PDA

View Full Version : So who thinks Apple is done?

HotelUser
13-07-2012, 07:44 PM
By done I just mean reduced down by a lot.

I think Google is going to do a lot to win market share (as we've already seen (http://news.yahoo.com/google-likely-lose-money-every-8gb-nexus-7-203001892.html)) and Microsoft has a huge amount of money they can use to dump into the tablet industry in order to win market share (even at a loss in profits) as well.

I think Apple's done a lot for the industry and if you know me then you that I like Apple more then Microsoft (Hi Tom, hi Matt) although despite me thinking so highly of Apple I honestly don't see them changing their business model any time soon to compete with Microsoft or Android on a greater scale.

God knows why Microsoft's not decided it wanted to make more money or market share in the tablet industry before but now that they've decided they like surviving I think Windows 8 will be a bigger blow to Apple then a lot of people recognize. If Windows 8 is to be successful (and it will be Microsoft's made sure of that) then I think the full desktop environment of Windows 8 is going to completely shatter iOS in it's entirety (minus wherever Internet Explorer comes up, the msie rendering engine will always be garbage and v8 will always dominate whatever Microsoft dishes out). I think iOS will be around for awhile longer, but I don't see Apple doing anything like running OS X on future revisions of the iPad anytime soon.

So I think either Microsoft can be stupid here and not pull through software and marketing wise with Windows 8 tablets, or I think Apple can be stupid and stubbornly stick to their current business model.

xxMATTGxx
13-07-2012, 07:48 PM
You really think Apple is done for? Interesting. I don't think they are done for most likely. In terms of Microsoft and Windows 8 - I am not sure how well it will actually do you know. I think a benefit of Windows 8 is the cheap price tag it will half for a good X amount of months when it launches which is a bonus to anyone wanting to upgrade their operating system.

Google will sure gain more market with Android and the Nexus 7 looks like a sweet device. But is it going to kill the iPad? Not really it's more aimed at killing the Amazon Kindle range they have on offer. But that cheap price tag is going to be a hit for sure.

In terms of Apple adapting, what would you like to see from them? Having more than one version of the iPad in another screen size format but at a lower cost or what?

HotelUser
13-07-2012, 08:00 PM
You really think Apple is done for? Interesting. I don't think they are done for most likely. In terms of Microsoft and Windows 8 - I am not sure how well it will actually do you know. I think a benefit of Windows 8 is the cheap price tag it will half for a good X amount of months when it launches which is a bonus to anyone wanting to upgrade their operating system.

Google will sure gain more market with Android and the Nexus 7 looks like a sweet device. But is it going to kill the iPad? Not really it's more aimed at killing the Amazon Kindle range they have on offer. But that cheap price tag is going to be a hit for sure.

In terms of Apple adapting, what would you like to see from them? Having more than one version of the iPad in another screen size format but at a lower cost or what?

I'd like to see some varient of OS X running on an Apple tablet and I would like to see Apple embrace HTML5 development and remove a lot of the current restrictions they're put in place when it comes to developing on iOS (even though I thoroughly believe Microsoft wont develop IE to be competitive with whatever Google's doing, Microsoft is still marketing HTML5 development fantastically). Developers for iOS aren't even allowed to use Apple's own Nitro compiler for javascript. Despite the problems HTML5 apps have in comparison to apps written in native code for the platform, a lot of devs are pushing out HTML5 apps because a little kid could do it. I think Microsoft's going to market Windows 8 tablets better because of partnerships Microsoft has with OEMS (even though they're competing with their OEMS -- haha!), I think Windows 8 tablets will within several years be cheaper to grab than an iPad of equivalent hardware specifications and I think iOS is going to be seen as a catastrophically limited platform (and to tell you the truth unless you jailbreak an iOS device as it stands, it would be pretty useless to me).

