PDA

View Full Version : Hobby to job

David
21-09-2012, 02:23 PM
do you think it's a good idea to turn a hobby into a job, in my case - graphic design? I'm thinking I might grow bored and annoyed with it if i turn it into a chore of sorts. I do work for some people online but it's light work and not demanding so I can take my time really and enjoy it.
I did leave habbox though because it was repetitive and boring work :(

dont know.

Johnathan
21-09-2012, 02:30 PM
do you think it's a good idea to turn a hobby into a job, in my case - graphic design? I'm thinking I might grow bored and annoyed with it if i turn it into a chore of sorts. I do work for some people online but it's light work and not demanding so I can take my time really and enjoy it.
I did leave habbox though because it was repetitive and boring work :(

dont know.

I find it's just like anything really. I had an immense passion for cooking, loved every minute of it. Then I went and became a chef at a restaurant. Within weeks I lost not only my motivation for going to work, I lost my love for cooking all together.

I'm a strong believer that if you enjoy doing something as a hobby in your spare time it's a huge risk if you attempt to pursue a career. I'm now a full time graphic designer for an oil company here in Canada. Love every minute of it.

So really it's a toss up. It could go either way, love it or maybe it might turn the other way and destroy the love for it you have...

GoldenMerc
21-09-2012, 02:35 PM
If its something you enjoy, and can be creative upon the point where you think you can earn £700+ a month, do it :)

Tom
21-09-2012, 02:40 PM
If it's something you really want to do forever and don't think you're going to get bored of it, go for it. However, if you're not 95%+ certain you won't get bored, don't do it 'cause the chances are you will ;)

THIS A GOOD ENOUGH REPLY FOR YOU DAVE :/

Inseriousity.
21-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Maybe Habbox feels repetitive because the graphic requests are repetitive (banners, awards etc) whereas in a real life job you'd have more variety?

I love writing and always dreamed of being an author but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the love of a hobby if it started getting too stressful, repetitive etc. It might be easier to just be something you do in your spare time and happen to pick up a bit of extra money along the way (light work like you're doing now) unless it grows into something that's more rewarding. I think most people who do their hobby as a full-time job just accidently walks into it rather than focusing on it if that makes sense.

Richie
21-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I think sometimes a hobby is best left a hobby. I love radio presenting but I don't think I'd try turn it into anything more than a hobby (not that i could :P) just because I'd get bored of it.

Samantha
21-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I think it depends what kind of hobby it is, as Mike said it could be good as a little extra money and if it's something that is needed in the world (where I believe graphic design is), then I'd say go for it. Don't forget that if you have some experience in other ways that you could always go back on your decision and remember if you sell designs or something isn't that experience for having a business plan etc. Would help in other vocations such as retail :).

JerseySafety
22-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Depends on the hobby for sure, I wouldn't call graphic design a hobby really. But if you're good at it and do it a lot then I suppose it is.

It wouldn't hurt to just try out graphic design as a job, a lot of people need graphics designers for everything really. Good experience and if you don't like it, you can find another career path.

Futz
22-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I remember I really enjoyed drawing and painting when I was a kid then I took it as a subject at school and it ruined it for me

David
22-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :P dont think i'll be doing it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!