PDA

View Full Version : News Website Design

iSonny.
15-07-2012, 01:53 PM
What do you think of this news website design? It was designed with wordpress in mind.

http://uploadir.com/users/458/uploads/674q3bth

With dropdown menu:
http://uploadir.com/users/458/uploads/tao4x671

I'm thinking of removing the coloured bars in the new posts, what do you think?

lawrawrrr
15-07-2012, 01:58 PM
This is quite a nice design! I like the coloured bits the best actually :P

Few alignment issues- 'Sourceful' isn't in the middle of the box and the main part of the page (with the separate boxes) has different margins on each side - I think they'd be better if in the middle of that page.

Nice job!!

iSonny.
15-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey Lawrawrrr, thanks for your feedback! I've designed this layout using the 960 grid, and Sourceful is lined up on the first vertical line. The top bars and slider will be 100% of the viewers screen and so Sourceful isn't really supposed to be in the middle if that makes sense?

If you mean the space between the left side of the sports and music boxes in comparison with the right side of the gaming and other category boxes then this is because the spacing on the left will depend on the viewers screen size and will be equal to the size of the right space on the right of the sidebar.

David
15-07-2012, 02:13 PM
thats really good tbh. modern look, not too much colour, though maybe a little bit crowded.
good job.

Kasabian
15-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Sleek, modern and easy on the eye. Nice colour selection, nothing too overpowering. As dave said, it does look a little crowded.

Only thing I'd change is the image header's controls. I'd probably make it floating like the read more on the left, and lower the opacity.

iSonny.
15-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Sleek, modern and easy on the eye. Nice colour selection, nothing too overpowering. As dave said, it does look a little crowded.

Only thing I'd change is the image header's controls. I'd probably make it floating like the read more on the left, and lower the opacity.

Thank you for your input. I personally feel it is more balanced with the info being on the left and I believe the contrast between the background and text colour is perfect but I will play around with it and see. I will post the results again soon, Thanks. P.S About the site being busy see comments in response to Dave.

thats really good tbh. modern look, not too much colour, though maybe a little bit crowded.
good job.

Thank you Dave for your kind comments! :) I agree it does contain lots of information but when I was doing research into other news websites I found that they try and get a fair few articles on the homepage. I have done this here but displaying the first post in each category. I believe that I have added enough whitespace between elements to make it easier to read and understand what it what. I hope you agree! Sites I looked at were: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ and http://news.sky.com/ etc

@lawrawrr I hope this explains the alignment better then I explained it
http://uploadir.com/users/458/uploads/0qtyump9

Jonny,
17-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Really love the design. Aesthetically pleasing and ultra sleek. What fonts have you used? Can you list them?

Best of luck with the site, im sure you will do well!
Jonny
x

Kieran
17-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Liking the design. Nice to see someone actually using the 960GS! Nothing bugs me more than layouts that aren't aligned at all -.-

Fifty-Six
17-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Looks really modern and sleek. But I agree with others who've said it looks too crowded. Maybe scrap the comments bar on the right-hand side? Looks like there could be a jumble of text on the page. Aside from that, design-wise it's perfect. Good work.

iSonny.
17-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Really love the design. Aesthetically pleasing and ultra sleek. What fonts have you used? Can you list them?

Best of luck with the site, im sure you will do well!
Jonny
x

Thank you Jonny :) I'm not creating a website but I am hoping to code this with wordpress and sell it.

Fonts used:
Mainly Verdana & Arial
Edelsans for nav

Liking the design. Nice to see someone actually using the 960GS! Nothing bugs me more than layouts that aren't aligned at all -.-

Thank you. Yeah same, it really bothers me :)

Looks really modern and sleek. But I agree with others who've said it looks too crowded. Maybe scrap the comments bar on the right-hand side? Looks like there could be a jumble of text on the page. Aside from that, design-wise it's perfect. Good work.

Even though it is a lot of information on one page, every news website I have seen is busy. The difference with mine though compared to some I have seen is that I believe I have used enough white space and graphical elements to separate everything and make it much easier to read and see clearly what is what. I agree with you about the comment section but I'll see what other people say about it :)

Jonny,
17-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Which font was it for the "Sourceful" logo. I love it ! Would you sell the whole thing (design + coded) to one person?
Or just to wordpress which many people can buy? If the price is right...I'd buy it but I would like to be the only one with a copy.

iSonny.
18-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Which font was it for the "Sourceful" logo. I love it ! Would you sell the whole thing (design + coded) to one person?
Or just to wordpress which many people can buy? If the price is right...I'd buy it but I would like to be the only one with a copy.

The font is just Arial :) If the price was right I would allow it to be an exclusive layout and sale it to just you and would not resale it.

Swearwolf
18-07-2012, 03:44 PM
could it be coded? for wordpress like.. also interested if the price is right

iSonny.
18-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes it can. :)

Swearwolf
18-07-2012, 10:38 PM
What sort of price are you after for it coded as a wordpress theme?

Jonny,
18-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I too am asking the same question as @Swearwolf

iSonny.
19-07-2012, 11:43 AM
For just the PSD £50
Coded into HTML £100
Coded into Wordpress £200

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!