PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling windows 7 when laptop wont even boot up?

Jssy
05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
The other day my laptop froze then wouldnt turn on at all. Toshiba said windows 7 is corrupt and my laptop is only an entry level so it's only got 1gb of memory. They said I should have set up some HDD discs when I got it but i swear there was never an option to do that. They said I could pay £30 to buy the discs off them, £70 to buy a new windows 7 copy or borrow a copy of windows 7 from someone since there's no guarentee that will fix it alone cos my hard drive might also be screwed. If so after I've done the disc thing they will send me a new hard drive. Bit pissed off tbh cos this laptop was only bought at christmas and has been in for repair 3 times already.

Its the Toshiba C660-2E1 and had windows 7 64 bit. My nana has given me a Windows 7 64 bit system repair disc. Only thing is I googled guides for reinstalling it when its corrupt and they show it when you can actually get on to the desktop. I cannot access my desktop since windows 7 is corrupt. It goes to the toshiba screen when I turn on, then a black screen with an enlarged mouse icon then a windows 7 screen but no loading at all and sometimes a system repair thing comes on saying fixing discs but it goes on endlessly like I'm talking about last time it did it it did it for 14 hours and nothing happened. Is there anyway I can reinstall windows 7 when I can't boot up to desktop? Thanks for any help seriously, I will appreciate it.

Tomm
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
You can boot directly off the Windows 7 CD. You'll normally be prompted to press a key when the computer is booting up to either select what device to boot from or to enter the BIOS. If you can just select what device to boot from then select the DVD drive otherwise when you are in the BIOS you'll need to alter it to boot from the DVD drive first rather than the internal hard drive. However if you don't get prompted to press some sort of key when booting then you should be able to find this information in the manual or you can try common keys like DEL, ESC, F1-F12, etc.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!