PDA

View Full Version : USERVOICE: Improve Room Competitions

Jendro
11-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Hello everyone!

As a room builder, I don't think the current room competition judgement system has anything to do with building rooms. Therefore, I proposed something on the Uservoice forums.

Note: I don't blame geniuses like Financier, Rabbit, g.c.magic, etc. for getting votes in the smartest way to win the competitions! The flaw in the system is to blame, unfortunately ;)

Please vote for the following idea: http://habbo.uservoice.com/forums/176450-com-ideas-feedback/suggestions/3248180-improve-room-competition-judgement (http://habbo.uservoice.com/forums/176450-com-ideas-feedback/suggestions/3248180-improve-room-competition-judgement)

The problem I have with the current Room Competition Judgement system is that these 'Popularity Contests' don't have that much to do with room building creativity or aesthetically plausible rooms.

The problem:

When these competitions get democratized (i.e. when everyone can vote), the fundaments of the system at least should be fair. And this is hard when these competitions are very prone to corruption.
Now, as a result of the current system, people that host giveaways (or clone vote) win these competitions.
When people - with the equal right to vote (even clones of the same Habbo) - would have to choose between a room that gives them 1c when they vote, or a room that looks nice/creative, but leaves them empty-handed, people tend to choose for the most economical solution. Nevertheless, that makes the room competitions more like popularity contests for those who already have a lot of money on Habbo. Instead of spending this on improving their rooms, they rather spend this on gaining votes. And is this what we want for room competitions? People that make the most beautiful rooms get demotivated, and this doesn’t stimulate the creation of more beautiful rooms on this game.

Solutions:

1. A solution to this system would be to disable trading in the room until the competition has ended. Also, teleports linking to another room should be banned then (as people can make giveaway rooms linking to the room that needs votes). Furthermore, people would have to check whether the votes that are gained are obtained in a fair way. This would take a lot of time though. Making the voting requirements a lot harder is another additional solution. Yet, the quests to enable voting are getting longer, so that is already an improvement.

2. Another solution to this problem would be making staff pick some rooms, and let other users pick some rooms ‘democratically’. Staff would have to go through all room entries, and pick 5-10 entries that win. The other 5-10 entries get chosen with the current system. In this way you would combine both judgement systems. Both had their flaws, but together they make it at least a little bit more fair.

The two solutions mentioned above could be combined, also.

For improvement or comments, please comment over here, or at the Uservoice forums.

Red
11-10-2012, 08:40 PM
They are too lazy to even consider having staff pick the rooms. Paul complained that not enough people were entering comps before, but every time I look there seems to be less and less entries for these.

Aiden
11-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I think that the room competitions are stupid anyway and the staff wont visit every entry.

Michael
11-10-2012, 08:50 PM
They are too lazy to even consider having staff pick the rooms. Paul complained that not enough people were entering comps before, but every time I look there seems to be less and less entries for these.

Because the winners are the same every week, 2 pages of entries is like 100 entries. Pretty shocking, mind you the furniture to enter the room competition is a bit expensive!

Kyle
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Solution 3: Scrap the idea completely. Honestly, it's not worth bothering to offer any suggestions on these room 'competitions'. They added a buyable badge so people couldn't clone vote. People clone vote still, just buy the badge for their clones. Staff judgement would be nice in theory but it's not something that will ever happen in reality unfortunately.

Jendro
12-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Wow, I actually won last competition :O
Nevertheless, this still doesn't mean this voting system should change!
All vote for this Uservoice idea!! :)

http://habbo.uservoice.com/forums/176450-com-ideas-feedback/suggestions/3248180-improve-room-competition-judgement (http://habbo.uservoice.com/forums/176450-com-ideas-feedback/suggestions/3248180-improve-room-competition-judgement)

sex
12-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Wow, I actually won last competition :O
Nevertheless, this still doesn't mean this voting system should change!
All vote for this Uservoice idea!! :)

http://habbo.uservoice.com/forums/176450-com-ideas-feedback/suggestions/3248180-improve-room-competition-judgement (http://habbo.uservoice.com/forums/176450-com-ideas-feedback/suggestions/3248180-improve-room-competition-judgement)

well done! i seen you finally won. i voted for your idea also :)

Samantha
12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Solution 3: Scrap the idea completely. Honestly, it's not worth bothering to offer any suggestions on these room 'competitions'. They added a buyable badge so people couldn't clone vote. People clone vote still, just buy the badge for their clones. Staff judgement would be nice in theory but it's not something that will ever happen in reality unfortunately.

I voted without the badge, shows some flaw there too.

Jendro
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM

Well, scrap the idea of voting might be good too. :P
But room competitions should remain! They stimulate creativity and make Habbo fun!
Too bad you had the bias of staff picking favourites very often.

LiquidLuck.
13-10-2012, 08:24 AM
It's Sulake running Habbo.. they don't even bother changing anything.. The fact that you now need new rooms for competitions was as far as they went.

Kyle
13-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Well, scrap the idea of voting might be good too. :P
But room competitions should remain! They stimulate creativity and make Habbo fun!
Too bad you had the bias of staff picking favourites very often.
When this type of competition began I offered a few suggestions of my own to make them fairer. Some were taken on board and boosters were all but eliminated from the competition. Sadly, though, it seems as though whatever happens, it's always going to be those that are prepared to pay the most that are going to win, regardless of whether their design is as 'creative' as those that haven't got enough credits to fill 7 million tiles in a room.

I liked the way old room competitions were judged. Staff would look at ALL (or at least the majority of) entries and pick out the ones that looked the best. Okay, there was a little bit of favouritism, but I'd much prefer two or three people winning the competitions every week (bear in mind they still put effort into their rooms) than the same 8-10 people winning week in week out because they've worked the system out and are taking advantage. Sadly the CEO has said what he has to say on the idea of staff actually engaging with users and staff picking will never be an option.

If you look around habbo you'll notice that everywhere creativity was actually encouraged is slowly being taken away. Homepages, groups, forums, competitions that don't involve buying things (stories, poems, art, etc).... Even now the room competitions are dying because nobody is bothering as they already know what the result will be.

btw does this comp only give one vote per person or the usual three? and Samanfa; how?

Samantha
13-10-2012, 07:24 PM
When this type of competition began I offered a few suggestions of my own to make them fairer. Some were taken on board and boosters were all but eliminated from the competition. Sadly, though, it seems as though whatever happens, it's always going to be those that are prepared to pay the most that are going to win, regardless of whether their design is as 'creative' as those that haven't got enough credits to fill 7 million tiles in a room.

I liked the way old room competitions were judged. Staff would look at ALL (or at least the majority of) entries and pick out the ones that looked the best. Okay, there was a little bit of favouritism, but I'd much prefer two or three people winning the competitions every week (bear in mind they still put effort into their rooms) than the same 8-10 people winning week in week out because they've worked the system out and are taking advantage. Sadly the CEO has said what he has to say on the idea of staff actually engaging with users and staff picking will never be an option.

If you look around habbo you'll notice that everywhere creativity was actually encouraged is slowly being taken away. Homepages, groups, forums, competitions that don't involve buying things (stories, poems, art, etc).... Even now the room competitions are dying because nobody is bothering as they already know what the result will be.

btw does this comp only give one vote per person or the usual three? and Samanfa; how?

Which comps required you to buy a badge? Was it just the Yacht party or the other 2 as well?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!