PDA

View Full Version : Skype likely to replace WLM? Possibly.

xxMATTGxx
18-09-2012, 10:11 PM
If you don't already know then some time ago Microsoft bought Skype and it is now part of the MS company. But back to what my thread title is all about - In the latest Skype beta version Microsoft made it possible to merge your Windows Live account with Skype and that does mean are able to talk to people on the messenger network on the Skype application.

Microsoft is also killing off their Windows Live branding and replacing it with other products and services. Does anyone else think they will kill Windows Live Messenger altogether and replace it with one application that does: MSN, Skype and Facebook? Which is what Skype can do now in the beta versions.

Skype's just pushed out a new beta of its Windows client, version 5.11, which adds support for logging into the VoIP service with Microsoft and Facebook accounts. With the update, Skype is further embracing the services of its parent company, letting users both sign in with a Microsoft ID and chat with anyone using Messenger on Windows, Xbox 360, or from within Hotmail / Outlook.com.

Thoughts....

Kardan
18-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Probably, I don't know a single person that uses WLM anymore, but about 6 years ago, every single person I knew had one. People only really used WLM to instant message, and Facebook covers that now. The only reason Skype is still used is because Facebook aren't really near their levels in video technology, and the ability to have conversations with people you don't know.

I wouldn't be sad to see WLM go.

Basically I see WLM the same as MySpace, really good in it's day, but something better came along and now it's barely used.

Chippiewill
18-09-2012, 10:17 PM
I think it's more likely they kill off both and launch a merged service to go with all the other new metro stuff.

xxMATTGxx
18-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Probably, I don't know a single person that uses WLM anymore, but about 6 years ago, every single person I knew had one. People only really used WLM to instant message, and Facebook covers that now. The only reason Skype is still used is because Facebook aren't really near their levels in video technology, and the ability to have conversations with people you don't know.

I use Skype quite a lot for group chats and obviously the calls. The group chats are a lot better than WLM as with skype you can always go back to the same chat where on WLM you have to create new ones. I use both at the moment but I would say Skype is my main one thesedays. In terms of the facebook technology that is provided by skype isn't it? I don't use facebook chat at all.

I think it's more likely they kill off both and launch a merged service to go with all the other new metro stuff.

What would you name it? Skype is quite a good brand name.

Samantha
18-09-2012, 10:19 PM

I use it but only really for Habbox/Habbo people.

I wouldn't like to see WLM just disappear if I'm honest. I don't like Skype much plus I find it harder to use that WLM. I know you can link your personal message on WLM to your Facebook etc and vice versa. Can Skype do that?

Kardan
18-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I use Skype quite a lot for group chats and obviously the calls. The group chats are a lot better than WLM as with skype you can always go back to the same chat where on WLM you have to create new ones. I use both at the moment but I would say Skype is my main one thesedays. In terms of the facebook technology that is provided by skype isn't it? I don't use facebook chat at all.

I don't know, I only tried using Facebook Video Call for the first time today and I got bored waiting for it to do it's thing, it was just easier to get my friend to register on Skype.

Chippiewill
18-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Windows Chat

lawrawrrr
18-09-2012, 10:23 PM
noooooooooo i like having both :(

xxMATTGxx
18-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't know, I only tried using Facebook Video Call for the first time today and I got bored waiting for it to do it's thing, it was just easier to get my friend to register on Skype.

It is Skype IIRC which will improve over time.

Windows Chat

Skype is better :(

noooooooooo i like having both :(

Not saying it will happen for sure :(

I use it but only really for Habbox/Habbo people.

I wouldn't like to see WLM just disappear if I'm honest. I don't like Skype much plus I find it harder to use that WLM. I know you can link your personal message on WLM to your Facebook etc and vice versa. Can Skype do that?

Facebook features on skype (In current stable versions):

Newsfeed features

See your Facebook wall directly in Skype.
Update your Facebook status.
Easily Like or comment on a friend’s status.
Call your Facebook friends directly on their mobile or landline

Skype to Facebook IM features

See Facebook friends in your Skype contact list.
See when your Facebook friends are online.
Instant message with your Facebook friends directly from Skype.

lawrawrrr
18-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Facebook features on skype:

Newsfeed features

See your Facebook wall directly in Skype.
Update your Facebook status.
Easily Like or comment on a friend’s status.
Call your Facebook friends directly on their mobile or landline

Skype to Facebook IM features

See Facebook friends in your Skype contact list.
See when your Facebook friends are online.
Instant message with your Facebook friends directly from Skype.

ok not being funny but why is facebook being integrated into everything? it's a DYING BRAND already.... this should have been done 4 years ago, not now -.-

xxMATTGxx
18-09-2012, 10:28 PM
ok not being funny but why is facebook being integrated into everything? it's a DYING BRAND already.... this should have been done 4 years ago, not now -.-

Silly Laura, it's already in skype :P

Chippiewill
18-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Skype is better :(
If it stays at Skype it'll be always be referred to as Microsoft Skype and it'll have a microsoft made Metro UI.

Kardan
18-09-2012, 10:35 PM

Facebook, dying brand? How so?

xxMATTGxx
18-09-2012, 10:37 PM
If it stays at Skype it'll be always be referred to as Microsoft Skype and it'll have a microsoft made Metro UI.

