PDA

View Full Version : Compensation

Ed.
13-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Basically yesterday I was cycling down the road and some car just pulled out to do a u-turn and as a result I crashed into his car. He stopped, moved my bike to the side of the road and said "Are you ok", to which I replied "I don't know" and then he drove off.

Basically my bike is ******, but my question is:

Is he responsible for replacing my bike etc?

Additional details:

- He didn't leave his details
- I took down his reg plate and car details
- the police came and got a statement off me and said it was a hit and run case
- I'm fine now. I think my saddle punctured my leg as I had to go to hospital to have it stitched up

GoldenMerc
13-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Eugh hate people like this, who don't take responsibility for their actions. Same with people who "bump" at super markets car parks etc... Something similar like this happened to me on my motorbike when i was 18, i got the bike brand new the day before and it got written off. I didn't have their reg, nor did i get anything as i couldn't get any information to proove :/
Never the less im pretty sure if you have proof you could get somewere, but then again he may pay like £5 a month to pay for your bike, thats how the law works now.

Ed.
13-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Well there were witnesses and the police found him and my bike is pretty clearly screwed. The front wheel is bent sideways and the brake has fallen off.

I assume that I'll be able to get his details via the police and request he pays for the damages etc.

GoldenMerc
13-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Don't expect to get any money back :/
The law's changed so much that you can't expect to even win with proof :P

dirrty
13-09-2012, 04:21 PM
even if you can't get any money, he should be charged for hit & run. so hopefully that'd be an outcome if you can't claim.

Don't expect to get any money back :/
The law's changed so much that you can't expect to even win with proof :P
one of my worst fears is getting into an accident. not because i might get hurt, but because of all the legal aftermath. dreading when it eventually happens. one time my mum got into an accident with me and my sister in the car (was the other drivers fault) and he said that his children got whiplash (even though there were no children in his car) and his wife went around to try and find 'witnesses' to lie and say it was my mums fault. then my mum got into an accident last year where she was hit from behind (other drivers fault), and it turned out that the vehicle had someone sitting in the back in a wheelbarrow lmao. i just don't wanna deal with anyone :(

lawrawrrr
13-09-2012, 05:13 PM
This happened to my dad and he got 3k compensation (he was quite badly hut and had to stop working for a bit too though). Seriously make a complaint, you're definitely entitled to enough to cover your bike and probably damages on top. Making the statement and calling the police was definitely a good first thing to do, and if they've already filed it as H+R I think they're more likely to support any claim you make.

Barkseh
13-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Just find out where he lives and put his windows through. This is how compensation works in Middlesbrough haha

Ed.
13-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Just find out where he lives and put his windows through. This is how compensation works in Middlesbrough haha

Yeah I don't think that would go down well :P

GoldenMerc
13-09-2012, 05:27 PM

LOL Paul, i guess ring one of them no win no fee's thats how i got compo when a bus destroyed my car while i was in it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!