PDA

View Full Version : one direction respond to 'ripping off' claims

Jurv
29-09-2012, 03:08 PM
One Direction have responded to claims that they ripped off The Clash on their new single 'Live While We're Young'.

Earlier this week, angry Twitter users vented their fury at the boyband and accused them of copying the opening bars of the legendary punk band's classic track 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go'.

Writing on the social networking site, @joe_ridley said: "One direction stealing the start to 'should I stay or should I go – the clash' little *****!" while @Guywoodgate1989 fumed: "I hope One Direction are paying royalties to The Clash for that crap rip off of Should I Stay Or Go opening riff."

Now, their displeasure is unlikely to be placated by One Direction member Harry Styles, who seemingly admitted during an interview with BBC Newsbeat that the similarity between the two songs was intentional.

Speaking about the likeness between the tracks, he said: It was kind of on purpose though. It's a great riff, so…
Meanwhile, his bandmate Louis Tomlinson said that it was inevitable that songwriters would pen tracks which sounded similar to older efforts, claiming: "I assume it must be quite difficult to do a unique riff now because there have been so many songs - surely there's only so many riffs you can pull out?"

One Direction were forced to release the video for 'Live While We're Young' early after it was leaked online. The band, who were recently reported to have made £100 million between themselves in the last two years, release their second album 'Take Me Home' on November 12. To compare their new single to The Clash's classic track, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPED9bisSc&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXLHtg2Btk&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPED9bisSc&feature=player_embedded)

quite an interesting read. i thought the open melody sounded similar to something else, couldn't think of what it was though. but yeah, what are your thoughts? do you think it was intentional, and should it be allowed?

lawrawrrr
29-09-2012, 03:20 PM
i thought this from when i first heard the song!! but yeah i agree with what louis said - there's so many songs there's no way each of them can be COMPLETELY unique. it's not like the rest of the song is the same so i think its ok

Richie
29-09-2012, 04:05 PM
In fairness those on twitter who were supposedly furious because they stole a riff in the song aren't mad because that. Most of them are the same users who would jump on the 'WE HATE 1D BECAUSE THEY GET MORE ***** THAN US' boat if they had the chance. People hating on artists over stupid things, pure jealousy. I admit the start of the song does sound similar just sped up a bit but people expect them to pay royalties for a riff that lasts a few seconds? jog on. I don't float on that boat and I'm not a huge fan but seriously some people need to get a grip, you should hear some of the comments getting hurdled at artists like these and Justin Bieber its bloody disgraceful, some people need a few minutes to step back to reality because they've obviously lost that to the internet.

/Rant

Teabags
29-09-2012, 10:54 PM
why hasn't anyone had a go at avril lavigne for her ripping of Pink Floyd song names?
(I know the songs sound really different, but she has about 3-4 titles the same).

Why is it such a big deal? It's just such iconic bands and tag lines being used. Everyone loves Niggaz in Paris with Blades of Glory ref. (bit different I know, but there is some shared principle in there).

LiquidLuck.
30-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Teabags; first Avril Lavigne, like 9/10 years ago when she firstly became famous and was getting big, was way better than how are One Direction now. Even yesterday, me and my friends were watching a music channel and one of her songs came on and we just start singing it like during how childhood. With One Direction we're just fed up with their songs..

About One Direction haters, if you don't like them don't listen to them, but why come up with dumb things to say and excuses like ''all their songs sound the same''? Almost ALL songs sound the same in our days. If you dislike it, then listen to Queen or Aerosmith or whatever.

Sharon
30-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Doesn't bother me at all, they're still hot and they're going to continue to make millions regardless of a bunch of ignorant idiots online finding fault with every single little thing they do purely because they'd give absolutely anything to be in their position. These 5 guys could can buy anything they want right now and have anyone they want too. People who hate most probably just want to be them.

Kardan
30-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I think it's ridiculous that people are saying it's okay because there are only so many sounds in the world...

I don't see Rihanna or Lady GaGa copying the opening of songs.

Recall Diana Vickers, another X-factor contestant, copying the main riff of Under the Bridge by RHCP, she got absolutely slated - this is pretty much the same thing.

What makes me even more annoyed are all the 13 year old girls responding to The Clash's video on YouTube saying 'How the hell does this sound like the One Direction song?' - Are they deaf? It's identical.

Teabags
30-09-2012, 11:25 AM
@Teabags (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=57886); first Avril Lavigne, like 9/10 years ago when she firstly became famous and was getting big, was way better than how are One Direction now. Even yesterday, me and my friends were watching a music channel and one of her songs came on and we just start singing it like during how childhood. With One Direction we're just fed up with their songs..

