PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Degree

Rozi
25-09-2012, 02:39 PM
hiyaaaa,

basically I'm thinking of doing a nursing degree and wanted to know if anyone had any experience of nursing or the degree its self.

Also if anyone could explain to me the NHS bursary system; if they pay your tuition fees is there a set time you have to work for the NHS?

Shar
28-09-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't think there's a set time. Bursary is either income assessed or not (means tested/non means tested).

Your application will be tens time better and stronger if you have work experience in a caring field and you show transferable skillsaskills maturity and that you've researched and read around the field such as the role of an adult/child nurse (whichever one you choose to apply for) and the nhs itself such as nhs reforms etc and organisations like NICE and rcn and the NMC which you join when you graduate and become a registered nurse.

It's a pretty full on degree from what I've heard as you have a lot of placement hours and little holiday time but it's also enjoyable and rewarding.

Sian
30-09-2012, 07:51 AM
my two ex-housemates who did midwifery (same premise with the bursary etc) didn't have to work for the NHS once they'd finished, but the NHS will try and get you your first job.

FlyingJesus
30-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Pretty sure you won't "have" to do work/work experience with the NHS for it, but be aware that it is an extremely good idea to do so, as coming out of a degree with that experience will set you well ahead of those who don't - or more accurately (since I believe the majority do go for it) not doing so will set you back quite a long way. Work experience is arguably even more important than the outcome of the degree these days unless you get an absolute full marks first honours

Bursaries are what the government gives you from the SLC, paying tuition fees would be a scholarship and the availability is probably very limited and dependant on where you study

Shar
30-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Pretty sure you won't "have" to do work/work experience with the NHS for it, but be aware that it is an extremely good idea to do so, as coming out of a degree with that experience will set you well ahead of those who don't - or more accurately (since I believe the majority do go for it) not doing so will set you back quite a long way. Work experience is arguably even more important than the outcome of the degree these days unless you get an absolute full marks first honours

Bursaries are what the government gives you from the SLC, paying tuition fees would be a scholarship and the availability is probably very limited and dependant on where you study
Tuition fees for nursing is paid fully by the NHS I believe.

A good thing about doing nursing is if you do well in all your exams and in your community of practice you have a high chance of being employed by your community of practice (the hospital you're at) straight away (after an interview ofc)

Catchy
01-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Basically you do 50% on placement and 50% study, well that's for midwifery anyway so I'm guessing Nursing would be similar if not the same.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!