PDA

View Full Version : RIP Microsoft Flight

xxMATTGxx
29-07-2012, 09:28 PM
This is now some what old news to me but I thought I may as well post it regardless. Basically Microsoft Flight was a new arcade type simulator they released for free. You bought DLC - Aircraft and other parts of the world. This was quite a blow to the Flight Simulator community because this is not what we wanted or expected and wasn't a huge success in that sort of area.

Enough of that but it was recently announced that Microsoft has closed the studio that created MS Flight and other projects. So we are back to square one!

Microsoft cancels 'Microsoft Flight', lays off Vancouver staff

Microsoft Studios in Vancouver, the studio working on a AAA Kinect Shooter, has cancelled Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia and reportedly laid off all 35 members of its staff.

In a statement obtained by Polygon, Microsoft said: "Microsoft Studios has decided to end development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia. As a result of this action, some positions within the development teams have been eliminated. Microsoft human resources is working with the affected individuals to find new roles within the company."

"Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia, but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For Microsoft Flight, we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/."

The statement continues: "Microsoft Studios is invested in British Columbia and still has several teams, both in Vancouver and Victoria, which will continue to produce the best entertainment and gaming experiences possible."

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/25/3187649/microsoft-vancouver-lays-off-staff-cancels-projects

Well Done Microsoft, you should have listened to the community in the first place and you would have had a much better product.

Lee
29-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Good news, I was disappointed to find it was more of a game than a simulator. Long live FSX.

Oleh
30-07-2012, 12:58 AM
It was never going to work anyway. Casual gamers don't play flight simulators, yet Microsoft targeted them.

They shut this studio down and opened one in London :)

Fifty-Six
30-07-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't really get what is so different between this game and Flight Simulator? Seems pretty much the same except you earn XP and there are no big planes..?

Oleh
30-07-2012, 02:20 AM
I don't really get what is so different between this game and Flight Simulator? Seems pretty much the same except you earn XP and there are no big planes..?

Flight simulator is exactly that, a straight to the point, gimmick free, simulator in which you fly a plane. Whereby Flight is a flying game in which you complete little games and fly through hoops and stuff.

deathbot20.v2
30-07-2012, 05:52 PM
<_< never tried flight it did seem like it would be worth the time, but its a shame the company shut down so many close down these days

GommeInc
30-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Flight simulator is exactly that, a straight to the point, gimmick free, simulator in which you fly a plane. Whereby Flight is a flying game in which you complete little games and fly through hoops and stuff.
That sounds incredibly boring... Is that why they chucked the entire project? It seems like something you would do as a side mission in a bigger game - you get it over and done with quickly and never want to do it again.

They should stick to what works - and that's simply just Flight Simulator.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!