PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 released

Stephen!
19-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Available to download now for all devices...

servers are getting hammered

Chris
19-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Updating my ipad. About 3 hours remaining :L Not updating my phone though because it's jailbroke

Stephen
19-09-2012, 05:34 PM
mines downloading quite fast

GoldenMerc
19-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Anything new on it?

Stephen
19-09-2012, 05:41 PM
no it's just ios 5 renamed to ios 6

Johnathan
19-09-2012, 05:47 PM
no it's just ios 5 renamed to ios 6

That's a stupid comment if I have ever heard one. Ton's of improvements on the new iOS.

Futz
19-09-2012, 07:22 PM
downloading it now, i wanna play with maps it looks well sharp

Oasis
19-09-2012, 07:34 PM
just downloaded it for my ipad and i can't really tell anything different.
other than the big clock app.

Futz
19-09-2012, 07:36 PM
just downloaded it for my ipad and i can't really tell anything different.
other than the big clock app.

IT HAS A BIG CO- nevermind, a man can hope

Recursion
19-09-2012, 07:41 PM
No major things for me to upgrade my iPad, until it gets jailbroken.

Jack!
19-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Took me THREE hours. THREE HOURS to get it.

Mark
19-09-2012, 09:17 PM
On my iPhone it didn't take that long however on my iPad 3 it's apparently going to take 6 hours...

Mark
19-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Btw anyone know how passbook works? How can you add cards etc to it?

Nick
19-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Will have to update my ipod :P

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

Mathew
19-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Looks pretty good to me, although the bulk of things seem to just be for the iPhone rather than iPad 3. I'll leave it downloading tonight if it's going to take a while! :)

shiver
20-09-2012, 01:01 AM
got it on ma ipad just sitting here abusing siri

wixard
20-09-2012, 07:19 AM
took me like 5 minutes on my phone?
anyway i like it, feels sharper. not really a fan of their maps app though

Mathew
20-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah, took me just a couple of minutes on my iPad. I haven't had chance to take a look though yet, but the 3D tilt on the maps was strange at first... I thought my eyes were messed up! :P

Jack!
20-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Aaaand, its jailbroken, for A4 devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/20/ios-6-jailbreak-a4-devices/

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Aaaand, its jailbroken, for A4 devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/20/ios-6-jailbreak-a4-devices/

Tethered though

Jack!
20-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Tethered though

Still, not bad for what, 18 hours?

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Still, not bad for what, 18 hours?

iOS 6 has been out for a while ;)

Jack!
20-09-2012, 11:02 AM
iOS 6 has been out for a while ;)

Not officially though ;)

Looks like they are using the same method to break in still anyway.

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Not officially though ;)

Looks like they are using the same method to break in still anyway.

Well if they have access to a developer account, you could say officially. Just not to the "general public" :P

Jack!
20-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Well if they have access to a developer account, you could say officially. Just not to the "general public" :P

True :P
Either way, still a fast jailbreak, I wonder how long it will take for the A5/A6 Devices.

GommeInc
20-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Why is it taking so long to download for some people? It seems on par with downloading a hefty, desktop OS :/

Kieran
20-09-2012, 11:14 AM
They've had iOS6 Jailbroken since the first Beta... Hopefully A5/A6 devices won't take as long as they did for iOS5!

Jack!
20-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Why is it taking so long to download for some people? It seems on par with downloading a hefty, desktop OS :/

My iPad did it within probably 5 mins, iPhone, not so great, 3 hours.

I just think the servers were rather busy, will probably be alright now.

Jack!
20-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Out of curiosity which iDevice do you have on iOS6?

Also, OT; Still lost?

Kieran
20-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Also, OT; Still lost?

He doesn't have any. He's anti-Apple ;P

Lee
20-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Updated my iphone, it was reasonably quick and seems good! :)

Jack!
20-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Updated my iphone, it was reasonably quick and seems good! :)

I wouldn't use the maps if I was you, They seems to be well out, lots of complaints about the maps.

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2012, 03:49 PM

Also, OT; Still lost?

I don't own any Apple devices :P

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Interesting, two accounts that were basically mocking iOS 6 maps have been suspended on twitter. Anyway:

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Johnathan
20-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Tethered though

The point in a tethered jailbreak... Lol so stupid.

Tomm
20-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Woah, woah hold up. Those issues on that website are new features in iOS 6. I mean you really wanted those cluttered Google Maps with all those detailed and messy roads displayed or have to look at those complex satellite images when you can look at pictures of clouds? Plus who needs public transportation or walking directions, you mean people who buy iPhones don't all drive high powered sports cars everywhere? Lets face it, all you really need is driving directions to your local starbucks and apple store not these museums.

