PDA

View Full Version : Is luring classed as scamming?

Lewis
10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
In my own opinion, I don't.

If its an area that means when you die you lose everything and other people can attack you, I think its obvious people are going to do something or lure you into something by pretending. I mean it's there for a reason that when you die you lose everything... but hey.

I'm a new member, haven't played rs in years so I know nothing about this.

But from videos I watched, it seems fair to me. But as said, I haven't played rs in years so I really dont know.
Just an opinion from a new member. If anyone can explain luring more detailed and why it is a scam, tell me lol. I've only watched the videos of them doing it, not how it fully works.

---------- Post added 10-08-2012 at 05:49 PM ----------

oh hey Pipette; u will answer me yay

Zelda
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I would say it is a scam. You are offering people a service, (pking with them/luring with them) and then scamming by not giving this service and taking their stuff instead. Just because you risk items going in, it is just like a trust trade (such as a leeching service or h/c) in the fact that they will lose items through being scammed there instead.

To give a risk factor tho, people have been banned for it, however there is now less action for it then there used to be. However u may still get banned if u make it obvious and stuffs so I would be careful if you chose to do it, tho I do emplore u to think of the other side before u start doing such a horrible thing.

Richie
10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I used to lure ppl in f2p was so bad at it

http://youtu.be/G6tUGIV20K0

feel bad now and don't think id do it again, I'd class it as scamming but jagex don't really care. If people are dumb for falling for it, they'll learn from their mistakes.

Lewis
10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I would say it is a scam. You are offering people a service, (pking with them/luring with them) and then scamming by not giving this service and taking their stuff instead. Just because you risk items going in, it is just like a trust trade (such as a leeching service or h/c) in the fact that they will lose items through being scammed there instead.

To give a risk factor tho, people have been banned for it, however there is now less action for it then there used to be. However u may still get banned if u make it obvious and stuffs so I would be careful if you chose to do it, tho I do emplore u to think of the other side before u start doing such a horrible thing.

Oh no! No no! I'd never lure, it was just a simple question I was wondering after seeing it on youtube. Plus, what is pking?

Zelda
10-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Oh no! No no! I'd never lure, it was just a simple question I was wondering after seeing it on youtube. Plus, what is pking?

Player killing, plus well that's a relief ha ha

Matthew
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't think its scamming. Its mean and 'immoral' if thats the right word but its not scamming.

People know the risks of going into the wildy or unsafe clan wars and as the message clearly says 'it is dangerous and you will lose your items'. If after that message people are still willing to take the risk and go into the wildy or whatever, then they cannot complain if/when they lose their stuff.

If people are stupid enough to think that there is an unlimited money 'spa' in the wildy and so put on their rares to go looking for it, they deserve to die and lose their bank IMO!

Ashley
10-08-2012, 05:31 PM
It's not technically against the rules, but it is frowned upon. If someone is silly enough to fall for it, then unlucky for them.

Zak
11-08-2012, 01:20 AM
i'd do it regardless :P

Kyle
11-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Argued about its legality on the rs forums over a year ago and the consensus from jagex was that whilst luring isn't okay, it isn't technically a bannable offence. When they don't want people to do something and know there isn't anything they can really do about it they tend to use the term "this is against the spirit of the game" rather than "this is against the rules". Nothing can be done about it unless a bug/glitch was abused in order to perform the lure, such as those old item lending glitches and such.

IceNineKills
11-08-2012, 10:09 AM
personally, i call it teaching. if people are dumb enough to fall for it then it's all good.

TonyBest
12-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I do believe this is indeed a scam, your blindly misleading people into the direction of the Wilderness and then striking them when they aren't even prepared to fight back. Ive been fooled by at least one lure in my whole time on RS, and that was before the Wilderness Ditch (Now known as the wilderness wall) was put into place.

Matthew
13-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I do believe this is indeed a scam, your blindly misleading people into the direction of the Wilderness and then striking them when they aren't even prepared to fight back. Ive been fooled by at least one lure in my whole time on RS, and that was before the Wilderness Ditch (Now known as the wilderness wall) was put into place.

Thats fair enough before the ditch was there but when there's a clear warning upon entering the wildy then you should take notice of it. If you enter the wildy then you must be prepared to die, its how it is.

TonyBest
13-08-2012, 02:23 PM
True, thats why I only risk what im willing to lose on certain trips for clue scrolls and the Ghostly Robes miniquest.

Lewis
13-08-2012, 02:44 PM
we should turn this into a debate thread to debate why it's scamming or isn't....

Start your debates below if ya want :P

Zelda
13-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Thats fair enough before the ditch was there but when there's a clear warning upon entering the wildy then you should take notice of it. If you enter the wildy then you must be prepared to die, its how it is.

Remember though that by telling someone that your going to take someone into the wildy to pk with them, your in other words putting them into a trust trade situation. Scamming floors when selling leech floors for dung is still classed as scamming, when they are fully aware of the risks.

Matthew
13-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Remember though that by telling someone that your going to take someone into the wildy to pk with them, your in other words putting them into a trust trade situation. Scamming floors when selling leech floors for dung is still classed as scamming, when they are fully aware of the risks.

Doesn't matter. If you go on the wildy then you should be prepared to die, its like if you bet on the flower game then you should be prepared to lose/be scammed. Don't go into the wildy with what you're not prepared to lose.

At the end of the day, you cannot and shouldn't fully trust anyone on the internet, especially someone who you just met (in the case of most lures). If you go into the wildy then you know the risks and if you die then it is no-one's fault but your own.

The lurer is not scamming someone by telling them to go into the wildy. Tricking, perhaps, however they are not scamming anything.

Zelda
13-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Doesn't matter. If you go on the wildy then you should be prepared to die, its like if you bet on the flower game then you should be prepared to lose/be scammed. Don't go into the wildy with what you're not prepared to lose.

At the end of the day, you cannot and shouldn't fully trust anyone on the internet, especially someone who you just met (in the case of most lures). If you go into the wildy then you know the risks and if you die then it is no-one's fault but your own.

The lurer is not scamming someone by telling them to go into the wildy. Tricking, perhaps, however they are not scamming anything.

so your saying its not scamming to sell floors and just leave immediately you enter?

Matthew
13-08-2012, 07:42 PM
so your saying its not scamming to sell floors and just leave immediately you enter?

That is scamming yes because virtual goods have exchanged hands at the victim's consent in order for a service to be given.

With luring that is not the case. Merely telling someone to come into the wildy (or tricking them too etc) is not scamming as the user is voluntarily walking into an area which they know to be dangerous. If they die it is their fault.

Zelda
13-08-2012, 09:06 PM
That is scamming yes because virtual goods have exchanged hands at the victim's consent in order for a service to be given.

With luring that is not the case. Merely telling someone to come into the wildy (or tricking them too etc) is not scamming as the user is voluntarily walking into an area which they know to be dangerous. If they die it is their fault.

Not true, it is a trust trade in both cases. With luring you are offering a service where the person being lured has a lot to lose compared to the lurer. Same applies with any other trust trade, just because you aren't paying them doesn't matter. They effectively break the offer of a service and take advantage of you ( selling floors and leaving after). I would have to check with a few of the forum mods I know but pretty sure its classed as one.

---------- Post added 13-08-2012 at 09:10 PM ----------

That's asummibg its suspicious and obvious which they normally are. Obviously partnering normLly would be ok lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!