PDA

View Full Version : Books The Casual Vacancy

lawrawrrr
27-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I JUST BOUGHT MY COPY I AM SO EXCITED TO READ IT!!

For anyone who doesn't know (where have you been living for the last 6 months) it's JK Rowling's new book - the first one she's written for adults. The plot looks really good! Went on sale this morning, got mine first thing!

Anyone else reading it? Want to read it?

Kardan
27-09-2012, 01:52 PM
The reviews look fairly good, apparently it's a *real* adult book, numerous uses of the C word, death, self-harm etc.

Unsure whether or not to buy it, I probably will when my student loan goes in...

lawrawrrr
27-09-2012, 01:55 PM
The reviews look fairly good, apparently it's a *real* adult book, numerous uses of the C word, death, self-harm etc.

Unsure whether or not to buy it, I probably will when my student loan goes in...

flicking through i've seen quite a few of the W word. It's something different to HP, but still got a great writing style!

Inseriousity.
28-09-2012, 01:15 PM
I've bought it today. Out of all the genres she could've done, she chose one I like, hooray. I've seen a few quotes here and there though. I don't mind vulgarity but it has to have a context otherwise it's just crude. There have been a few vulgar lines quoted in articles about the book where I've thought 'Really?' and I did happen to come across one of them while reading and it's in the context of a teenage boy who don't often romanticise sex so I can go with that. If it's like that, I don't mind as long as it's not just some attempt to appear more "adult"

lawrawrrr
28-09-2012, 01:19 PM
i've read like 4 chapters I AM IN LOVE

Absently
28-09-2012, 01:29 PM
i'll probably end up buying it mainly out of curiosity and because the book i'm reading at the moment is a drag

:odey:
28-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Got the ebook today,
Very excited to start reading it after seeing mixed reviews...

karter
28-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I have bought it. Read a few chapters and honestly I find this better than harry potter. wasn't a fan of it anyway. People criticise because they think nothing matches harry potter. So just forget that rowling wrote harry potter and read this book. It won't be 'boring' or 'dull' as said by people.

sammy
28-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Bought it yesterday and started it last night, enjoying it so far!

:odey:
28-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Just read to III,
I'm pretty much hooked.. But I'm not 100% understanding what's going on just yet...

Foregetfuhl
01-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Bought it Saturday trying to pry myself away from reading it till tomorrow so I have something to do!

Inseriousity.
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Finished it yesterday. I enjoyed it and wanted to know how it ends but it's not like Harry Potter with its re-readable quality. Everything is just so grim and depressing

Sho
05-11-2012, 04:29 PM
The reviews are so mixed, but I am really looking forward to reading it. My Mam's getting me it for Christmas since I loved the Potter series. Can't wait!!

Sloths
11-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I really really want to read it but books are so expensive here, might invest on my travels

MizzBex
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm undecided as to whether i'm going to buy it or not.. there's so many different reviews and opinions

Sho
10-01-2013, 02:15 AM
I got this for Christmas but haven't started reading it yet, I've been told that the characters aren't very realistic compared to the Potter series, we'll see.

Inseriousity.
10-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I'd say they were realistic, people like them do exist. theyre just not very likeable so it can feel a bit of a chore to get through when you havent got a favourite character to cheer on lol

Sho
11-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Fair enough, I hope it's worth it though, been looking forward for so long to read this :(

LiquidLuck.
22-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I got offered this book for my birthday! My mother took it away from me to read it herself so I didn't get the chance to yet..
I can't wait to read it omg so excited! :3

Kardan
22-01-2013, 02:59 PM
I got this at Christmas and I've been reading this at a very slow pace since I don't have too much free time due to exams. I think it's great, and I would recommend it. I must say I was shocked by JK's graphic detail, but this is no Harry Potter :P Can't wait to finish this...

Kardan
10-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Finally got round to finishing it, and I thought it was a great book :)

Spoilers just incase you haven't finished it...

I was surprised that there wasn't more focus on the election results, as the book built up towards it for so long, and I would have preferred if the book carried on for longer at the end, there were many things left unexplored. I also had a flash of inspiration that Fats' biological mother gave him away when she was 14, and refused to say who the father was, and Terri had two children taken away from her and she didn't know who the father was. And with the whole incest theme around Fats, that would fit nicely considering Fats and Krystal were getting it on. Of course, I then realised that Terri can't be the mother, because then Fats and Krystal wouldn't be in the same school year :P

I'd like to see some sort of sequel, and I'm looking forward to the BBC production of it next year :)

Inseriousity.
10-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Finally got round to finishing it, and I thought it was a great book :)

Spoilers just incase you haven't finished it...

I was surprised that there wasn't more focus on the election results, as the book built up towards it for so long, and I would have preferred if the book carried on for longer at the end, there were many things left unexplored. I also had a flash of inspiration that Fats' biological mother gave him away when she was 14, and refused to say who the father was, and Terri had two children taken away from her and she didn't know who the father was. And with the whole incest theme around Fats, that would fit nicely considering Fats and Krystal were getting it on. Of course, I then realised that Terri can't be the mother, because then Fats and Krystal wouldn't be in the same school year :P

I'd like to see some sort of sequel, and I'm looking forward to the BBC production of it next year :)

I'd have liked to see the results too but I think a big part of the book was that their obsession with politics was blinding them to human struggles so it could fit into that even if it does feel a bit unfinished lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!