About One Direction haters, if you don't like them don't listen to them, but why come up with dumb things to say and excuses like ''all their songs sound the same''? Almost ALL songs sound the same in our days. If you dislike it, then listen to Queen or Aerosmith or whatever.
It doesn't matter that you like/ prefer her songs, it's about the fact she still copied numerous song titles?
(even though she is better).

LiquidLuck.
30-09-2012, 11:42 AM
It doesn't matter that you like/ prefer her songs, it's about the fact she still copied numerous song titles?
(even though she is better).

Numerous song titles? The only one I could think of was ''Wish you were here'' and I even googled it and that's the only one I can find. Also if you're saying Avril copied Pink Floyd's song title, then so did the Bee Gees, because they used the same title for one of their songs.. Now what I want to ask if, did anyone ever accused the Bee Gees of doing such a thing? I doubt it.

samsaBEAR
30-09-2012, 11:47 AM
why hasn't anyone had a go at avril lavigne for her ripping of Pink Floyd song names?
(I know the songs sound really different, but she has about 3-4 titles the same).

Why is it such a big deal? It's just such iconic bands and tag lines being used. Everyone loves Niggaz in Paris with Blades of Glory ref. (bit different I know, but there is some shared principle in there).

'Ripping off' song names is such a stupid accusation to make against someone. Heaven forbid someone names a song the same as someone else, guess all those artists with 'Introduction' as the first song on their albums better be prepared for some suing!

The riff sounds the same yes, but it's not ripping The Clash off. Ripping them off would be to completely steal the whole song, change the lyrics blah blah, even then I'm sure The Clash would get a pretty penny and would all be legally settled, so it would only be ripping off to all The Clash fans. Artists get sampled and riffs get borrowed, it's the way it's been in music for a long time. I'm not trying to defend One Direction, I hate the ******s, but let's all be realistic here.

Teabags
30-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Numerous song titles? The only one I could think of was ''Wish you were here'' and I even googled it and that's the only one I can find. Also if you're saying Avril copied Pink Floyd's song title, then so did the Bee Gees, because they used the same title for one of their songs.. Now what I want to ask if, did anyone ever accused the Bee Gees of doing such a thing? I doubt it.

'Ripping off' song names is such a stupid accusation to make against someone. Heaven forbid someone names a song the same as someone else, guess all those artists with 'Introduction' as the first song on their albums better be prepared for some suing!

Nobody home? That's another off the top of my head.
I don't really have a problem but I only question because it's more than one song - so I doubt it was coincidence, rather than influenced by Pink Floyd.

And looking at her track record, it wouldn't be the first time she's been accused of taking others ideas. http://www.hecklerspray.com/now-avril-lavigne-rips-off-peaches/20079151.php

and "get over it" is a title by OK GO...

There is some logic as to why I think she takes song titles.

Charz777
30-09-2012, 05:53 PM
It is identical, so anyone denying it clearly can't accept that their 'beloved-band-of-boys-they-want-to-date' can't come up with their own ideas and have to copy good music to make themselves 'good.'

And anyone saysing, 'It's fine because they're hot,' we'll being a 'pretty-boy' doesn't make good music, but at least you're admitting what they're doing.

It's wrong. That's like me coming out, copying the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody, sticking some teenage love song rubbish over it, selling millions, making millions and thinking it's a job well done!? It's unacceptable!

If they have to copy bands that made it in ways they never will, they can't be that good, can they? I'll accept they have talent when they can make a hit as big as a band like The Beatles or something off their own backs without copying!

Judas
30-09-2012, 05:58 PM
People are really getting at the band members themselves for this? What's the point? It's not like they know the first thing about writing their own music anyway, blame the producers if you really think this is anything worth debating.

lawrawrrr
30-09-2012, 06:01 PM
It is identical, so anyone denying it clearly can't accept that their 'beloved-band-of-boys-they-want-to-date' can't come up with their own ideas and have to copy good music to make themselves 'good.'

And anyone saysing, 'It's fine because they're hot,' we'll being a 'pretty-boy' doesn't make good music, but at least you're admitting what they're doing.

It's wrong. That's like me coming out, copying the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody, sticking some teenage love song rubbish over it, selling millions, making millions and thinking it's a job well done!? It's unacceptable!

If they have to copy bands that made it in ways they never will, they can't be that good, can they? I'll accept they have talent when they can make a hit as big as a band like The Beatles or something off their own backs without copying!

