PDA

View Full Version : getting a job with un natural hair colour?

Jssy
27-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Has anyone ever got a part time/temp/summer job with unnatural hair colour? Right now my hair is dyed lilac and it's not really bright. It's a pastel lilac and I have my lip pierced and nose pierced. I need a job so bad so I'll put retainers in my piercings when they're healed. But yeah has anyone got a job with an unnatural hair colour?

David
27-06-2012, 05:08 PM
not sure if serious

Edited by Jordan (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly

Jssy
27-06-2012, 05:16 PM
lol I actually am. My college don't care about hair colour or w.e because I'm doing hairdressing anyway, but I'm just wondering about a summer job. Tesco and iceland where I live employ people with stretched ears, coloured mohikans etc but I've already applied to tesco

luce
27-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I don't think it should make a difference for jobs in retail because when I went shopping in London this week everyone was so quirky in the bars and shops (except posh shops lul). Just think how many people have unnatural hair colours and piercing - they can't all be unemployed???

wixard
27-06-2012, 06:00 PM
well im ginger n got hired so any things possible

dbgtz
27-06-2012, 06:07 PM
well im ginger n got hired so any things possible

Are you saying gingers are unnatural?

Also I imagine it only affects higher end jobs.

lawrawrrr
27-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Some places will take one look at people with dyed hair/piercings and make rash unfair judgments. Isn't your hair just dipdyed though? It really depends what other people have, if someone's got full body tattoos and stretchers you'd be more likely to get it!

Sucks how people will judge on looks, but I guess that's life isn't it... D:

Criticize
27-06-2012, 06:22 PM
like dbgtz said, it should only affect higher end jobs. to be honest i went to see a vet and she had bright blue hair and i was almost baffled that she worked there, it just seems weird in some people's heads idk.

sex
27-06-2012, 07:08 PM
depends on the job really, most likely in a shop they will hire you

my dogs vet is a part time body builder and she has tattoos of all her pitbulls on her arms lolllllll she also has part of her head shaved

Jssy
28-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Some places will take one look at people with dyed hair/piercings and make rash unfair judgments. Isn't your hair just dipdyed though? It really depends what other people have, if someone's got full body tattoos and stretchers you'd be more likely to get it!

Sucks how people will judge on looks, but I guess that's life isn't it... D:

Nope I dyed all of it lilac lol :D I applied for a newsagent job as well but had no replies for anything yet :(

Recursion
28-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Hair shouldn't be a problem, any piercings not on your ears might be worthwhile removing for interviews or whatever.

Jssy
28-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah my hair isn't even that shocking or bright but my piercings arent old enough to be completely taken out but I'd be able to put retainers in. This my hair:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/179594_323810357708037_1356457389_n.jpg

Paige.
28-06-2012, 04:24 PM
when i had purple hair i didn't have a problem with getting my job and my ears have a lot of piercings in and they didn't say anything but i suppose if they're on your face they may be a problem but i personally don't think it'll matter if it's like retail or something

ickles
28-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Retainers should do fine, I have lip piercings and no one's said anything about them, your hair shouldn't be much of a problem either, i've saw a lot of people with bright hair working in Tesco ;3 anyhow, goodluck!

PiippBB
28-06-2012, 10:12 PM
There's a fairly strict dress code when it comes to this sort of thing where I work but I think most other retail environments are a lot more easy going and don't really mind. Just pass your CVs around; it's all you can do.

Stephen!
28-06-2012, 10:51 PM
I think it shows that you have character and are not boring, which would be good if you are dealing with customers.

Catchy
29-06-2012, 10:48 AM
It shouldn't be a problem but I guess it depends where you want to work really. When I worked at Next there were a few girls with hair colour like yours so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem within retail as long as you're well presented. May have to take the piercings out, where I work you aren't allowed piercings.

Remus
05-07-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm not honestly sure however I think a lot of places are becoming a lot more lenient towards things like hair colour and piercings since they are becoming more and more common as the teens of today are growing up. I wouldn't know for sure since I don't dye my hair but my tongue piercing has never affected my ability to get any sort of jobs so far but i suppose it also depends on what type of employment you are going into.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!