PDA

View Full Version : 4G Plans,

iBlueBox
03-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Planning on getting the iPhone 5 on my birthday, October 19th

Was wondering when T-Mobile / Orange will release there plans for 4G?

As I was thinking of getting the Full Monty plan on T-mobile,
£36 a month, 2000 mins, unlimited texts, unlimited internet.

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 12:02 PM
4g euuuuuuugh why bother adding another number when 3g doesnt even work to it's full potential?

anyway today i got upgraded to EE on orange, it's actually soooo fast, i wasn't expecting it to be that different!!

but yeah companies aren't launching proper plans for 4g until AT LEAST 2013, so quite a while to wait for that.

iBlueBox
03-10-2012, 12:23 PM
4g euuuuuuugh why bother adding another number when 3g doesnt even work to it's full potential?

anyway today i got upgraded to EE on orange, it's actually soooo fast, i wasn't expecting it to be that different!!

but yeah companies aren't launching proper plans for 4g until AT LEAST 2013, so quite a while to wait for that.

Actually, EE is the 4G network Orange & T-Mobile Use, All phones on that network no matter what now says EE but its exactly same speed as previous.

4G Launches on 30th October on EE.

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Actually, EE is the 4G network Orange & T-Mobile Use, All phones on that network no matter what now says EE but its exactly same speed as previous.

So you pretty much answered your own question. The cost of plans will be out any time from now up to the 30th October for EE.

Details of the first coverage that they will launch this year: http://ee.co.uk/coverage

iBlueBox
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
So you pretty much answered your own question. The cost of plans will be out any time from now up to the 30th October for EE.

Details of the first coverage that they will launch this year: http://ee.co.uk/coverage

I'm wondering more of the date they will announce the plans :P but nothing specifics been said yes.

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM

I thought EE was the predecessor for 4g, like a testing inbetween shift

if you knew the answer why did you ask :p

oh, and it is quicker. much quicker. and better signal here.

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 12:46 PM

EE is the new name for T-Mobile and Orange and you will see those brands disappear over the years to come and it will just be EE. Although it is the only 4G network in the UK at the moment so you are on the right track.

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
EE is the new name for T-Mobile and Orange and you will see those brands disappear over the years to come and it will just be EE. Although it is the only 4G network in the UK at the moment so you are on the right track.

so you won't be with a phone provider? buy plans straight from ee or what, i thought it was like a universal term not a company, omg you're confusing me.

i swear the apple conference guy said it was like, not developed properly yet but will evolve into 4g?

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 12:51 PM
so you won't be with a phone provider? buy plans straight from ee or what, i thought it was like a universal term not a company, omg you're confusing me.

i swear the apple conference guy said it was like, not developed properly yet but will evolve into 4g?

There is two companies known as T-Mobile and Orange and they basically merged months ago if you remember that? Which means you've been using T-Mobile network and Oranges network depending on where you are.

Days before the iPhone 5 launch or near enough the same time a new company was announced and this is known as EE. This is basically T-Mobile and Orange under one name.

EE or Everything Everywhere is the company behind the whole Orange and T-Mobile network. You will be using EE's new 3G network.

So in a few years time you will not see "T-Mobile" or "Orange" it will be replaced by EE fully. But not isn't happening yet, they are doing it in stages.

iBlueBox
03-10-2012, 12:51 PM

oh, and it is quicker. much quicker. and better signal here.

My question was when does orange/t-mobile announce there phone plans for 4G, not when 4G starts. ;P

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 12:52 PM
My question was when does orange/t-mobile announce there phone plans for 4G, not when 4G starts. ;P

No one knows unless they have specifically said it. I would assume any time this month.

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
There is two companies known as T-Mobile and Orange and they basically merged months ago if you remember that? Which means you've been using T-Mobile network and Oranges network depending on where you are.

Days before the iPhone 5 launch or near enough the same time a new company was announced and this is known as EE. This is basically T-Mobile and Orange under one name.

EE or Everything Everywhere is the company behind the whole Orange and T-Mobile network. You will be using EE's new 3G network.

yes i know that ive been an orange customer for like 8 years :( constant texts telling whats happening.

Yeah i know that but if you're saying EE will replace it, won't EE also be used on other networks? Is EE just the new name for the 2 companies together? I thought it was just another type of signal, like 3g. You wouldn't say 3G was a company would you? idk so confused

probably round about when 4g comes out.....

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 12:55 PM
yes i know that ive been an orange customer for like 8 years :( constant texts telling whats happening.

Yeah i know that but if you're saying EE will replace it, won't EE also be used on other networks? Is EE just the new name for the 2 companies together? I thought it was just another type of signal, like 3g. You wouldn't say 3G was a company would you? idk so confused

probably round about when 4g comes out.....

O2, Vodafone, Three (the only main ones I care about) will be still known them when they start pushing 4G out which will be in 2013 or after.

EE is owned by the same company who owns T-Mobile/Orange and they have 4G first which starts in 2012 in certain locations and then expands into 2013. EE is a name of a company who provides the service - It isn't a signal such as 3G or 4G.

