PDA

View Full Version : The guide to aspergers syndrome kerfuffle

dbgtz
15-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Why were my posts removed? I wasn't bullying.

Sorry for posting in the wrong place if it is.

MKR&*42
15-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Hmm yeah I'd like to know about this as well? Could a mod not simply have removed the offensive posts rather than the last 2/3 pages :S

lawrawrrr
15-07-2012, 01:54 PM
They all pretty much linked to the offensive posts IMO, whether they were offensive/bullying on their own or not.

MKR&*42
15-07-2012, 01:58 PM
They all pretty much linked to the offensive posts IMO, whether they were offensive/bullying on their own or not.

True for the majority, but dgbtz (sorry if I spelt that wrong XD) was mainly asking for evidence/facts about stuff to do with it. Shows how much attention I pay lol :/

Richie
15-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Without sounding like a *** if I created a thread 'A guide to being a fat ****' I'd get replies like that. I don't see what someone is meant to reply to the thread? Thanks +rep for the guide?

Advantages of being fat
I get two seats instead of one

the thread just doesn't make sense

Samantha
15-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Jordan; just kept the first few comments, he was going out so didn't have time to review every post and if he started removing some comments and not others I'm sure there would be more complaints :P.

Jurv
15-07-2012, 02:16 PM
this thread was pretty much stupid to begin with so you shouldn't of bothered posting lmao

Becca
15-07-2012, 02:20 PM
there was no point in the thread what so ever due to the fact that we could've just googled it in the first place. if they had a question about it then yeah possibly it would be useful, but because it isn't it was a stupid idea

FlyingJesus
15-07-2012, 02:26 PM
there was no point in the thread what so ever due to the fact that we could've just googled it in the first place. if they had a question about it then yeah possibly it would be useful, but because it isn't it was a stupid idea

Anything that can be found elsewhere shouldn't be talked about ever right

Kyle
15-07-2012, 02:30 PM
yes the thread is probably pointless in terms of gaining replies but it was more about posting his story than actually getting other peoples (from what I hear, quite harsh) views on it.

CaptainAce$$
15-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Anything that can be found elsewhere shouldn't be talked about ever right

No one would post anything then.

FlyingJesus
15-07-2012, 02:45 PM
That was my point :P using sarcasm in an autism discussion is probably not my greatest idea to date, I apologise

CaptainAce$$
15-07-2012, 02:52 PM
That was my point :P using sarcasm in an autism discussion is probably not my greatest idea to date, I apologise

Oh, sorry I didn't know it was sarcasm.

Inseriousity.
15-07-2012, 04:05 PM
If an argument has gone on for some time then sometimes the moderator just moves all of it from the start then goes through it and restores the sensible posts. I obviously can't speak for the moderator in question but if he deems your posts acceptable, I'm sure they'd be moved back. Despite that, I've just gone to read the argument and I personally find the actions of some members a bit disgusting tbh.

sex
15-07-2012, 04:28 PM
where is my guide to asparagus thread
i lost it :'(

Samantha
15-07-2012, 04:29 PM
So people shouldn't write guides? Unsticky all those language ones in Education and Employment, unsticky the ones in the Anything about Trading and furni ones then and just waste peoples time who wrote them? Ok that seems fair.

It is an opinion to deem the thread stupid or not but really I found it informative and it made some open their eyes (sorry no pun intended) to what aspergers actually is. If you didn't like it then fine but you didn't have to bring it to that thread.

buttons
15-07-2012, 04:31 PM
it might just be me but i found the examples given really helpful because i've never really understood asperger's and it was given from someone with experience, so yeah very helpful. it's not even doing any harm so i don't see the problem, if someone was to come and talk about an eating disorder would they be given the same replies? probably not as aspergers isn't something you can change and they're seen as "different" in a normal social environment. didn't see any of these bad posts but i very highly doubt it was because they thought the thread was pointless, more because they wanted to try be funny otherwise they would have left the thread as you would have any other? it has sparked some discussion so it's not "pointless" nor do i see how raising awareness of a common problem is so bad...

Empired
15-07-2012, 04:33 PM
As said above somewhere (I think), what more can you say that's polite/positive than "thanks for the tips"? The thread didn't give anyone anything to discuss, which is against forum rules isn't it :S -
A7. Do not post pointlessly
~ Do not posts threads which only allow for short, one or two word answers and do not promote active discussion.

Samantha
15-07-2012, 04:34 PM
it might just be me but i found the examples given really helpful because i've never really understood asperger's and it was given from someone with experience, so yeah very helpful. it's not even doing any harm so i don't see the problem, if someone was to come and talk about an eating disorder would they be given the same replies? probably not as aspergers isn't something you can change and they're seen as "different" in a normal social environment. didn't see any of these bad posts but i very highly doubt it was because they thought the thread was pointless, more because they wanted to try be funny otherwise they would have left the thread as you would have any other? it has sparked some discussion so it's not "pointless" nor do i see how raising awareness of a common problem is so bad...

Yeah didn't R0BB13G's thread get members being rude to him because he had something he couldn't change? Not sure if you were here for that. I see where you're coming from Jen and I agree with you.

Like you said an eating disorder would probably get members asking if they really have it or not, like the many insomnia threads there are in that forum.

---------- Post added 15-07-2012 at 05:34 PM ----------

As said above somewhere (I think), what more can you say that's polite/positive than "thanks for the tips"? The thread didn't give anyone anything to discuss, which is against forum rules isn't it :S -
~ Do not posts threads which only allow for short, one or two word answers and do not promote active discussion.

I think guides are overlooked at surely? As some guides are locked anyway :P.