That's exactly what tons of people in the entertainment industry do. If you use a POPULAR culture reference, your work immediately has recognition as it has the stigma attatched to the original work. For example, movie references in other movies, song references, etcetc. Lots of people do it, yes it's more noticeable when such a famous and popular band do it. It's only one tiny bit of the song, not the whole thing!!

LiquidLuck.
30-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Nobody home? That's another off the top of my head.
I don't really have a problem but I only question because it's more than one song - so I doubt it was coincidence, rather than influenced by Pink Floyd.

And looking at her track record, it wouldn't be the first time she's been accused of taking others ideas. http://www.hecklerspray.com/now-avril-lavigne-rips-off-peaches/20079151.php

and "get over it" is a title by OK GO...

There is some logic as to why I think she takes song titles.

Not wanting to sound picky or whatever, but Avril's is actually ''Nobody's Home'' and not ''Nobody Home'', so there is a slight difference in the title.. And what is it was influence? That's a good thing for Pink Floyd. Even famous singers want to be like them. It's great.
About the link you sent, I actually listened to the little video and wow, it's totally the same song. I guess she did mess up there.

Charz777
30-09-2012, 06:53 PM
That's exactly what tons of people in the entertainment industry do. If you use a POPULAR culture reference, your work immediately has recognition as it has the stigma attatched to the original work. For example, movie references in other movies, song references, etcetc. Lots of people do it, yes it's more noticeable when such a famous and popular band do it. It's only one tiny bit of the song, not the whole thing!!

This is all when and good when it's done properly, like a cover version of a song. EG: Tainted Love was originally recorded by Gloria Jones, covered by Soft Cell and covered again by Marilyn Manson. But that was done properly and credit is given to the orginal recording artist and writer of the song. That way you're giving credit to whoever owns the song but also you're putting in your own work, your own spin on the song to make it individual.

Trying to copy the tune of a song and passing it off as your own work is complete ****. Like said above, Diana Vickers was slated for saying Wicked Heart was her own tune when she admitted to listening to RHCP when writing the song. It was clear she copied the tune outright. This is exactly what One Direction have done. It's only been made worse by people trying to deny that they copied music better than their own to try to make a hit.

They can't take credit or work that isn't originally theirs. That would be like the late Whitney Houston claiming to write I will Always Love You.

Kardan
30-09-2012, 07:24 PM
You can compare One Direction using the riff to Madonna using ABBA's riff in Hung Up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9jOVRtU

Madonna asked for permission from ABBA and then credited them, that's the proper way to go about things really.

I'm not a One Direction fan, so I wouldn't know, but do they even write their own music? If not, it's the producers of the song that we're having a go at, not One Direction, they just stand there and sing what's given to them (if that's the case...)

lawrawrrr
30-09-2012, 07:34 PM
This is all when and good when it's done properly, like a cover version of a song. EG: Tainted Love was originally recorded by Gloria Jones, covered by Soft Cell and covered again by Marilyn Manson. But that was done properly and credit is given to the orginal recording artist and writer of the song. That way you're giving credit to whoever owns the song but also you're putting in your own work, your own spin on the song to make it individual.

Trying to copy the tune of a song and passing it off as your own work is complete ****. Like said above, Diana Vickers was slated for saying Wicked Heart was her own tune when she admitted to listening to RHCP when writing the song. It was clear she copied the tune outright. This is exactly what One Direction have done. It's only been made worse by people trying to deny that they copied music better than their own to try to make a hit.

They can't take credit or work that isn't originally theirs. That would be like the late Whitney Houston claiming to write I will Always Love You.

Have they denied it though? I distinctly remember watching one of them say 'yes we realized the resemblance'. I agree it's out of order to claim they didn't know the song, then again, don't hate on 1D for it when they didn't write it...

I'm not even a 1D fan I just hate it when people criticise the big artists (gaga, bieber, 1d) for things that they haven't done, just cos it's cool to pick on them.

Charz777
30-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Have they denied it though? I distinctly remember watching one of them say 'yes we realized the resemblance'. I agree it's out of order to claim they didn't know the song, then again, don't hate on 1D for it when they didn't write it...

I'm not even a 1D fan I just hate it when people criticise the big artists (gaga, bieber, 1d) for things that they haven't done, just cos it's cool to pick on them.