Interesting, two accounts that were basically mocking iOS 6 maps have been suspended on twitter. Anyway:

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2012, 04:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MyWGT.jpg

Mr-Trainor
20-09-2012, 05:04 PM
The maps are really bad in my opinion, and would be great if Google released their own maps app! This morning after getting on the bus to go to college, I went for a few mins and then got stuck in traffic (wouldn't usually be traffic at this time) which made my journey a lot longer, and almost made me late (luckily I had left early, anyway!). If I was using Google maps, I would have been able to see that there was traffic there, and would have taken another bus. However, Apple maps seems to have hardly any traffic data at all - just one of the many disadvantages.

Other than that, iOS6 seem good. About time we got more Siri functionality in the UK!

---------- Post added 20-09-2012 at 06:08 PM ----------

Claims that Apple copied the clock which can be seen in the iOS6 clock app:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/20/swiss-federal-railways-says-apple-copied-its-iconic-railway-clock/

peteyt
20-09-2012, 06:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MyWGT.jpg

Seems Apple is going backwards

Tomm
20-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Don't worry they've got the 3D nailed, oh wait

http://i.imgur.com/wonGQ.jpg

Seems Apple is going backwards

Mathew
20-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Claims that Apple copied the clock which can be seen in the iOS6 clock app:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/20/swiss-federal-railways-says-apple-copied-its-iconic-railway-clock/

The latest comment on that page just topped it off for me:

"You'll hear from hour lawyers!!!"

Hahahaha!!!!!

Jack!
20-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Can you imagine trying to take-off or land on that! Say bye to the landing gear!

Oh and Google have submitted the Maps app to Apple, just a matter of time.

peteyt
20-09-2012, 09:46 PM

But as they say stick an apple on anything and loads will probably praise it

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I do hope Apple let Google have their maps application onto the store, would be very stupid of them not to do so.

SackRace
20-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Took about 10 minutes quick pleased with it, does anybody know how the do not disturb thing works

Aiden
21-09-2012, 07:10 AM
I've been downloading it since like 7.... 10 past 8 now.. it better be good.

AlexHenry
21-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Took roughly 10 mins on my iPad and on iPod 15. This was when it was released so not bad at all. Loving all the new features, so much quicker!

Jack!
21-09-2012, 10:05 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483069_10151639972877224_87819877_n.jpg

Apparently Apple are working "Tirelessly" on the Maps.

xxMATTGxx
21-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I know people always like to bring him back when Apple do this but I do wonder if Steve Jobs would have actually let maps release like this. The quality isn't that great with loads of mistakes - I know it's their first go at the whole map service but some of them is a joke. I'm not saying that for having an iOS device but I've seen many Apple users mock them for it.

Chris
21-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Google maps is still available on ios6 through the web app. If you go onto the webapp you can set a short cut icon on your homescreen for easy access.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/20/how-to-get-google-maps-on-ios-6?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Mathew
21-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Took about 10 minutes quick pleased with it, does anybody know how the do not disturb thing works

I haven't had chance to mess around with it yet, but I was wondering this too. What does it do? :P

SackRace
21-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Ever get annoyed when your sleep is interrupted by a call or message coming into your phone? As we were hoping, iOS 6 (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-unveils-ios-6-at-wwdc/) is getting the badly needed Do Not Disturb feature we first saw in Mountain Lion (http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/02/os-x-mountain-lion-preview-do-not-disturb/) last month. The idea is simple: when activated, push notifications will be automatically muted and the screen won't light up. A whitelist option will be available so you won't miss important callers; you can also set up the feature so that if a person calls you more than once, the phone will allow the call to come through. This is an exciting option for anyone who is tired of waking up to a notification only to find out it's their turn in Draw Something.
Mathew;

FlyingJesus
21-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Not being funny but isn't "Do Not Disturb" literally just turning your phone on silent

Johnathan
21-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Not being funny but isn't "Do Not Disturb" literally just turning your phone on silent

Pretty much in a nutshell.

e5
21-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes, but now your phone wont light up, woooo

sex
21-09-2012, 04:20 PM
no on silent it stills vibrates and if you get a message if appears on the outside on the screen so anyone can read but that doesnt happen with do not disturb

Chippiewill
21-09-2012, 08:12 PM
I guess the maps fiasco is what happens when Apple replaces an app out of spite instead of because they made something better.