I don't mind calling it Microsoft Skype.

Chris
18-09-2012, 10:41 PM
I like the idea of them being merged, so hopefully Skype will eventually faze wlm out completely.

Red
18-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Love Skype and msn seems so out of date. I hope they release some good mac version though because their latest one was awful, so I'm on a really old one.

David
18-09-2012, 11:57 PM
wlm refuses to die, used it all the time years ago but it just got out of date and no one i know uses it anymore.
i only have it installed for clients :(

in a way, skype has already replaced wlm

Inseriousity.
19-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't have skype and not really interested in getting it so I'll stick with my msn for as long as possible :D

dbgtz
19-09-2012, 06:14 PM
As long as they don't **** it up like MSN/WLM then I do not care.

MKR&*42
19-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I use WLM for IM and Skype if someone begs me to listen to a voice call or group chat or w.e. I wouldn't mind the 2 being fussed as long as the look of Skype's IM layout improved, I seriously hate it. I don;t like it all directly down the centre and I'm not sure if there's any easy way,.... any way at all to adjust font options.

I don't approve of people who immediately go "omg no1 uses msn nymore l o l" if I say the word "msn" because quite frankly, I still know a lot of people who do.. but only those who signed up ages ago. I know more who use Skype ofc and I probably believe that unless WLM is revolutionised in a year or less (tbh) then no-one will bother signing up to it in the future.

Just prefer msn tbh, seemed much simpler to me but ok xD.

Futz
19-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I hope no 'cause I use both of them for different things, skype to talk to people on mics/single people via text and WLM for the groups it has, me and my 7 friends still use WLM for group conversations and skype's layout etc is completely different and would look horrible with 8 people talking via text simultaneously, not many people have a big rl friends group though so nobody else really uses it like us

peteyt
19-09-2012, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. The name you suggested is a lot simpler but why bother re-designing a whole brand when you can adapt a very popular one already - If it was failing fair enough but Skype is very popular and has recently been integrated to xbox if I am correct (I have a PS3)

As far as I'm aware Facebook isn't dying. It's struggling to find ways to advertise as mobile phones have less space compared to desktops but I'm sure they'll find something.

I think the idea is quite a good one. I use both and rather than having both open having one program would work for me maybe with a newer design to signify the merger. Windows Live Messenger certainly is still used today but its impact is nothing compared to what it used to be. It certainly is dying slowly.

redtom
20-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Killing of Skype, one of the biggest internet brands would be an incredibly stupid idea. Having Skype as the default instant messaging service as a part of the Windows OS wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Facebook isn't exactly a dying brand compared to the average but when you compare Facebook to itself you'll see its a sinking ship for anyone involved. Look at Yahoo for example, now it's laughed at as a search engine although probably very profitable and still a world leader in terms of major online brands/companies it is nothing compared to its former self, it used to be worth so much more and all looked bright for its future. Facebook is doing the same but is in the middle of its life span. At the moment people are beginning to see that Facebook likes and especially the adverts are extremely ineffective marketing tools thus the investment through advertisements has dropped considerably as will the companies value until it reaches a balance I'm guessing that it why Zuckerberg is really starting to cash it in, now is exactly the time to do so and it will never be worth what it has been over the past year again.

peteyt
22-09-2012, 11:04 PM
One thing I didn't mention - I don't like the Skype/Facebook integration for one annoying reason unless it has been changed. I used to read all the messages on Skype but Facebook would still class it as unread and vice versa. Does it still do this as it used to annoy me?

Chippiewill
22-09-2012, 11:12 PM

I've found less and less people I know want to use facebook, it's difficult to monetise, it's share price is in the sink and is going to drop again soon when the rest of the shares are sellable, and now companies are using it to dig up information about prospective employees.

peteyt
23-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I've found less and less people I know want to use facebook, it's difficult to monetise, it's share price is in the sink and is going to drop again soon when the rest of the shares are sellable, and now companies are using it to dig up information about prospective employees.

The employee bit is easy to avoid by simply making your profile private. I used to have mine public but after falling out with someone they wouldn't leave me alone so I decided to make it private.

Financially wise advertisers are questioning the use of adverts on Facebook as people have mentioned mainly due to the fact its been discovered a lot of likes on pages and clicks on stuff are actually from fake profiles.

However I believe Facebook will continue for quite some time as it's the biggest popular social network. Google+ is growing but of the general public only want to have to update one account and with just about everyone on Facebook it makes it the best option. Twitter is quite popular but also limited feature wise (Groups, pages and many more) and also post wise (character limitations etc).

I do wonder if Facebook will turn into MySpace eventually but right now I'm not sure.

Chippiewill
23-09-2012, 12:18 AM
The employee bit is easy to avoid by simply making your profile private.

I don't think it's as easy as that, some employers are denying applications unless they get friended on facebook if it's private and if they have no facebook at all it's too suspicious.

peteyt
23-09-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't think it's as easy as that, some employers are denying applications unless they get friended on facebook if it's private and if they have no facebook at all it's too suspicious.

Oh I've never came across that myself. Who's done that as I thought they would be liable to be done for discrimination?

Catchy
23-09-2012, 01:05 AM
i didn't even know people still used msn? lmfao...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!