Since when was it 'cool' to pick on someone :P

I haven't got anything against Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber etc

Sure, One Direction isn't a band I like but as a singer neither is Rihanna but she's done nothing wrong. If she had I'd 'pick on' her, but she's not. One Direction have done wrong and I'm discussing my opinion on the matter. It's nothing to do with criticising big names. If it was I'd go on about how I don't like their style of music, which I haven't once. It's not about the opinion of the band or their music, it's about their decision to copy music to make a hit and not do their own.

lawrawrrr
30-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Since when was it 'cool' to pick on someone :P

I haven't got anything against Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber etc

Sure, One Direction isn't a band I like but as a singer neither is Rihanna but she's done nothing wrong. If she had I'd 'pick on' her, but she's not. One Direction have done wrong and I'm discussing my opinion on the matter. It's nothing to do with criticising big names. If it was I'd go on about how I don't like their style of music, which I haven't once. It's not about the opinion of the band or their music, it's about their decision to copy music to make a hit and not do their own.

since it was cool to fangirl embarassingly over them?

Rihanna pretty much plagarises as much as the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFFZlwH738&feature=channel_video_title

and er (i dont listen to her songs but give this a read)

Farewell sounds too much like beyonce's haloBirthday cake has Videophone/ bad romance writen all over it
Where have you been' sounds like it was lifted from benny bennasi's Satisfaction
Cocklness sounds like 'Diva' by beyonce
We found love' copies Too much by kylie minogue
California king bed copies Big girls don't cry by fergie

But everyone does it. Too much music these days, things are GOING to sound the same. And?

Charz777
30-09-2012, 08:47 PM
since it was cool to fangirl embarassingly over them?

Rihanna pretty much plagarises as much as the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFFZlwH738&feature=channel_video_title

and er (i dont listen to her songs but give this a read)

But everyone does it. Too much music these days, things are GOING to sound the same. And?

Just because more people are doing it now than before, it doesn't make it acceptable.

There are still a lot of artists out there that can make it without copying others.

lawrawrrr
30-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Just because more people are doing it now than before, it doesn't make it acceptable.

There are still a lot of artists out there that can make it without copying others.

i never said it was, i just said it's inevitable. there's a only a certain number of decent sounding chord progressions, could claim that every band copies that? It's not like they copied the whole song, it was one cute, popular riff.

Charz777
01-10-2012, 10:30 AM
i never said it was, i just said it's inevitable. there's a only a certain number of decent sounding chord progressions, could claim that every band copies that? It's not like they copied the whole song, it was one cute, popular riff.

There are enough chord progressions for the intro to a song not to be copied exactly...

There may only be a 'certain number' of them but that certain number is a hell of a lot.

lawrawrrr
01-10-2012, 11:34 AM
There are enough chord progressions for the intro to a song not to be copied exactly...

There may only be a 'certain number' of them but that certain number is a hell of a lot.

yes but riffs are a specific part of composing - they have to be short, catchy rhythms, which is difficult to compose completely new ones. It's not used in the same way as the original, not even a similar song other than that 1 little riff!!

Kardan
01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
yes but riffs are a specific part of composing - they have to be short, catchy rhythms, which is difficult to compose completely new ones. It's not used in the same way as the original, not even a similar song other than that 1 little riff!!

I present to you the case of Leona Lewis and her song Collide, she copied the riff of Avicii's Penguin, she didn't give him credit orginally and it was going to court before they both agreed to be credited.

The fact that you are saying there are only a limited number of rhythms in the world is pretty ridiculous, surely that's suggesting that there will be no original songs ever again? I mean, surely if they only copied the opening riff, they created the rest of the song orginally? Why couldn't they do that for the opening too?

Circadia
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
You can compare One Direction using the riff to Madonna using ABBA's riff in Hung Up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9jOVRtU

Madonna asked for permission from ABBA and then credited them, that's the proper way to go about things really.

I'm not a One Direction fan, so I wouldn't know, but do they even write their own music? If not, it's the producers of the song that we're having a go at, not One Direction, they just stand there and sing what's given to them (if that's the case...)

They do co write some of their music, I think 4/5 out of the 15 on the extended album of Up All Night was co written by them

I don't think they wrote LWWY but as soon as the album comes out it will say it on the booklet that you get with it, cause unlike some people they are actually truthful about what they have and haven't written and their names are only under 4/5 of them on the slipout the rest is credited to others. (don't say I'm wrong cause no boybands or whatever are truthful cause i swear to god I will punch you)

Anyway yeah I noticed the resemblance I'm surprised the media didn't really say anything about WMYB since that had the same start as Summer Nights (Grease). No its not acceptable for anyone to take peoples music and use it as their own but it happens. You can't stop it... the thing is though it annoys me the fact that because 1D are big and a high proportion of people who listen to music dislike them they get masses of hate for it. Yet some people for other artists i like oh yeah its fine everyone does it.

(The majority of their fans only like them for their looks yes, but they are alright singers, if you listen to Harry & Liams xfactor audition you'd probably say they were too.)