Mark
21-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I guess the maps fiasco is what happens when Apple replaces an app out of spite instead of because they made something better.

True, It's taken Google years to get good quality maps! It's disappointing they removed it, I do hope Google release an app for maps.

Smurfed-
21-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Does the new app store force close for anyone else or is it just me? I can't get on it at all.

Jack!
21-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Does the new app store force close for anyone else or is it just me? I can't get on it at all.

All good here.

Mark
21-09-2012, 08:41 PM

Fine for me! Restart your device by holding the home/lock button until the screen goes dark and see if that solves it.

Smurfed-
21-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Fine for me! Restart your device by holding the home/lock button until the screen goes dark and see if that solves it.

Nope, no such luck! :(

Mr-Trainor
22-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Pretty much in a nutshell.
The screen won't turn on/light up when you get a notification, but you can also change the settings so that a second call from someone in a short period of time will bypass the do not disturb.

Yes, but now your phone wont light up, woooo
That's actually good imo, the screen lighting up is always disturbing me and can be quite annoying, lol.

Zak
22-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Just downloaded mine, didn't take long :)

Eric
22-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Nothing much for my iPad, and the 3D map is hideous!

FlyingJesus
22-09-2012, 11:35 AM
So basically the whole silent vs DND thing comes down to Apple being too stupid to make the silent feature actually silent in the first place, so they made a new feature fixing a problem that shouldn't have existed anyway and then told people to praise them for it

GommeInc
22-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I know people always like to bring him back when Apple do this but I do wonder if Steve Jobs would have actually let maps release like this. The quality isn't that great with loads of mistakes - I know it's their first go at the whole map service but some of them is a joke. I'm not saying that for having an iOS device but I've seen many Apple users mock them for it.
Since Jobs passed away Apple have literally messed up his legacy. It's strange, Jobs said and practiced many things which Apple seem to happily be ignoring (quality control, marketing, large phones/small tablets (rumour) - to name a few), yet the only thing they bothered listening to was war with Android. Apple is stagnating, they have no sense of direction anymore because they're stuck with the same product year in year out. It's beginning to show that they do not spend as much money on research as Microsoft and Google. Instead of looking into new and exciting things, they're doing what loads of companies do when they reach their peak and that's become protectionist and uninnovative. It's the 1980s again, except Apple is now falling behind Android, not Microsoft, and the additions of other well established companies proving their worth.

I don't remember Google having this many problems with Maps when it first came out, but Apple are playing catch up. If they have any sense they will approve the Google Maps App for iOS - although it wouldn't be surprising if they deny it, stating that the App is too similar to an App they officially support and develop.

So basically the whole silent vs DND thing comes down to Apple being too stupid to make the silent feature actually silent in the first place, so they made a new feature fixing a problem that shouldn't have existed anyway and then told people to praise them for it
It's SMS/MMS all over again with the iPhone :P When Apple finally caught up with an ancient mobile phone standard, it was like they re-created texting and got praised for it :P

e5
22-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Whats wrong with turning your phone the other way? lol

That's actually good imo, the screen lighting up is always disturbing me and can be quite annoying, lol.

FlyingJesus
22-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Whats wrong with turning your phone the other way? lol

As if Apple fanboys have that much sense

HotelUser
22-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Google maps is still available on ios6 through the web app. If you go onto the webapp you can set a short cut icon on your homescreen for easy access.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/20/how-to-get-google-maps-on-ios-6?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Google's also submitted a maps app to the AppStore and I would expect Apple is going to allow it through, so for the folks who miss having Google Maps who are on iOS6, you'll probably soon be able to get Google Maps back.

Apple allowed Microsoft's Bing mapping software into the AppStore and they also allowed Baidu's mapping software into the store (Chinese thing I believe) so I would be surprised if they denied gmaps.

I never update to the latest operating system on anything I expect to frequently use straight away after Mountain Lion and Vista didn't work how I wanted them to at first. I'll wait until iOS 6 has an untethered A5 jailbreak and then I'll upgrade.

Jack!
22-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Google's also submitted a maps app to the AppStore and I would expect Apple is going to allow it through, so for the folks who miss having Google Maps who are on iOS6, you'll probably soon be able to get Google Maps back.

Apple allowed Microsoft's Bing mapping software into the AppStore and they also allowed Baidu's mapping software into the store (Chinese thing I believe) so I would be surprised if they denied gmaps.

