PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeping V3

Dentafrice
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted. Just thought I'd update you guys on a little project I'm working on. I wanted to expand upon a project that I had many, many years ago called Housekeeping. It was a nifty little DJ panel that a few sites used.

I made a V2 which I ended up not finishing, but I've set out to work creating V3. I'm not even sure that there is even a need out there for it anymore, but I want to get something up and release it open source just to have in my projects list.

You can view progress here: http://housekeeping.caleb.io

A few notes:

V3 will be coded in Ruby. This is my primary language these days and it doesn't seem logical for me to do it in PHP.
V3 will be fully open source. It will be on Github and users can contribute to it.
V3 will utilize many open source gems. A few that we are currently using are haml-rails (haml), twitter-bootstrap-rails.
V3 will utilize Twitter Bootstrap for it's UI, but can easily be changed in a few lines to other styles or variables (LESS variables for Bootstrap).
V3 will have an API which will allow it to become as modular and extensible as possible.
V3 will be easily deployable to Heroku, AWS Micro Instances, etc. Users should be able to use it even if their host doesn't support Rails. The API in V3 will allow PHP clients to grab things like "DJ Says", "Timetable", etc and have it hosted on Heroku, etc.

I don't have much more than this to show you at the moment. This is very much a work in progress, I'm using it to explore some new gems and new functionality such as Devise and CanCan that we don't use at work so it's teaching me a few new techniques.

Feel free to download a copy from Github and play around. You should be able to easily run it locally, but as you can tell it's not 1% complete.

http://i.imgur.com/7Uutz.png

Tomm
10-10-2012, 03:49 PM
This reminds me of the old times back when I made RadioPanel. If you're interested I'd be happy to contribute to this, drop me a PM if you want.

GoldenMerc
10-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Very respected project, look forward to seeing further progress!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dentafrice
10-10-2012, 08:55 PM
It was a fun time. You do much Ruby? The main thing I'm working on engineering out right now is the permissions system.. I want to do it right the first time.

Tomm
10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Yeah I almost exclusively use RoR for web development now. I normally use CanCan with rolify so I have more of an RBAC system going rather than just assigning abilities to users directly.

It was a fun time. You do much Ruby? The main thing I'm working on engineering out right now is the permissions system.. I want to do it right the first time.

Jack!
10-10-2012, 10:13 PM
If you need any help with basic designing, PHP or SQL I don't mind helping, Looks to be one of the first good projects for a while :)

efq
10-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Looking forward to this, it looks and sounds like an excellent project, but I wouldn't have expected anything less coming from you :)

Dentafrice
11-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah I almost exclusively use RoR for web development now. I normally use CanCan with rolify so I have more of an RBAC system going rather than just assigning abilities to users directly.

Ah, haven't heard of Rolify. My main plan was to have a Roles model and a user_roles (or something similar) join table. I'm going to shoot you a PM about Rolify.

Agnostic Bear
11-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Why ruby of all things?

Dentafrice
11-10-2012, 06:06 AM
That's what I do for a living, so it's relatively easy for me to do it in something that I do all day vs. PHP which I haven't done in many years.

Dentafrice
11-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Just pushed a new commit tonight.. did a little work in which you can see here: https://github.com/dentafrice/housekeeping/commit/cc4db6d4c5ce8eac039a809e8e655c2cd14ef476

I setup some base roles at the moment which is:
banned
staff (generic user)
admin
super_admin.

Admins can modify everyone but super admins. Super admins can modify other super admins as well.
If you are banned, you can only have one role... banned, all others get removed when ban is created.
If you are going from banned -> another role, banned gets removed automatically so there is no remove ban and then promote.

added banned functionality;
added roles using rolify;
updated locale file and removed signup text;
commented out ascii art;
added seed for an admin user (kind of an install file);
added rspec;
added specs for logging in and banned;
added factories;
added user specs (roles, abilities)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!