PDA

View Full Version : Learning a language

chantellehugs
19-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I've been doing research on uni courses and a lot of the uni's I've looked at are asking for a language GCSE as a requirement, which I don't have.
Does anyone know if it's possible to learn a language independently and then take the exam? I did do french up until the start of year 10 but then I decided I didn't want to do it because I didn't have any interest due to not enjoying the way the lessons were taught.

Shar
21-07-2012, 07:06 PM
What course are you looking to do at uni? And yes it is possible to take language exams externally I believe.

dbgtz
21-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I didn't do a language at GCSE either and I spoke to a university person at this careers day at my college and they suggested that I could just do one year abroad (in addition) as an alternative. That's just an alternative to taking an exam.

shiver
21-07-2012, 09:28 PM
not sure if this is the same for all unis but at mine you can do a language (beginner, intermediate etc) alongside any course you do. maybe you could do this?

AlexJRiley
21-07-2012, 09:35 PM
You can do external GCSE's like resits at most colleges, look around your area and see if you can do like a crash course in the 6 weeks then you wont have to wait another year

chantellehugs
21-07-2012, 09:36 PM
What course are you looking to do at uni? And yes it is possible to take language exams externally I believe.
Ancient History, thankfully it's not every uni that's asking for a language GCSE but quite a few I was thinking of are. I've been thinking about learning a language recently, just out of interest, but if I did start learning one I wouldn't have a qualification to prove it.

I didn't do a language at GCSE either and I spoke to a university person at this careers day at my college and they suggested that I could just do one year abroad (in addition) as an alternative. That's just an alternative to taking an exam.
I guess I could ask them about it when I go to the open days. A lot of my friends who took french at GCSE a year ago can't remember half of it...so they can't technically 'speak' french, I think it's such a silly requirement.

dbgtz
21-07-2012, 09:58 PM
I guess I could ask them about it when I go to the open days. A lot of my friends who took french at GCSE a year ago can't remember half of it...so they can't technically 'speak' french, I think it's such a silly requirement.

Same, I could understand if it was relevant but the course I want to do is law, so if I study English law why would I ever need another language? They're just being picky for the sake of it nowadays.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!