As popular as iOS is right now, I just don't see it sticking around in the longrun unless they make it overall more open, and unless we don't see Apple selling their devices at lesser costs.

xxMATTGxx
13-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see some varient of OS X running on an Apple tablet and I would like to see Apple embrace HTML5 development and remove a lot of the current restrictions they're put in place when it comes to developing on iOS (even though I thoroughly believe Microsoft wont develop IE to be competitive with whatever Google's doing, Microsoft is still marketing HTML5 development fantastically). Developers for iOS aren't even allowed to use Apple's own Nitro compiler for javascript. Despite the problems HTML5 apps have in comparison to apps written in native code for the platform, a lot of devs are pushing out HTML5 apps because a little kid could do it. I think Microsoft's going to market Windows 8 tablets better because of partnerships Microsoft has with OEMS (even though they're competing with their OEMS -- haha!), I think Windows 8 tablets will within several years be cheaper to grab than an iPad of equivalent hardware specifications and I think iOS is going to be seen as a catastrophically limited platform (and to tell you the truth unless you jailbreak an iOS device as it stands, it would be pretty useless to me).

As popular as iOS is right now, I just don't see it sticking around in the longrun unless they make it overall more open, and unless we don't see Apple selling their devices at lesser costs.

Yeah I don't think you will get what you want in terms of an OS X version running on a tablet made by Apple. It will be interesting to see how Windows 8 will do over the years to come and what happens to the operating system after Windows 8 and what sort of approach Microsoft will take then. In terms of them competing with their OEMs - That is true in a way but you could also say it's making the standard for OEMs to follow and copy/do better. Bit like Google with the Nexus range? Although they do team up with Asus or Samsung etc. Although, I wouldn't mind more Microsoft branded hardware :P

mrwoooooooo
13-07-2012, 08:08 PM
i hope so, because iphones are so overrated

Recursion
13-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I cba to read all those posts or type a lot, as I'm going out but...

Honestly, I hate Windows 8 and only see it working on tablets. I think this'll bring about a shift in market share in Apple's favor pretty sharply (not that they'll overtake MS, but it might shift a lot) in the PC market because of how much of a mess Windows 8 is on a laptop or desktop. In terms of iOS... I don't see it dying anytime soon. It's a massive ecosystem that produces consistent results and brings about high quality hardware with high quality software, which people are obviously paying a premium for and managing fine. If Apple were having issues, I think we'd start to see their prices decrease, which I can't see happening.

I'm slowly migrating our work client machines to Macs, we're a very high tech and up to date school and I'm trying to get the latest and greatest software out there so the children can experience it, Windows 8 just isn't going to provide a friendly experience for our staff or the children.

HotelUser
13-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah I don't think you will get what you want in terms of an OS X version running on a tablet made by Apple. It will be interesting to see how Windows 8 will do over the years to come and what happens to the operating system after Windows 8 and what sort of approach Microsoft will take then. In terms of them competing with their OEMs - That is true in a way but you could also say it's making the standard for OEMs to follow and copy/do better. Bit like Google with the Nexus range? Although they do team up with Asus or Samsung etc. Although, I wouldn't mind more Microsoft branded hardware :P

I think Google with the Nexus was just to soften the blow for the marketshare loss of iOS 6 and later Windows 8, and to help crush the Kindle and the Nook. I think of Google as someone who's just along for the ride with Samsung, because as long as the tablet industry is being Samsunged we're going to see Android on phones, tablets, TVs for years to come.

i hope so, because iphones are so overrated

Maybe now more then they used to be, but back when they gave me an actual multitouch web browser with a pretty interface I thought nothing else could beat them. Just don't tell me you use BlackBerry's because then you've lost all your credibility ;)

mrwoooooooo
13-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Maybe now more then they used to be, but back when they gave me an actual multitouch web browser with a pretty interface I thought nothing else could beat them. Just don't tell me you use BlackBerry's because then you've lost all your credibility ;)
Galaxy S2 with cyanogenmod

HotelUser
13-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Galaxy S2 with cyanogenmod

You da' man.

