PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Prison Nursery Should Be Banned..?

.Joshua.
15-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Do you think Prison Nursery should be banned?

10 Prisons in the USA have in Prisons Nursery's where Prisoners can raise their newborn babies until the end of their sentence. What do you think of them?

On One Hand

The baby behind bars when they haven't even been given the chance to do anything wrong
They are surrounded by people who broke the law
The mother can't take the child out for new things as she pleases, all things are second hand

On The Other Hand

It is good for a baby to be brought up by their birth mother
The nursery is actually better than the prison itself
They have halloween and christmas
The parents are only allowed in if they didn't commit a violent crime

What do you think?

Thread Moved by Lee (Forum Moderator): From 'Discuss Anything'.

Empired
15-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Why should a mother be given another chance? I find it totally selfish to know the consequences of getting caught but commit the crime anyway when you have a child. And anyway, if she's as messed up as to get herself thrown in prison, what would she teach the baby? How to pick locks? How to smuggle drugs? To commit fraud the easy way? If she is weak enough to commit a crime large enough to be put in jail, she doesn't deserve to have something as precious as her child in her life.

Becca
15-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Why should a mother be given another chance? I find it totally selfish to know the consequences of getting caught but commit the crime anyway when you have a child. And anyway, if she's as messed up as to get herself thrown in prison, what would she teach the baby? How to pick locks? How to smuggle drugs? To commit fraud the easy way? If she is weak enough to commit a crime large enough to be put in jail, she doesn't deserve to have something as precious as her child in her life.

Are you being serious? Maybe that person was pregnant before she even committed a crime? Maybe this woman was committed and ready to have a child then something happened? It's selfish for you to say that nevermind calling them selfish for bringing a baby into the world. So what if it's being brought up in a Prison Nursery, least it's still being looked after and fed unlike some babies that aren't even in jail so yeah, shut up xox

.Joshua.
15-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't think they should be banned, they deserve to grow up, knowing they had a mother which cared and loved them. Children who go to orphanages often feel that they have been abandoned by the parents and that they aren't loved - which is a lie, they are loved.

It is unfair that they are locked, in certain ways its like an orphanage, but their with their parents and that's the main thing.

Empired
15-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Are you being serious? Maybe that person was pregnant before she even committed a crime? Maybe this woman was committed and ready to have a child then something happened? It's selfish for you to say that nevermind calling them selfish for bringing a baby into the world. So what if it's being brought up in a Prison Nursery, least it's still being looked after and fed unlike some babies that aren't even in jail so yeah, shut up xox
I'm saying she's selfish for choosing to commit a crime when she knows she's got a baby who is relying on her 24/7. And children get put up for adoption and have a much better life sometimes. It happens.

.Joshua.
15-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm saying she's selfish for choosing to commit a crime when she knows she's got a baby who is relying on her 24/7. And children get put up for adoption and have a much better life sometimes. It happens.

Exactly, but it's okay for them to raise them in jail because they need to bond with the baby for it to develop properly. It can't grow up not knowing who the mother is, that's wrong.
Prison Nurseries should be encouraged more.. Not for life sentences though.

Becca
15-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Yeah but there's still children out there who are being abused and not fed etc what people don't know about, yet you're saying it's bad to have a Prison Nursery when they're still being looked after? Makes sense..

.Joshua.
15-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah but there's still children out there who are being abused and not fed etc what people don't know about, yet you're saying it's bad to have a Prison Nursery when they're still being looked after? Makes sense..

Not really..

Becca
15-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Not really..

Yes.. really. Social Services and the police can't reach everyone in the world who are abusing their children can they?

Empired
15-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Exactly, but it's okay for them to raise them in jail because they need to bond with the baby for it to develop properly. It can't grow up not knowing who the mother is, that's wrong.
Prison Nurseries should be encouraged more.. Not for life sentences though.
I grew up without knowing my mother and I turned out just fine. It doesn't matter who brings you up, it's how they bring you up. Most women can give birth, but it takes something much more to actually become a mother. To me, a mother is the woman who looks after a child and puts a plaster on its knee when they get a cut, or sings them back to sleep after a nightmare. A mother is someone who cares, yes?

.Joshua.
15-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes.. really. Social Services and the police can't reach everyone in the world who are abusing their children can they?

I'm not saying they can.. Becca, i'm not even going to start an argument with you.

IceNineKills
15-07-2012, 11:35 AM

If you could teach a baby to pick locks, smuggle drugs and commit fraud then well done. I can't even get babies to talk.

Becca
15-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I grew up without knowing my mother and I turned out just fine. It doesn't matter who brings you up, it's how they bring you up. Most women can give birth, but it takes something much more to actually become a mother. To me, a mother is the woman who looks after a child and puts a plaster on its knee when they get a cut, or sings them back to sleep after a nightmare. A mother is someone who cares, yes?

The fact that the mother in jail is choosing to keep the child and have it put into a Prison Nursery instead of an orphanage shows that they care doesn't it? At least they're making an effort.

Empired
15-07-2012, 11:36 AM
If Prison Nurseries didn't exist, the child would go to another member of the family/family friend/adoption. Not be left on the street.

Becca
15-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm not saying they can.. Becca, i'm not even going to start an argument with you.

It's not an argument, it's a debate.

If you could teach a baby to pick locks, smuggle drugs and commit fraud then well done. I can't even get babies to talk.

Hahaha you're great

.Joshua.
15-07-2012, 11:45 AM
It's not an argument, it's a debate.

Hahaha you're great

Well no you dont say.. if it wasnt a debate why would i post it here..

