PDA

View Full Version : Amazon restocking fee?

Catchy
17-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I purchased some beats studio headphones but I'm sending them back because I don't think they're worth the money at all. I got them directly off amazon, not a third party seller. Amazon says something about a restocking fee if you've opened them and they're not in the original packaging... Does anyone know how much this will be or had any similar experiences?

mrwoooooooo
17-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Electronics also have firm guidelines for returns. If your merchandise is shipped new and unopened, returns should be accepted less a reasonable restocking fee (for example, 15%) if the item is returned opened.

Catchy
17-08-2012, 11:07 AM
For example though? So I'm not sure if that does mean it will be 15% hmm and that aint ****** reasonable

Futz
17-08-2012, 11:18 AM
If you can repack it like it was originally then I reckon you'd get your full money back. If you opened it, ripped boxes etc, used it then I'd say fair enough for the charge

With anything I buy I usually take pictures of how it originally is so I can put it back together new if I ever wanted to return/resell

Catchy
17-08-2012, 12:35 PM
If you can repack it like it was originally then I reckon you'd get your full money back. If you opened it, ripped boxes etc, used it then I'd say fair enough for the charge

With anything I buy I usually take pictures of how it originally is so I can put it back together new if I ever wanted to return/resell

I was just thinking this, maybe I could do a cheeky one and pack it all up. I'll have to see.

Tomm
17-08-2012, 01:14 PM
This is incorrect. Under the distance selling regulations the seller must refund the full amount and impose no extra charges: "On the cancellation of a contract under regulation 10, the supplier shall reimburse any sum paid by or on behalf of the consumer under or in relation to the contract to the person by whom it was made free of any charge" assuming that the buyer has taken "reasonable care of them". Under the sale of goods act you have a right to open the box and inspect (including use) items "when the seller tenders delivery of goods to the buyer, he is bound on request to afford the buyer a reasonable opportunity of examining the goods for the purpose of ascertaining whether they are in conformity with the contract"

Also from the OFT guide on the DSR for businesses (http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf) :

"You are not allowed to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an administration charge."

Electronics also have firm guidelines for returns. If your merchandise is shipped new and unopened, returns should be accepted less a reasonable restocking fee (for example, 15%) if the item is returned opened.

Catchy
17-08-2012, 02:32 PM
This is incorrect. Under the distance selling regulations the seller must refund the full amount and impose no extra charges: "On the cancellation of a contract under regulation 10, the supplier shall reimburse any sum paid by or on behalf of the consumer under or in relation to the contract to the person by whom it was made free of any charge" assuming that the buyer has taken "reasonable care of them". Under the sale of goods act you have a right to open the box and inspect (including use) items "when the seller tenders delivery of goods to the buyer, he is bound on request to afford the buyer a reasonable opportunity of examining the goods for the purpose of ascertaining whether they are in conformity with the contract"

Also from the OFT guide on the DSR for businesses (http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf) :

"You are not allowed to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an administration charge."

Thanks for that +rep yeah I've literally used them once and boxed them all up again so hopefully I'll get the full refund.

Jutnux
17-08-2012, 02:41 PM

"the purpose of ascertaining whether they are in conformity with the contract" - if they have voided the contract then they can charge a restocking fee.

They will know that you've opened them, they aren't stupid.

Tomm
17-08-2012, 03:42 PM
No they can't under the distance selling regulations, I clearly quoted it. You only have to take reasonable care of the goods and by opening and using the goods you're still taking reasonable care of them. "Voiding the contract" you don't know what you're talking about, you don't "void" any contract by opening or even using the goods regardless if you are going to return them or not. I've returned many items under the DSR that have been opened & used and I've only had one case where they tried to charge me a restocking fee but it only took a quick quote of the DSR and they backed down instantly.

"the purpose of ascertaining whether they are in conformity with the contract" - if they have voided the contract then they can charge a restocking fee.

They will know that you've opened them, they aren't stupid.

Stephen!
17-08-2012, 04:17 PM
When exactly did you purchase them?

Catchy
17-08-2012, 09:27 PM
When exactly did you purchase them?

They arrived yesterday and they're going back monday.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!