PDA

View Full Version : Hibernate sort of screen?

Samantha
10-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Basically, if I don't touch my laptop mouse for a while it'll just go on a black screen, sort of like a screen saver even though it says I don't have one. If I leave it even longer it will go to sleep.

Anyway, today I've noticed (and I believe this is the reason) that when I remove or attach a device - mouse, phone, bluetooth, (not charger) it'll just go on a black screen like as though it has the screensaver. I'm unsure what to do as sometimes I think it does it without connecting anything, I tested it with my usb mouse and it kept doing it for that and when I was connecting to my mum's phone via bluetooth it did it about 20 times.

Help appreciated!

efq
10-10-2012, 10:51 PM
That's weird, I've never come across it or can't find a resolution online for it...

Have you tried going into your battery options and in advance checking screensaver and energy saving options?

xxMATTGxx
10-10-2012, 11:17 PM
In terms of the first bit:

Basically, if I don't touch my laptop mouse for a while it'll just go on a black screen, sort of like a screen saver even though it says I don't have one. If I leave it even longer it will go to sleep.

Control Panel > Look for something called "Power Options" and look around in the settings. One of them will say it will turn your screen off after so many seconds or minutes. I would explain fully but not sure what Windows version you are running. You will also come across a setting that you can change to stop it from going to sleep as well.

Samantha
10-10-2012, 11:29 PM
efq; had a look couldn't find anything :(.

xxMATTGxx; Windows 7, found where you mean. So thanks for that!

I found there's options for USB things but that didn't help either.

Samantha
11-10-2012, 12:15 AM
It's doing it without inserting/removing anything from USB ports too.

Jack!
11-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Sounds like its a power issue, I know with my computer if it loses power for a second it stays on but it flickers, That or it could be a sign on the LCD that something is interfering, does it happen at anytime or only under heavy load?

Samantha
11-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Erm I'm unsure Jackabee; it's only just started to happen a few hours ago. I'll try later it might be due to how long it's been turned on :P.

mrwoooooooo
11-10-2012, 04:22 PM
if all else fails, system restore (h)

Chippiewill
11-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Sounds like its a power issue
Agreed, removing or plugging in a usb stick is probably maxing out the power draw from the battery/psu causing the main power drain (The screen) to turn off.

Samantha
11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I think it was due to it not being turned off for about 16 hours. It's fine now! Thank you though.

Chippiewill
11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I think it was due to it not being turned off for about 16 hours. It's fine now! Thank you though.
Was your laptop running hot? Fan could have been drawing a ton of power.

Samantha
11-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Was your laptop running hot? Fan could have been drawing a ton of power.

Think it was hot all day, it's fairly hot at the moment.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!