PDA

View Full Version : custom computer help

Catchy
09-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Okay my laptop is on the blink of no return. Literally just starts up when it wants to, I've had it probably a good 5 years and it is an utter crap one so yeah. I'm going to need a new computer for College and Uni next year. I've been looking into just buying the parts and assembling it all myself (when I say myself I probably mean my dad lol)

Are these specs any good? (Btw these all total to £236) anything I've missed out is because I already have them and wont need to buy them.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 (Skt AM3) Retail Kit (Including heat sink+fan)
8GB DDR3 Ram
Biostar N6853+
500GB SATA III 7200 16mb Cache
VTX3D ATI Radeon HD 6450 2GB PCi-Ex

Any advice would be good. Thanks

Samantha
09-07-2012, 06:03 PM
What are you using it for, just college and uni work or gaming and such too?

Catchy
09-07-2012, 06:13 PM
What are you using it for, just college and uni work or gaming and such too?

At the moment all I need is uni and college but I know I'll be using it for gaming too which is why I've selected the 2GB hd video card, the only reason I don't game now is I can't run ANY games on my laptop lmao.

Recursion
09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Graphics card and motherboard are crummy. The CPU should be upgraded to an Intel Core i5 (and motherboard changed appropriately)

Catchy
09-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Graphics card and motherboard are crummy. The CPU should be upgraded to an Intel Core i5 (and motherboard changed appropriately)

I thought a 2GB graphics card would be considered good? Afraid intel i5 is probably way beyond my budget atm. Could maybe stretch the an i3 but then would have to sacrifice some other things.

Recursion
09-07-2012, 06:30 PM
It's not about video memory, it's about the speed of the card when it comes to gaming.

scottish
09-07-2012, 11:52 PM
As above really

Graphics card sucks, go for Gigabyte or asus or something for mobo.

Also remember you'll need a case, power supply, and optical drive (most likely if you're installing windows etc by disc rather than USB)

Probably better putting up your budget and seeing from there.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!