I never update to the latest operating system on anything I expect to frequently use straight away after Mountain Lion and Vista didn't work how I wanted them to at first. I'll wait until iOS 6 has an untethered A5 jailbreak and then I'll upgrade.

Doubt you will be waiting long, the 5 has been jailbroken.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/21/iphone-5-jailbreak/

xxMATTGxx
22-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Seems Motorola have slammed iOS maps on Facebook with this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299418_10151221104420731_837394605_n.jpg

Chippiewill
22-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I thought iOS maps could do satellite view as well, hardly demonstrating better features.

Unless they're selling it to people already informed about the disaster that is the iOS maps.

xxMATTGxx
22-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I thought iOS maps could do satellite view as well, hardly demonstrating better features.

Unless they're selling it to people already informed about the disaster that is the iOS maps.

Probably to the informed where there is many mistakes and isn't very accurate compared to theirs. Plus if both screens are correct and isn't fake then it's showing that Google maps is showing what it really looks like where as iOS maps is incorrect.

HotelUser
23-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Seems Motorola have slammed iOS maps on Facebook with this:
-snip-

There's a lot of pros and a lot of cons as to why I would buy or not buy either one of those phones.

I wouldn't not buy either one because I didn't like the "default mapping software". That would be like me flat out refusing to use Windows because I don't like Internet Explorer, or not using OS X because I don't like quicktime. Practically every operating system I've ever used has come with atleast one stock application which made me think "why in gods name did they include this if its so awful," but usually there's alternatives so I just swiftly hit my delete key and hop onto the interwebs to check those alternatives out.

I suppose its expected that the competition to Apple, and the generic anti-apple heads will complain about how horrible iOS is because of one app. If Apple banned all other companies maps I would understand the negative hype, but since they haven't done that I don't see the huge problem.

Doubt you will be waiting long, the 5 has been jailbroken.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/21/iphone-5-jailbreak/

Looks very promising :)

I heard it can do lots of things like turn by turn navigation but if it's as bad as folks are saying I don't think I'll ditch google maps just yet.

xxMATTGxx
25-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Google Maps not coming to iPhone 5 anytime soon, Eric Schmidt says

The rift between Apple and Google over a map app grew wider Tuesday as Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said Apple device users shouldn't expect the company to offer them a Google Maps app anytime soon.

Apple dropped Google's app and replaced it with its own in the latest operating system, iOS 6, that it released last Wednesday. That meant the new iPhone 5 also did not include the Google Map. It had been a feature on the iPhone since the smartphone first launched in 2007.

The Apple Maps app offers new features to iPhone users, including 3-D maps, advanced live traffic updates and voice navigation, but it doesn't support directions for public transportation and its maps app doesn't appear to be as accurate as Google's in some areas.

"In my opinion it would have been better to retain our maps," he said, according to the Wall Street Journal. "It's their decision, I'll let them describe it."

There has been no word from Apple.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-schmidt-google-maps-ios-6-20120925,0,6407240.story

Chippiewill
25-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't not buy either one because I didn't like the "default mapping software".
In their defence though default software tends not to get worse.

I heard it can do lots of things like turn by turn navigation but if it's as bad as folks are saying I don't think I'll ditch google maps just yet.
If you want turn by turn navigation switch to android ;)

-

Google is in the interest of getting people to see their ads, google maps on iOS doesn't really achieve that and using the shocking quality of iOS maps to get people to move to Android is more beneficial to google right now.

Conspiracy.
25-09-2012, 09:21 PM
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh593/whereisthelove_x3/384089_369860703088640_376005050_n.jpg

xxMATTGxx
28-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Tim Cook:

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook

Apple’s CEO

HotelUser
28-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-schmidt-google-maps-ios-6-20120925,0,6407240.story

What's with the title of that article? Shouldn't it read iOS 6 instead of iPhone 5?

Anyway is that suggesting that Google is not willing to add a native app to iOS? Shame on Google, and even more reason to jailbreak for me.

In their defence though default software tends not to get worse.

If you want turn by turn navigation switch to android ;)

-

Google is in the interest of getting people to see their ads, google maps on iOS doesn't really achieve that and using the shocking quality of iOS maps to get people to move to Android is more beneficial to google right now.

The reason Apple switched mapping software is because Google never wanted to put turn by turn directions into the iOS version... I already have a GPS ready Android device and it great, but turn by turn isn't accurate on it (actually with Google Maps in general sometimes it thinks I'm driving ten meters beside the road which really messes up the turn by turn). Also neither Bing maps or Google maps have correct bus schedules for me either because when the transit company here changes their schedules Google and Microsoft do not update fast enough and because our buses don't have GPS trackers and because Microsoft and Google don't offer traffic information for my city so even if maps was reporting what time a bus is supposed to be here and that time was correct, traffic and the buses current position aren't taken into consideration and so faulty arrival and departure times are still given.