Stephen
15-07-2012, 11:45 AM

You talk as if you were brought up in a prison nursery l o l

Becca
15-07-2012, 11:48 AM
You talk as if you were brought up in a prison nursery l o l

Damn you noticed

Well no you dont say.. if it wasnt a debate why would i post it here..

Why you saying it's an argument then *Removed*

Edited by Jordan (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude to other forum members

Samantha
15-07-2012, 12:05 PM

what's saying your mother bringing you up in there doesn't care, she can sing to you and care for you regardless of where you are. a mother is also someone who stocks by you through thick or thin, with prison nurseries the mum has to consider if it would harm their child and whether it's the best option if they feel it right then it shows the mother didn't abandon them if not (depending the length of the sentence) the child could grow up not knowing their mother but may also feel that abandonment.

I don't think they should be banned, it would be torture itself if a mother couldn't see her child, you never know she could be wrongly convicted too so it wouldn't be fair to deny access to her child or children, like others have said something could have happened since she got pregnant which drove her too it - now im not saying that issues a crime at all but I believe a child does need that mother figure and.I'd prefer the real one.

Empired
15-07-2012, 12:45 PM
what's saying your mother bringing you up in there doesn't care, she can sing to you and care for you regardless of where you are. a mother is also someone who stocks by you through thick or thin, with prison nurseries the mum has to consider if it would harm their child and whether it's the best option if they feel it right then it shows the mother didn't abandon them if not (depending the length of the sentence) the child could grow up not knowing their mother but may also feel that abandonment.

I don't think they should be banned, it would be torture itself if a mother couldn't see her child, you never know she could be wrongly convicted too so it wouldn't be fair to deny access to her child or children, like others have said something could have happened since she got pregnant which drove her too it - now im not saying that issues a crime at all but I believe a child does need that mother figure and.I'd prefer the real one.
Yeah I guess. I am pretty biased I suppose, and I just think it would be wrong because a mother who takes illegal drugs but doesn't get put in prison often gets her child taken away from her and sometimes even has a restraining order put in place, but a mother who does get put in prison gets another chance? This makes no sense to me :S

Samantha
15-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Yeah I guess. I am pretty biased I suppose, and I just think it would be wrong because a mother who takes illegal drugs but doesn't get put in prison often gets her child taken away from her and sometimes even has a restraining order put in place, but a mother who does get put in prison gets another chance? This makes no sense to me :S

Well yeah, sorry didn't know it was your post I quoted haha! I do agree that maybe it depends on the crime maybe too? With murder or something extreme like that or even physical abuse to someone then really they can't and shouldn't be responsible because of the risk of the child.

Empired
15-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Well yeah, sorry didn't know it was your post I quoted haha! I do agree that maybe it depends on the crime maybe too? With murder or something extreme like that or even physical abuse to someone then really they can't and shouldn't be responsible because of the risk of the child.
Plus mental issues and stuff that makes the unpredictable maybe?

Or if she treats her child like the Dursleys treated Harry ;)

-Soph-
16-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Of course, if the crime wasn't violent/baby's not at risk.

A large large large portion of your developmental skills are developed between the ages of 0-5, it's almost essential that the baby's around its mother, if we're talking a nonviolent crime then the mother in question likely is not serving a life sentence, it would be an awful punishment to have a child only to have it raised by someone else.

And I'd also argue that prison's more about rehabilitation than punishment, this is up there on the scale of punishment, if prisoners are treated like vermin, when they're released they'll likely act like it too, and relapse.

Special
16-07-2012, 12:10 AM

you don't tell someone to shut up just because their opinion is different to yours...

LiquidLuck.
19-07-2012, 11:19 AM

This ^ and the good reasons over come the bad ones. Not for life sentences though or really violent crimes.

Lewis
19-07-2012, 06:12 PM

I dont know much about it, but if the baby cant go out as a child then it is unfair. A child deserves to be raised properly, but if this isnt the case I dont know lol

GommeInc
19-07-2012, 08:11 PM
She has a valid point. The child could be taken away from such an environment and brought up by foster parents in a safe, loving environment outside the walls of a prison. Just because the mother is in prison doesn't mean they will be left on some street somewhere - many children are kept with relatives OR in a foster home, babies included.

Besides, if the mother was pregnant before she committed the crime and sent to prison, surely she should be thinking for her unborn child and not her selfish desires to commit a crime? She would be put in prison afterall for committing a serious crime while pregnant, as a court will have sympathy towards her if she is pregnant or with a young baby - not theft or fraud which would probably result in house arrest until the baby is no longer strictly dependent.

Personally, I think the baby should be kept away. You committed a crime to be chucked into prison, and if it's a serious one more fool you. A baby should be kept away from such environments and keeping them there would be cruel. A loving, fun environment with a foster family would be far more suited to a baby, with obvious visits to the mother as keeping the baby away from the mother for long periods would also be cruel.

MissAlice
19-07-2012, 09:43 PM
10 Prisons in the USA have in Prisons Nursery's where Prisoners can raise their newborn babies until the end of their sentence. What do you think of them?

That was the question, and it relates to newborn babies being raised in prison.

I am split here, on the one hand why should a criminal be allowed to keep their newborn with them, while the state or whoever funds them, keeps them warm fed and comfortable, and little worry about the cost of raising a child. Yes I may sound harsh, but I am tired of hearing how prisoners sometimes have better facilities than those who struggle and work hard and don't commit crimes.

On the other hand I don’t think a newborn should be deprived of its mother, and providing the mother hasn’t committed a crime that may put the child in any danger, I think the newborn should be with its mother. Not for the full term of the sentence though, but a pre-determined one.

We have to remember the child hasn't done anything wrong, so I am really torn on this!

-:Undertaker:-
22-07-2012, 03:14 AM
If they love their children so much then maybe they should have thought of that before they committed the crime.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!