View Full Version : Smartphone and plan - how to choose

Catchetat
29-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Long story short - I don't know much about smartphones.

I hope to get my first smartphone next year but I don't really know where to start. As salesperson will probably give some biased advice I thought I should start here.

The main reason I'm looking to get one is simply because of the apps and being able to check my emails. I'm not fussed about minutes at all. What are the things to look out for when purchasing one? Any recommendations? What website should I go to to start my research?

I've also looked at some deals online with "free phone" and they list out (e.g. 100 mins, Unlimited texts, 750MB data) sorry to sound foolish but is that per month/day?

Cheers.

GommeInc
29-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Data limits is definitely something you should look into. The plan you've come across is pretty decent, 500+MB data is all you really need, and that would be monthly :)

What do you wish for in a phone other than Apps? Such as a decent camera, special features etc etc?

Catchetat
29-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I should have mentioned about features but basically... Movies - nah. mp3/games - not so much. Digital cameras - yes but not fussed about megapixels. I'm really looking for good value phones (tending towards androids because it is google?) .. specs don't matter too much to me.

If I do buy an Android will the OS (and apps) update itself?

I was wondering about 3/4G and Wifi though. Because the apps I'll be using will probably need to the internet, will I also need to look into network coverage? And is Wifi free?

Thanks!

Niall!
29-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Assuming you're in England, carphone warehouse are doing a Samsung Galaxy Ace for £7.50 a month, 250 mins, 5000 texts and 500mb data. It's an android phone and does everything you're asking for.

Rixion
29-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I got mine at the Carphone Warehouse, they usually have good deals there:)

GommeInc
30-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Not sure if anyone has answered these questions but here you go:

If I do buy an Android will the OS (and apps) update itself?
Depends how you configure the phone. By default the phone will just tell you an App needs updating when you open Google Play or it will tell you in the notification bar. Most Android phones you can buy at the moment allow the option to auto-update :) The phone will tell you if an OS update is available and ask you to connect to a wireless network.

I was wondering about 3/4G and Wifi though. Because the apps I'll be using will probably need to the internet, will I also need to look into network coverage? And is Wifi free?
Network coverage isn't much of a problem these days and WiFi is free :)

Thanks!

The phone Niall! has mentioned is a pretty decent phone for what you're asking for. It's advertised a lot at the moment.

Catchetat
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't make a lot of calls, send very little text and probably just want to use my phone for encyclopaedia apps and to check my email.

As I don't use a lot of talk time, I probably could do with a PAYGO. What do ppl reckon?

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/SAMSUNG_GALAXY_ACE_O2PYG_WEB10

Samsung Galaxy Ace on O2 Text and Web Pay As You Go - it lists the price as 95 pounds and that a 10 pd top-up gets me 300 text, 500MB internet, unlimited Wi-Fi. Is that a month offer and thereafter, I pay the price of what I use?

I am using a lebara PAYGO simcard. if I buy that samsung phone, will I be able to access free Wifi and still be using my lebara tariff?

mrwoooooooo
05-10-2012, 04:59 PM
hope you're aware free wi-fi doesnt mean it will work everywhere you go

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!