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 12:56 PM
O2, Vodafone, Three (the only main ones I care about) will be still known them when they start pushing 4G out which will be in 2013 or after.

EE is owned by the same company who owns T-Mobile/Orange and they have 4G first which starts in 2012 in certain locations and then expands into 2013.

OK THOUGHTS BEFORE

EE is a type of 3g/4g shift network

THOUGHTS NOW

EE is a company which (even though my phone says is getting EE service) uses 4g networks on phones

RIGHT?

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 12:57 PM
OK THOUGHTS BEFORE

EE is a type of 3g/4g shift network

THOUGHTS NOW

EE is a company which (even though my phone says is getting EE service) uses 4g networks on phones

RIGHT?

Yes, EE is a company. You are using EE's 3G network. EE is also own a 4G network which works on 4G phones when they start that up later this month.

As an Orange or T-Mobile customer you’ll now use EE’s new 3G network, the biggest in the UK, so soon you’ll start to see ‘EE’ on your phone or device screen

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes, EE is a company. You are using EE's 3G network. EE is also own a 4G network which works on 4G phones when they start that up later this month.

I SEE!! i was so confused. how comes this is much faster then even though it's the same as before?

and weren't apple talking about EE - surely it's just for orange/tmobile?

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I SEE!! i was so confused. how comes this is much faster then even though it's the same as before?

and weren't apple talking about EE - surely it's just for orange/tmobile?

I'm not sure why it is faster unless you are now starting to use T-Mobiles network and Oranges network in your location. Although I'm sure they did that months ago. They may as well just improved it for your area.

Apple did talk about EE and that is because the iPhone 5 only supports EE's 4G network. So in 2013 when companies like O2, Vodafone start launching their 4G network the iPhone 5 will only support the 3G network. The next iPhone should support all of them.

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure why it is faster unless you are now starting to use T-Mobiles network and Oranges network in your location. Although I'm sure they did that months ago, although they may as well just improved it for your area.

Apple did talk about EE and is because the iPhone 5 only supports EE's 4G network. So in 2013 when companies like O2, Vodafone start launching their 4G network the iPhone 5 will only support the 3G network. So the next iPhone should support all of them.

I got vodafone earlier, i don't even know why. The phone coverage isn't great here, being in the middle of nowhere, tucked behind a hill (unless you're at the uni) but yeah i'm getting 2-3 bars different now and it actually loads webpages...

and ah, so when the 5 comes out it will only be available on orange/tmobile at first? then expanding to the other networks in 2013?

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I got vodafone earlier, i don't even know why. The phone coverage isn't great here, being in the middle of nowhere, tucked behind a hill (unless you're at the uni) but yeah i'm getting 2-3 bars different now and it actually loads webpages...

and ah, so when the 5 comes out it will only be available on orange/tmobile at first? then expanding to the other networks in 2013?

iPhone 5 is out now, it works on all networks in the UK using 3G. The difference about the iPhone 5 is that it can also support networks that have 4G and in the UK only one network has that and will only support EE's 4G network due to the frequencies. The iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 should support all the UK 4G's networks if they are all up and going by then.

lawrawrrr
03-10-2012, 01:05 PM
iPhone 5 is out now, it works on all networks in the UK. The different about the iPhone 5 is that it can also support networks that have 4G and in the UK only one network has that and will only support EE's 4G network due to the frequencies. The iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 should support all the UK 4G's networks if they are all up and going by then.

i'm so confused i'm literally about to cry

i give up :(

right so it works on 4g but obviously this is now only available on EE phone carriers, righttttt?

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2012, 01:06 PM
i'm so confused i'm literally about to cry

i give up :(

right so it works on 4g but obviously this is now only available on EE phone carriers, righttttt?

Let me make this simple

iPhone 5 supports 3G and 4G networks. So at the moment all networks in the UK have 3G - So you can use the iPhone 5 on that network. If you want 4G for the faster speeds and what not and also have an iPhone 5 then you need to be a EE customer.

The iPhone 5 supports 4G frequencies that only the EE network own.

Recursion
03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
EE are releasing 4G into certain large customer areas within the next few months, you won't need a "4G" plan to do this, your current "3G" plan will do just fine.

Also, EE uses exactly the same network as T-Mobile and Orange, they're just changing the name of the network on everyone's phones, it won't be any slower or faster.

Tomm
03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
You'll need a new phone contract with EE to get 4G, any plan you can currently get at the moment with T-Mobile/Orange won't work. However, if you do currently have a contract with T-Mobile/Orange you can transfer to a new EE plan when they launch.

EE are releasing 4G into certain large customer areas within the next few months, you won't need a "4G" plan to do this, your current "3G" plan will do just fine.

Also, EE uses exactly the same network as T-Mobile and Orange, they're just changing the name of the network on everyone's phones, it won't be any slower or faster.

SorryDude
04-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Sprint,
unlimited calling, texting, data, roaming, and 4G. $60-$100/m.