Honestly, I hate Windows 8 and only see it working on tablets. I think this'll bring about a shift in market share in Apple's favor pretty sharply (not that they'll overtake MS, but it might shift a lot) in the PC market because of how much of a mess Windows 8 is on a laptop or desktop. In terms of iOS... I don't see it dying anytime soon. It's a massive ecosystem that produces consistent results and brings about high quality hardware with high quality software, which people are obviously paying a premium for and managing fine. If Apple were having issues, I think we'd start to see their prices decrease, which I can't see happening.

I'm slowly migrating our work client machines to Macs, we're a very high tech and up to date school and I'm trying to get the latest and greatest software out there so the children can experience it, Windows 8 just isn't going to provide a friendly experience for our staff or the children.

Interesting, personally I don't think we as consumers will be entitled to our opinions because Microsoft's partners clearly dominate the PC industry so lots of folks will be forced into Windows 8, just like with Windows the V word. Because of this marketing concept people will buy Windows tablets simply because they're used to the Windows experience, which to a lot of people is of genuine importance.

mrwoooooooo
13-07-2012, 08:15 PM

I'm hoping they have a U-turn on forcing desktop users to use metro, stranger things have happened xD

Qzaki
13-07-2012, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't change apple for the world there isn't many things I dislike about their products (I have virtually all of them) and I know I'm not the only one who thinks of Apple in this way. Windows 8 looks horrible I can't see it being very popular people dont like change as big as that.

The iPad will always be the number 1 tablet and for what it does iOS is all it needs.

GommeInc
13-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Apple begins trends, other companies make them better. As far as I can tell, these days Apple is more interested in protectionism than actually further advancing into new technologies while Google and Microsoft are both constantly researching into new tech e.g. Google has Google Glass going at the moment and Microsoft always has some projects on the go.

Apple has always been a good marketer, but they never properly reveal the goods like Google and Microsoft, who let other companies share their innovations - afterall, many companies naturally mean more ideas than one. Working as just one unit means you're going to be left behind, your resources are strictly limited as it's you against many others who have different strengths. Samsung offer affordable, good quality phone units, Sony has brought its camera innovations to the Mobile market, HTC has brought its User Interface technoligies to their phones etc etc. all built on Android, allowing for a strong final product.

As for Windows 8 and OS X, more people seem to be looking towards tablets these days and I think Android, iOS and Windows 8 will slowly take over but that's assuming Windows 8 tablets work (Surface is impressive, but only time will tell if it works in its environment). Macs and PCs seem to be dull and uninteresting compared to tablet PCs, there is very little else to do with desktop operating systems. Lion doesn't really do anything awe inspiring and Windows 8 is an attempt to bridge the gap between tablet and PC, but as Recursion and a few others over the past few months have stated - it really doesn't seem like a good OS for a desktop/laptop PC.

samsaBEAR
13-07-2012, 11:52 PM
From a phone point of view, I think between Android and WP8, iOS is really starting to look weak. If Android could just solve their defragmentation 'problem', I think Jelly Bean could be an iOS killer inside a year. I can't say much for other products, but I can't see Apple ever doing badly in the computer/laptop range, those hipsters are always going to want the latest Macbook.

GommeInc
14-07-2012, 09:23 AM
From a phone point of view, I think between Android and WP8, iOS is really starting to look weak. If Android could just solve their defragmentation 'problem', I think Jelly Bean could be an iOS killer inside a year. I can't say much for other products, but I can't see Apple ever doing badly in the computer/laptop range, those hipsters are always going to want the latest Macbook.
I always find the iOS killer goal a strange one. What does it actually entail? Because there is no way iOS will ever be killed off in the same way Android and WP8 will never be killed off as they are proving popular. Android is apparently used by 51% of users in America, so it obviously has a lead over iOS and Windows Phone. It seems like a marketing and product strategy that doesn't really make any sense these days.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!