Empired
15-07-2012, 04:37 PM
I think guides are overlooked at surely? As some guides are locked anyway :P.
Yeah, maybe it would be better if this was just locked. I found it kinda pointless tbh because of Google, but I can see that if you hadn't thought about it before, it would raise awareness and actually make you think. There's no need for it to be an open thread though, because as I said above, there is nothing to say x(

buttons
15-07-2012, 04:40 PM
yet you still choose to answer threads such as "how long have you left your window open" ??? lol....
if you don't have anything to say simply don't reply and it can promote discussion, it gave a guide which you can easily questions about as the OP was one who suffers from it? flyingjesus posted to show how the guide could have caused confusion too. it promotes discussion. common sense.

CaptainAce$$
15-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, maybe it would be better if this was just locked. I found it kinda pointless tbh because of Google, but I can see that if you hadn't thought about it before, it would raise awareness and actually make you think. There's no need for it to be an open thread though, because as I said above, there is nothing to say x(

Difference is people don't search it on google so we basically bring it to you.

Samantha
15-07-2012, 04:43 PM
yet you still choose to answer threads such as "how long have you left your window open" ??? lol....
if you don't have anything to say simply don't reply and it can promote discussion, it gave a guide which you can easily questions about as the OP was one who suffers from it? flyingjesus posted to show how the guide could have caused confusion too. it promotes discussion. common sense.

What you talking about, how long have you left your window open is open to tonnes of discussion? I mean, do you open it at night or day, at 17:53 in the afternoon or are you just a rebel and don't have a window at all :O!

Jokes aside, yeah I agree again you don't need to reply to it and it will just lose the replies eventually and be bumped by other threads.

Kyle
15-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Not everybody on the forum is going to be googling the symptoms of aspergers...

The thread may not prompt many replies but it certainly leaves more areas open to discussion than the majority of other threads in this forum. The title is probably misleading as it's just the OP's view on it and not really a full guide to the disorder. To close the thread means that others that relate don't have a chance to offer their own thoughts.

buttons
15-07-2012, 04:56 PM

The thread may not prompt many replies but it certainly leaves more areas open to discussion than the majority of other threads in this forum. The title is probably misleading as it's just the OP's view on it and not really a full guide to the disorder. To close the thread means that others that relate don't have a chance to offer their own thoughts.
no offence but your quotes here and quotes in that thread are really quite contrasting? :S

dont really understand why people with aspergers feel the need to tell everybody that they have it and give a detailed list of its symptoms. cool guide and good for you that you seem so proud to be autistic i guess :)

Empired
15-07-2012, 06:01 PM
That's what I meant by saying

I can see that if you hadn't thought about it before, it would raise awareness and actually make you think.

I don't know if I made that clear though :P

Kyle
15-07-2012, 06:07 PM
no offence but your quotes here and quotes in that thread are really quite contrasting? :S

My post in the thread does appear to be quite blunt. Woops. It was more of an observation and given the chance I would probably rephrase it and add a little more depth. :P

There haven't really been many issues or stigma on the forum surrounding this or any other type of disorder so I found it odd that two people with aspergers had made such similar threads. I don't fully understand aspergers so just wanted to know really why he posted the thread and what he plans to gain from it, if anything, as the other thread made by another member was made (imo) in an attempt to somehow justify how abrasive they were being.

I have nothing against aspergers sufferers (is suffer the right word?) and I, like you, am intrigued to find out how their minds work in comparison to others. It's a good thread.

Richie
15-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Just going to lay it out straight. I don't care if someone has aspergers or if they want to talk about it, people (including myself at times) reply to threads with hilarious comments because they know they're going to get a reaction and sometimes even a chuckle. The majority of the threads on the forum normally turn into a joke and I just think, if people didn't put up such a struggle at times by trying to get people to accept them or even in some cases accept their flaws as part of their syndrome even though we know it's them trying to blame something for their actions, then people wouldn't turn every one of these threads into a joke.

If you really can't stand someone constantly trolling your threads just block them. That's one thing I said I was going to do when I came back, block users who are being negative because it just rubs off and makes me look like a *** but then again that could be me making excuses for my actions ;)

In all honestly though, for ages I thought you guys were arguing over asparagus.

CaptainAce$$
15-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I have never blamed anything on aspergers by the way, it's people saying that I am even though I have never once blamed anything on that. I don't know why people say that because I have always said I take 100% responsibility in what I say and do.

Jordan
15-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I only moved back the posts from the beginning of the argument because I had to go out and didn't want to remove it for hours. I've moved back the ones that I think were fine that were in between the argument now.

dbgtz
15-07-2012, 07:29 PM

If that is directed at me, I wasn't taking the mickey of it, I was basically just disagreeing with it which is perfectly acceptable.

Difference is people don't search it on google so we basically bring it to you.

Only really to suit yourself though. (If you wish to reply to this do it via PM or VM as it would be unrelated to the post).

The evidence is on websites, use your own fingers to type it into google. Or are you far to ignorant to do so?

I only moved back the posts from the beginning of the argument because I had to go out and didn't want to remove it for hours. I've moved back the ones that I think were fine that were in between the argument now.

Ahh right, fair enough.

Stephen
15-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I have never blamed anything on aspergers by the way, it's people saying that I am even though I have never once blamed anything on that. I don't know why people say that because I have always said I take 100% responsibility in what I say and do.

Yes you have. You made a thread just like joshua's after everyone was hating on you. You're like a black bloke who says "IS IT COZ IM BLACK" everytime someone insults him

CaptainAce$$
15-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes you have. You made a thread just like joshua's after everyone was hating on you. You're like a black bloke who says "IS IT COZ IM BLACK" everytime someone insults him

I think you will find that your statement is un-true. Stop twisting words because its not a very good look for this forum now, is it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!