I don't know what ads you're talking about because I've never seen advertisements when using Google maps on my Android or iOS devices and the portable version of maps doesn't have ads either.

Chippiewill
28-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't know what ads you're talking about because I've never seen advertisements when using Google maps on my Android or iOS devices and the portable version of maps doesn't have ads either.The point being that if you're on iOS and use google maps you're not much more likely to use other (ad-supported) services provided by Google. Whereas if you're using iOS6 and you just recieved apple's turd of a mapping solution you're probably thinking "Well, I just got iOS6 and the mapping solution is not practical, my contract is nearly up and whilst an iPhone5 is nice the Galaxy S3 will have Google maps, I'll go for that instead. Suddenly they're in the google ecosystem with the following allowing for money making potetial:

- Google Default Search on home, browsers etc.
- Google Drive used for lots of file storage solutions
- Gmail main email app
- Google Calendar main calendar app meaning people may be tempted to access it via desktop browser
- Google+ default social network stuff, more people use it, more potential to monetise it
- Default google music app, music purchasable through play store music ownership proxy with google
- Google Maps and GPS learn your home location, google searches on DESKTOP more targetted to your location and therefore more targetted ads (I've had information about sports fixtures show up on my phone due to searches on desktop, no reason to assume the opposite doesn't happen).

Loads of google defaults, loads more statistical data to google, more targetted ads, more effective ads, more click-throughs per ad.

Google's business plan is people using the internet with their services, Android encourages this behaviour.

GommeInc
28-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Tim Cook:
Well that statement was pointless. Typical corporate dribble, stating "loads of people are using Maps" as if that's meant to suggest Maps is a success for Apple. Their Maps App needs a lot of work, and if Cook had any brains he would of held off releasing an unfinished product. You wouldn't see companies that actually practice "perfection" releasing a half-arsed product, bore their consumers with the details about how many people use it and not really apologise for the inconvenience when it goes wrong. They shouldn't of released that statement, proper PR would be acknowledging there is a problem and saying work is being done to make it better, and to not go on a self-righteous streak mid-"apology" as is the case here.

Jobs has been rolling around so much in his grave lately one can only assume there's now a trench in the cemetary he's buried in :/

EDIT: Google Now is amazing in the UK. It's shockingly accurate in most cities which have bus timetables available for phones (non-existent in villages and small towns). As for traffic information and turn-by-turn navigations, it's on par with my TomTom.

HotelUser
28-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Well that statement was pointless. Typical corporate dribble, stating "loads of people are using Maps" as if that's meant to suggest Maps is a success for Apple. Their Maps App needs a lot of work, and if Cook had any brains he would of held off releasing an unfinished product. You wouldn't see companies that actually practice "perfection" releasing a half-arsed product, bore their consumers with the details about how many people use it and not really apologise for the inconvenience when it goes wrong. They shouldn't of released that statement, proper PR would be acknowledging there is a problem and saying work is being done to make it better, and to not go on a self-righteous streak mid-"apology" as is the case here.

Jobs has been rolling around so much in his grave lately one can only assume there's now a trench in the cemetary he's buried in :/

EDIT: Google Now is amazing in the UK. It's shockingly accurate in most cities which have bus timetables available for phones (non-existent in villages and small towns). As for traffic information and turn-by-turn navigations, it's on par with my TomTom.

Apple high up admits his company made a mistake and you think it's a bad thing. Typical anti-Apple Gomme, I guess haters gonna hate ;)

The point being that if you're on iOS and use google maps you're not much more likely to use other (ad-supported) services provided by Google. Whereas if you're using iOS6 and you just recieved apple's turd of a mapping solution you're probably thinking "Well, I just got iOS6 and the mapping solution is not practical, my contract is nearly up and whilst an iPhone5 is nice the Galaxy S3 will have Google maps, I'll go for that instead. Suddenly they're in the google ecosystem with the following allowing for money making potetial:

- Google Default Search on home, browsers etc.
- Google Drive used for lots of file storage solutions
- Gmail main email app
- Google Calendar main calendar app meaning people may be tempted to access it via desktop browser
- Google+ default social network stuff, more people use it, more potential to monetise it
- Default google music app, music purchasable through play store music ownership proxy with google
- Google Maps and GPS learn your home location, google searches on DESKTOP more targetted to your location and therefore more targetted ads (I've had information about sports fixtures show up on my phone due to searches on desktop, no reason to assume the opposite doesn't happen).