Kardan
01-10-2012, 06:03 PM
They do co write some of their music, I think 4/5 out of the 15 on the extended album of Up All Night was co written by them

I don't think they wrote LWWY but as soon as the album comes out it will say it on the booklet that you get with it, cause unlike some people they are actually truthful about what they have and haven't written and their names are only under 4/5 of them on the slipout the rest is credited to others. (don't say I'm wrong cause no boybands or whatever are truthful cause i swear to god I will punch you)

Anyway yeah I noticed the resemblance I'm surprised the media didn't really say anything about WMYB since that had the same start as Summer Nights (Grease). No its not acceptable for anyone to take peoples music and use it as their own but it happens. You can't stop it... the thing is though it annoys me the fact that because 1D are big and a high proportion of people who listen to music dislike them they get masses of hate for it. Yet some people for other artists i like oh yeah its fine everyone does it.

(The majority of their fans only like them for their looks yes, but they are alright singers, if you listen to Harry & Liams xfactor audition you'd probably say they were too.)

I knew about WMYB sounding like Summer Nights as well, and I'll admit One Direction are not my type of music, and as people I don't find them very entertaining either - but I don't hate them because of it. What makes me feel negative towards them is the fan base really, most of the fans are just completely ignorant about things, including things like these. They're posting all overThe Clash's videos, and the large majority weren't even born when they were around.

Circadia
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I knew about WMYB sounding like Summer Nights as well, and I'll admit One Direction are not my type of music, and as people I don't find them very entertaining either - but I don't hate them because of it. What makes me feel negative towards them is the fan base really, most of the fans are just completely ignorant about things, including things like these. They're posting all overThe Clash's videos, and the large majority weren't even born when they were around.

I don't think i'm the sort of fan is ignorant to the fact they take some people stuff, I hope i'm not anyway xD But yeah I do agree the majority of the fanbase are annoying as ****, sending hate to girlfriends, people who come in within a 5 metre radius of them and obviously the clash video thing. They need to calm down cause people are going to dislike 1D cause of them annnnnnnnnnd because they don't like their music :L

lawrawrrr
01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I present to you the case of Leona Lewis and her song Collide, she copied the riff of Avicii's Penguin, she didn't give him credit orginally and it was going to court before they both agreed to be credited.

The fact that you are saying there are only a limited number of rhythms in the world is pretty ridiculous, surely that's suggesting that there will be no original songs ever again? I mean, surely if they only copied the opening riff, they created the rest of the song orginally? Why couldn't they do that for the opening too?

Why you're providing an example is beyond me, I've admitted many times that artists (and authors, writers, painters) ALL rip off each others work, it's called being influenced.

There are only limited numbers of songs yes, and catchy riffs such as the one in this song would have been written even if the other song never existed. They have admitted it, which must mean they have some sort of agreement with the original songwriter, or they'd be in court right now.

Kardan
01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't think i'm the sort of fan is ignorant to the fact they take some people stuff, I hope i'm not anyway xD But yeah I do agree the majority of the fanbase are annoying as ****, sending hate to girlfriends, people who come in within a 5 metre radius of them and obviously the clash video thing. They need to calm down cause people are going to dislike 1D cause of them annnnnnnnnnd because they don't like their music :L

:) I'm glad not all One Direction fans are the same, but it is ridiculous how some of them act, looks like there will have to be a advice line opened when they split up, just like it was with Take That.

Circadia
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
:) I'm glad not all One Direction fans are the same, but it is ridiculous how some of them act, looks like there will have to be a advice line opened when they split up, just like it was with Take That.

aha oh god! Or they'll just flock to twitter/tumblr and cry

Kardan
01-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Why you're providing an example is beyond me, I've admitted many times that artists (and authors, writers, painters) ALL rip off each others work, it's called being influenced.

There are only limited numbers of songs yes, and catchy riffs such as the one in this song would have been written even if the other song never existed. They have admitted it, which must mean they have some sort of agreement with the original songwriter, or they'd be in court right now.

It's not being called influenced. For example, Marina and the Diamonds has stated the following artists as her influences:

Daniel Johnston, Blondie, Kylie Minogue, The Distillers, Patti Smith, Tom Waits, Garbage, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Britney Spears, Yann Tiersen, Elliott Smith, Dolly Parton, and Madonna

Marina hasn't copied a tune or riff from any of those artists. And no, this riff would not have been written by One Direction if The Clash hadn't have done it. The only reason One Direction have this riff in this song is because it was created by The Clash. And have they got permission? Well, if they did, surely they would have said so after all the accusations.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!