PDA

View Full Version : PC hibernation

AlexHenry
11-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I was really dizzy last night and sick so my PC was left on with a DVD paused. I left it two hours and then got out of bed to standby it - about 7pm. Then at about 3am it turned out of standby and I heard Skype turn off and the whole PC turn back on.

Why did this happen?

xxMATTGxx
11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I was really dizzy last night and sick so my PC was left on with a DVD paused. I left it two hours and then got out of bed to standby it - about 7pm. Then at about 3am it turned out of standby and I heard Skype turn off and the whole PC turn back on.

Why did this happen?

So you put it to standby and then a number of hours after it turned back on? Check Windows Update settings to see if its been set to install any updates at a specific time.

The only other thing I can think at the top of my head is if someone thing knocked your mouse or pressed a key on your keyboard.

lawrawrrr
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Mine does this sometimes, randomly turns on in the middle of the night. Literally no idea why.

xxMATTGxx
11-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Mine does this sometimes, randomly turns on in the middle of the night. Literally no idea why.

I remember that being early in the morning. If you go to Control Panel > Windows Updates > Change Settings and it will most likely have a time set so it will install/download updates at a specific time. This would then wake up the computer so it is able to do that and once changed it should then stop doing it.

lawrawrrr
11-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I remember that being early in the morning. If you go to Control Panel > Windows Updates > Change Settings and it will most likely have a time set so it will install/download updates at a specific time. This would then wake up the computer so it is able to do that.

Ahha! You genius. Thanks +rep!

Chippiewill
11-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Check Windows Update settings to see if its been set to install any updates at a specific time..

This is a likely cause, last night was when updates from Microsoft Patch Tuesday would be installed by most computers in the UK

xxMATTGxx
11-10-2012, 06:39 PM
This is a likely cause, last night was when updates from Microsoft Patch Tuesday would be installed by most computers in the UK

Indeed it was.

AlexHenry
12-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Okay thanks - nobody came in and I remember it saying at night it needed updates. Thanksss!!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!