Loads of google defaults, loads more statistical data to google, more targetted ads, more effective ads, more click-throughs per ad.

Google's business plan is people using the internet with their services, Android encourages this behaviour.

Ah I see what you mean by advertisements now.

Theres loads of positives about Android but there's also loads of pros about iOS too (hence that crazy amount of people who bought iPhone fives). The Galaxy lineup and the iDevice lineup are two excellent lines of hardware backed by great software but at the end of the day I just don't think a worse maps app on iOS is going to hurt Apple in a great way. Sure it looks bad on Apple but it's a minor infraction which will likely be fixed sooner or later and by the time the next new iPhone or iPad is pushed out Apple will probably set another record breaking sales record again. If Apple did something to cause more product performance inconsistencies then I would question their future more seriously (such as Palm or RIM) but a year from now I bet nobody is going to really care that there was one poor Apple app out of the countless functional ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GommeInc
28-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Apple high up admits his company made a mistake and you think it's a bad thing. Typical anti-Apple Gomme, I guess haters gonna hate ;)
You would notice that I said their apology seems half-arsed and non-existent. If anything it was self-praising that so many people use the App. An apology has to have some sort of feeling, and in this case they've done their usual apology protocol and that's praise themselves on a faulty product :P Saying you are "extremely sorry" then going on to praise how many people are using the App isn't an apology - it would of been if they said that they are committed to fixing any wrongs, but for now they seem to just be happy with themselves for disrupting their consumers by removing a relatively stable App and replacing with their faulty, half-finished App.

Wasn't it you who said a "forced apology isn't a genuine apology (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=754484)"? What makes this apology genuine? Because as far as the statement goes, it's not an apology - just an acknowledgement.

HotelUser
28-09-2012, 06:43 PM
You would notice that I said their apology seems half-arsed and non-existent. If anything it was self-praising that so many people use the App. An apology has to have some sort of feeling, and in this case they've done their usual apology protocol and that's praise themselves on a faulty product :P Saying you are "extremely sorry" then going on to praise how many people are using the App isn't an apology - it would of been if they said that they are committed to fixing any wrongs, but for now they seem to just be happy with themselves for disrupting their consumers by removing a relatively stable App and replacing with their faulty, half-finished App.

Wasn't it you who said a "forced apology isn't a genuine apology (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=754484)"? What makes this apology genuine? Because as far as the statement goes, it's not an apology - just an acknowledgement.

I think it's genuine enough because they didn't have to apologize, and because it's on behalf of a large group of individuals. I'm sure there are Apple employees themselves who aren't happy with the quality of maps. Apple could have just ignored the users completely and they still would have been perfectly fine, but they chose not to and chose to admit to a mistake they made.

When it comes down to brass tax in the end though I genuinely don't care about how awful maps is because as a consumer I just choose to use google maps (not going to bother upgrading until I can jailbreak and thus get gmaps natively) or when Google maps lets me down I'll just do what my grandparents did and look at bus schedules posted at bus terminals ;)

GommeInc
28-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I'll just do what my grandparents did and look at bus schedules posted at bus terminals ;)
Oh indeed that's a wise idea. I wouldn't believe everything Google Now/Maps says. Besides, once you follow what either says about bus times you could just get to the Bus Stop and read what it says about times :P

HotelUser
28-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Oh indeed that's a wise idea. I wouldn't believe everything Google Now/Maps says. Besides, once you follow what either says about bus times you could just get to the Bus Stop and read what it says about times :P

Nobody except the bus company is good at giving me right bus times, and even they compensate poorly for rush hour traffic!

GommeInc
28-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Nobody except the bus company is good at giving me right bus times, and even they compensate poorly for rush hour traffic!
It seems to be a habit with us Commonwealth/English speakers. Only mainland Europe and Asian countries really know how to work public transport effectively and timetable accordingly :P

One issue I can think of with Google Now and Google Maps is that it only takes into consideration bus stops that are nearby and nothing more. So for bus stops near me in Canterbury, it takes into account the two bus stops that go straight to the bus station which are on the same side of the road. It doesn't bother looking up the bus stop that goes in the opposite direction, about 25-50 metres away (outside it's range) which goes the opposite direction of the bus station. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm not in the mood to draw a diagram :P

^ Not sure if Google will ever fix that.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!