PDA

View Full Version : " *** " <-- What does it actually mean?

Ardemax
08-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi thereeeeee

Don't know where to post it but this seems appropriate

I'm writing a story for English and I'm opening up with a brief explanation of the situation, characters etc. and then I'm tempted to put "* * *" under one of the paragraphs.

Am I right in thinking it shows a change in time/setting etc.?

Like I want the next paragraph to take place like 6 months prior

cheeeeers peoples! :D

Kardan
08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I was always under the impression that it just meant a totally different scene, but obviously it can't be that, since we'd see it everyday - I'm also vaguely interested in this, I'm surprised I don't know - google time :)

Samantha
08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I remember being told it was a change in time, I was using it for flashbacks to show that it had happened previously etc. :).

lawrawrrr
08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Marks a significant passage in time or dramatically different scene (usually in perspective too). That's what I use it as and my tutor said last year!

Ardemax
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I was always under the impression that it just meant a totally different scene, but obviously it can't be that, since we'd see it everyday - I'm also vaguely interested in this, I'm surprised I don't know - google time :)

Attempted google. It's a hard question to ask haha.

Marks a significant passage in time or dramatically different scene (usually in perspective too). That's what I use it as and my tutor said last year!

I remember being told it was a change in time, I was using it for flashbacks to show that it had happened previously etc. :).

Thankyou both! Do I just do one space down, like a normal paragraph and just three "* * *"? :)

Kardan
08-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Thankyou both! Do I just do one space down, like a normal paragraph and just three "* * *"? :)

I found that too :P

Samantha
08-10-2012, 05:54 PM

I believe so, I centered the * * * and just went down a line :P.

Ardemax
08-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I believe so, I centered the * * * and just went down a line :P.

Thanks very much, reps+ to all!

lawrawrrr
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM

yeah its like

paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph fullstop.

paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph

so a paragraph break above and below it

FlyingJesus
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Generally it does mean a complete change in time or setting, so not just moving on to the next event perhaps. I don't think it's used all that much really, but if you are going to use it it's sometimes useful for moving in/out of dream sequences, or as you say to go back in a character's memory. The very best use of it that I've ever read is in a Roger Zelazny novel in the first-person narrative where the teller uses it very consciously to skip out a sex scene, but also to make the reader really feel connected to the character as though the book were really him telling it to you -

"It's getting chilly out here."
"Yes."
"Let's repair within."
"I'd like to repair."
I put down my cigar and we stood and she kissed me. So I put my arm around her trim and sparkling, blue-kept waist and we moved away from the bar, toward the archway, through the archway and beyond, into the house we were leaving.

Let's make it a triple-asterisk break...

but Zelazny was an absolute genius with everything he did so don't feel bad if you can't quite create that feeling in your school work :P

Ardemax
08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Generally it does mean a complete change in time or setting, so not just moving on to the next event perhaps. I don't think it's used all that much really, but if you are going to use it it's sometimes useful for moving in/out of dream sequences, or as you say to go back in a character's memory. The very best use of it that I've ever read is in a Roger Zelazny novel in the first-person narrative where the teller uses it very consciously to skip out a sex scene, but also to make the reader really feel connected to the character as though the book were really him telling it to you -

but Zelazny was an absolute genius with everything he did so don't feel bad if you can't quite create that feeling in your school work :P

Haha! Luckily I just have to do a 1,000 word first chapter of a distopian fiction story.

Cerys
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I believe it's a change in time.

I always think that it's a good place to stop off though. Like, if it's a massive chapter and I see one of those, I stop reading as it's a good place to stop, if you see what I mean.

Stephen
08-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I always thought it was when you avoid the filter
Edited by GoldenMerc - Please stay ontopic

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!