbours dog.

I basically agree with this. Lambs are cute yet people eat them. Horses are kind of "pets" but some people still eat them. In my opinion if people can eat bugs, frogs and snails, they can cope with a bit of dog too.

iBlueBox
25-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I know, it's a different culture, but I think the reason I can't understand is it is because people across the world generally have a closer relation to a dog? because there house hold pets.

Munex
25-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I imagine dog meat to be tough and sweaty...

The whole concept makes me sad, but I'm not going to start a protest over it. Dogs are "man's best friend" and have evolved alongside us, and they are intelligent and loving animals. I've seen documentaries of Chinese men skinning live dogs - it was brutal and I don't agree with that. As long as they kill the dogs humanely, and they aren't locked in tiny cages, I wouldn't complain ... but of course, I'm still slightly disturbed that they are eating dogs...

Red
25-06-2012, 06:00 PM
It's a different culture as other people have said and I think most people find it disgusting because dogs are a common pet. Personally I could never eat a dog though. I wouldn't even eat lamb or duck. In a chinese here, someone found a dog chip in their food. They had eaten someones pet dog. urgh

Kasabian
25-06-2012, 06:00 PM
All different countries have different 'signature' dishes. I have no problem with it.

lawrawrrr
25-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I know, it's a different culture, but I think the reason I can't understand is it is because people across the world generally have a closer relation to a dog? because there house hold pets.

The dogs they eat aren't household pets though. It's much more rare to have a pet dog there, which is why eating them seems less wrong. We eat beef, for example, whereas in India, they're worshipped and revered. They probably think we're horrid for eating them.

dbgtz
Live and let live.

sex
No i couldn't do it, the main reason most people are against it is because they are domesticated pets who are thought to be quite smart!

Munex
25-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd also like to add that I think it's wrong to say "if people can eat bugs, frogs and snails, they can cope with a bit of dog too". Killing a bug is totally different to killing a human and other mammals such as dogs. I know people might say "all life is equal", but it's not ... insects don't have the emotions and understanding that we have, and dogs have to an extent.

geo
25-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Hmm, I couldn't ever do it, but cultures are different so yeah, not a problem with it reallyyyy.

Chris
25-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Well I suppose they grow up eating it so they wouldn't know any different, and tbh it wouldn't bother me that much either!

buttons
25-06-2012, 07:10 PM
It's a different culture as other people have said and I think most people find it disgusting because dogs are a common pet. Personally I could never eat a dog though. I wouldn't even eat lamb or duck. In a chinese here, someone found a dog chip in their food. They had eaten someones pet dog. urgh
how did they know it was a 'dog chip' though? lol

im kinda surprised by people's answers but i'm glad.. generally people i know are "oh it's disgusting those people are horrible". yeah i think it's horrible the way they treat the animals like someone mentioned about skinning them alive, completely unnecessary. jewish people probably think we're disgusting for eating pork but how often do you see them complain about us doing it and cows are sacred in india, if you even knock one down you'll probably be punished lol.

yeah im all for culture that's what makes us different, the other problem i have is that there are certain health risks with eating it but it's eaten because it supposedly has health benefits and for that reason i probably wouldn't eat it, not because they're "pets" to us. eating dog hasn't only ever happened in china or asian countries, it's not even illegal in some countries like canada & it has been eaten in europe in times of food crisis even as early as 20th century iirc but china is still highly publicized for it.

IM GLAD YOU ALL KEEP AN OPEN MIND. LOVING U ALL.

Chippiewill
25-06-2012, 07:29 PM
In my experience all non-common meats taste of chicken - I'd have no problems eating an untamed dog certainly. But if it were a pet? No, but I wouldn't eat a pig if it were a pet either.

Seikou
25-06-2012, 07:43 PM
i suppose it's normal for some but i wouldn't dream of doing it, it seems vile to me and i just love dogs.

Rottentroll
25-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Love it when it just falls off the bone.

Richie
26-06-2012, 07:46 AM
I wouldn't try it myself but it's just like any other animal so I don't see why not.

GirlNextDoor15
26-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Basically, eating dogs is just one of the many foods that you think are vile, horrible etc. etc.
In Malaysia, indigenous people eat turtles for their nutrients and similarly, they eat dogs in China for that reason too. It has been a culture and bear in mind that population in China has been increasing for centuries. You'd be glad that they don't turn into cannibals and the concept is simple. It's either you die or I die. It's reality. We sacrifice other living organisms for our survival no matter we need them in terms of food or protection from extreme weather. Yes, culture has been evolving and so is their civilisation. More and more people begin to realise that it's wrong to eat domestic pets(modern culture) and that is where education takes place. Learning is the essence of education, anyway and as long as China is not really a 'developed' country, you shouldn't expect every Chinese to be like you.

I'd also like to add that I think it's wrong to say "if people can eat bugs, frogs and snails, they can cope with a bit of dog too". Killing a bug is totally different to killing a human and other mammals such as dogs. I know people might say "all life is equal", but it's not ... insects don't have the emotions and understanding that we have, and dogs have to an extent.

Killing is killing, something which we humans who CAN THINK PROPERLY shouldn't do unless it's that desperate.

Paige.
26-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Live and let live.

this <3

Killing is killing, something which we humans who CAN THINK PROPERLY shouldn't do unless it's that desperate.

exactly.

personally, i don't agree with the killing of any living thing for our benefit so i certainly wouldn't agree with the killing of dogs just so someone can eat them. that's my opinion and i'm very aware that millions of people have completely the opposite opinion but each to their own.

Eric
26-06-2012, 02:14 PM
chinese eat dogs, americans eat turkey, japanese eat dolphins. this is culture difference.

i dont think eating dogs is weird, meat is meat, it's just like eating cows and lambs except dogs are close to humans and fluffy and cute and etc.

Succubus
26-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Personally I would try it, after all meat is meat. Besides it's their culture! Just like any other place would have a different type of "dish" I wouldn't in one bit think it's wrong at all.

Munex
26-06-2012, 02:51 PM

I disagree. Killing an ant is obviously less bad than killing a dog, or a human being for that matter. People can try to claim that all living creatures, great and small, are equal ... but let's face it - that's simply not the case.

But as I said earlier, I don't have a problem with the Chinese eating dogs. I was just going on a separate tangent about the morality of killing different forms of life. Obviously, I'm not saying it's right to torture insects in your garden with a magnifying glass, but I refuse to believe that a man should face life-imprisonment for doing so.

Lee
26-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I would probably never bring myself to be able to eat a dog, but when you raised in that culture it would be rude not too :P

Hollie
26-06-2012, 10:14 PM
i'd never do it myself but it's their culture so i don't have a problem with it. it's pretty much the same as any other meat i guess

Rozi
26-06-2012, 10:27 PM
this is a very limited discussion ha

meat is meat
different culture
it's ok

-:Undertaker:-
26-06-2012, 10:44 PM
I would try it yes.

We ought to be able to eat whatever meat we wish, if you don't like it then don't eat it.

Phil
27-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Different views and different opinions across the world! Like in some countries, cows are sacred and lets be honest, steak is bloody lush!

Fifty-Six
27-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Not sure, probably could. Meat is meat. Maybe if you saw the animal before it was killed and put on your plate it might be harder.. but at the end of the day it's just food.

Criticize
28-06-2012, 12:21 AM
yolo

ickles
28-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Yuck... the thought of it is disgusting, I would never try it +o(

Glen Coco
28-06-2012, 06:35 PM
people from this country that go and eat a dog are sick in the head.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!