~Sent using Tapatalk 2~

Tomm
04-10-2012, 07:55 AM
What is the point of this? We're talking about EE in the UK.

Sprint,

~Sent using Tapatalk 2~

Samantha
04-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Sprint,

~Sent using Tapatalk 2~

He's not American and thats expensive.

---------- Post added 04-10-2012 at 10:33 AM ----------

What is the point of this? We're talking about EE in the UK.

Also the original topic wasn't about EE it was release dates for contracts, think he was informing of a plan the OP could get.

xxMATTGxx
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM

---------- Post added 04-10-2012 at 10:33 AM ----------

Also the original topic wasn't about EE it was release dates for contracts, think he was informing of a plan the OP could get.

Well technically the thread is about EE as that is the only network in this country which will have 4G first.

HotelUser
05-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Let me make this simple

iPhone 5 supports 3G and 4G networks. So at the moment all networks in the UK have 3G - So you can use the iPhone 5 on that network. If you want 4G for the faster speeds and what not and also have an iPhone 5 then you need to be a EE customer.

The iPhone 5 supports 4G frequencies that only the EE network own.

It sounds like you guys are transitioning in the same way that much of North America did when we bumped up to HSPA. Before we did there was explicitly GSM and CDMA, but after there was only HSPA (but obviously all the speeds and frequencies used are different, and this is to do with 4g not 3g).

If that was for US or Canada then that's one of the best phone plans I've ever seen. For $63 a month here (which is a fairly standard monthly price) you would only get 1GB of data and 200 minutes.

e5
05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I got EE on T-mobile. It's no faster, yet.

Tomm
05-10-2012, 12:18 PM
It won't be unless you get a 4G LTE phone along with a new contract with EE.

Yeah, I got EE on T-mobile. It's no faster, yet.

xxMATTGxx
22-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Apparently they are being announced tomorrow.

xxMATTGxx
22-10-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/22/ee-details-uk-4g-pricing/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/22/3539628/ee-lte-price-plans

Tomm
22-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Absolute joke. Terrible pricing by EE, surprised if anyone will actually bother to sign up if they don't come up with some more sensible plans.

Just to add: on their 500mb plan if you could get the max speed lte offers you could use this in 40 seconds. Taking into account its unlikely you'll get the peak data speed then anywhere around 200 seconds is likely.

iBlueBox
22-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Pretty happy I didn't wait to be honest, and ordered my iPhone on friday.

Considering that 4G would still be limited across the country, so when I go to Uni theres a chance they wont even have 4G.

Worked out much better, getting the full monty plan on t-mobile, £219 for 32GB, £36 a month for 2000 mins, unlim text and unlim 3G internet.

peteyt
25-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Absolute joke. Terrible pricing by EE, surprised if anyone will actually bother to sign up if they don't come up with some more sensible plans.

Just to add: on their 500mb plan if you could get the max speed lte offers you could use this in 40 seconds. Taking into account its unlikely you'll get the peak data speed then anywhere around 200 seconds is likely.

I expected this to be honest. With the other networks not able to currently launch any 4G networks till the bidding is sorted it leaves Everything Everything with the market to themselves for some time and they also have the knowledge that those using the iPhone 5 which probably will be a large amount of users, will only be able to use their 4g network and not anyone elses (not until the next iphone is out but looking at the new ipad that could be in 6 months ha).

I read an interesting comment on one of the pricing links with a user stating its not Everything Everythings fault but OFCOMS which Is true really. Their supposed to make things fair and give consumers a fair choice but they've done the opposite.

Recursion
25-10-2012, 05:51 AM
I expected this to be honest. With the other networks not able to currently launch any 4G networks till the bidding is sorted it leaves Everything Everything with the market to themselves for some time and they also have the knowledge that those using the iPhone 5 which probably will be a large amount of users, will only be able to use their 4g network and not anyone elses (not until the next iphone is out but looking at the new ipad that could be in 6 months ha).

I read an interesting comment on one of the pricing links with a user stating its not Everything Everythings fault but OFCOMS which Is true really. Their supposed to make things fair and give consumers a fair choice but they've done the opposite.

To be fair, it's not EE's fault all the other carriers used their frequencies for 3G services. EE kept some back a few years ago for 4G and now everyone's crying like little *******.

Pricing is absolutely shocking though.

peteyt
25-10-2012, 04:35 PM
To be fair, it's not EE's fault all the other carriers used their frequencies for 3G services. EE kept some back a few years ago for 4G and now everyone's crying like little *******.

Pricing is absolutely shocking though.

But OFCOM could have said lets all wait. I just can't wait for it to become competitive.

xxMATTGxx
25-10-2012, 04:41 PM
But OFCOM could have said lets all wait. I just can't wait for it to become competitive.

No point waiting even further, we're already behind. Anyway, you aren't being forced to go to 4G or use them as a network people can wait! :P

samsaBEAR
26-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm tied into my contract till early 2014 so hopefully by then o2 will have a stable 4G network and won't be charging the stupid prices EE want.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!