PDA

View Full Version : Exploit in minecraft login server

Stephen!
15-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi all. Over the past few days, numerous people have reported notch logging in to their servers. From the dialogue and IP, it was pretty obvious it wasn't really notch.

Then today on the reddit servers, we had someone log in on the account of one of our head admins. The resulting griefing was quickly caught, the account password changed, and we waited to see if further attacks would follow. After a short period, the same account was used again. The admin, forty_two, confirmed that he hasn't logged into any unknown servers lately, ruling out a MITM attack. The short time between changing the password and logging in ruled out a brute force attack on the account.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/wl0zy/psa_exploit_in_minecraft_login_server_hackers_can/

CrazyLemurs
15-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I was wondering what had been happening, I saw the fake Notch a couple times xD
That's very bad that someone is able to do that to even Notch.

xxMATTGxx
15-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I was wondering what had been happening, I saw the fake Notch a couple times xD
That's very bad that someone is able to do that to even Notch.

It can happen to most people, not just Notch. Looks like it's now fixed anyway:

Hi Guys,

We are aware of the security issues (people using others’ usernames NOT any leak of passwords or personal information) involved with the Minecraft authorization servers and are currently working to fix it.

Right now the authorization servers have been taken offline and will be down until further notice. The Mojangstas are working hard to make sure we get everything back to perfect working order.

We’ll keep you updated as we have a more clear timeline. We really are sorry about this and are working as fast as we can!

Happy Sunday :)

UPDATE: Woohoo! Things are back up and running perfectly! Thank you all for being patient while things were fixed. Also major props to Grum, Dinnerbone, and Leo who were out of bed and in to action in the blink of an eye!

http://www.mojang.com/2012/07/houston-we-have-a-problem/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!