PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office University

Mr-Trainor
16-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Ok so I was looking for an Access trial, but then came across Microsoft Office University
(http://store.digitalriver.com/store/msshgb/en_GB/DisplaySHProductDetailsPage/productID.242145400)

It seems that I'd be able to buy it from just being in College - not University, as I have a .ac.uk email address. However, I was just wondering if anyone has bought it before and if you know how many PCs you can install it on?

GoldenMerc
16-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Im fairly sure when i was at college i got given this stuff for free? pretty sure Recursion; can help you out with this one mind

xxMATTGxx
16-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Im fairly sure when i was at college i got given this stuff for free? pretty sure Recursion; can help you out with this one mind

Depends on the college if you get it free or not to be honest. As a student you can get Office for cheap - In terms of that version I have a feeling it's not a product key activation so when you stopped going to college/Uni then it may no longer work if you need to activate it again.

Kardan
16-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Through my University we were able to get Microsoft Office for £50 last year, so it might be cheaper to buy it through your college/Uni than through other websites, pretty sure Microsoft has a link to it somewhere on their website as well.

Kieran
16-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I got it for a tenner through my company >:]

Tomm
16-10-2012, 02:32 PM
It says on that site he linked that is a perpetual license and that the product key is emailed to your .ac email address. Also it says that in addition to the single computer it is licensed for you can install it on an additional portable device which seems to imply you could have it installed on your desktop machine and a laptop as well.

Depends on the college if you get it free or not to be honest. As a student you can get Office for cheap - In terms of that version I have a feeling it's not a product key activation so when you stopped going to college/Uni then it may no longer work if you need to activate it again.

xxMATTGxx
16-10-2012, 02:50 PM
It says on that site he linked that is a perpetual license and that the product key is emailed to your .ac email address. Also it says that in addition to the single computer it is licensed for you can install it on an additional portable device which seems to imply you could have it installed on your desktop machine and a laptop as well.

Ah, I was reading something and it mentioned about it you having to log in to verify instead of the product key method. Fair enough if that is the case then.

lawrawrrr
16-10-2012, 03:02 PM
The one I have was 80 quid for 3 installations (I think). Try looking on softwareforstudents, as that's where I ussually get mine!

But xxMATTGxx; is right about the activation; you have to go online and verify your school email address to make sure you're eligible. Once it's verified, it then displays the product key. If you're just in college you might need to see if you're eligible for it - they wouldn't accept my sister's email account for a product she bought a few months back, but she's in year 11.

Kardan
16-10-2012, 03:28 PM
The one I have was 80 quid for 3 installations (I think). Try looking on softwareforstudents, as that's where I ussually get mine!

But xxMATTGxx; is right about the activation; you have to go online and verify your school email address to make sure you're eligible. Once it's verified, it then displays the product key. If you're just in college you might need to see if you're eligible for it - they wouldn't accept my sister's email account for a product she bought a few months back, but she's in year 11.

Year 11 isn't college, Years 12+ is.

Tomm
16-10-2012, 03:29 PM
He is talking about the software activation after you enter the product key when installing the software. The activation I think you are referring to is just simply the verification they do prior to giving you a product key.

But @xxMATTGxx (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=1020); is right about the activation; you have to go online and verify your school email address to make sure you're eligible. Once it's verified, it then displays the product key. If you're just in college you might need to see if you're eligible for it - they wouldn't accept my sister's email account for a product she bought a few months back, but she's in year 11.

lawrawrrr
16-10-2012, 03:39 PM

I know... but it says on the site that it's eligible for school and university age students... some colleges are attatched to schools. Mine was - the same email that my sister has, and that wasn't eligible. (school not found, not 'youre not old enough).

He is talking about the software activation after you enter the product key when installing the software. The activation I think you are referring to is just simply the verification they do prior to giving you a product key.

I only read the 'log in instead of product key' which is kinda true, you do have to log in on MS website to buy a product key, which is used when installing (verifying) the software?

Tomm
16-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah but that was not the potential problem he was trying to raise, obviously you need to verify your eligibility before they let you buy the product key. Rather, he was wondering if you could use the software you'd already bought whilst at college/uni after you'd left college/uni. It appears from looking at the site that you get a product key for a perpetual license meaning that you can actually continue to use the software after you'd left uni/college.

I know... but it says on the site that it's eligible for school and university age students... some colleges are attatched to schools. Mine was - the same email that my sister has, and that wasn't eligible. (school not found, not 'youre not old enough).

I only read the 'log in instead of product key' which is kinda true, you do have to log in on MS website to buy a product key, which is used when installing (verifying) the software?

Kardan
16-10-2012, 03:50 PM

My school was a 'community college', but I was only considered in college from Years 12+, if you're not in further education, you're in school, hence why your sister couldn't get it.

lawrawrrr
16-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah but that was not the potential problem he was trying to raise, obviously you need to verify your eligibility before they let you buy the product key. Rather, he was wondering if you could use the software you'd already bought whilst at college/uni after you'd left college/uni. It appears from looking at the site that you get a product key for a perpetual license meaning that you can actually continue to use the software after you'd left uni/college.

When I bought my copy they didn't have University MS, but I have the Student one which is basically the same (pretty much the same price, same programs), and once you've got that it's there for good, so I assume the University one will be the same. It's a matter of whether they'll accept a college email as verification because that's clearly not university.

---------- Post added 16-10-2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

My school was a 'community college', but I was only considered in college from Years 12+, if you're not in further education, you're in school, hence why your sister couldn't get it.

Let me put it this way.

At my school (years 7-13), everyone has the same email address. No matter what year. It's like, [email protected] (for example). Therefore, me and my sister had the same email. Except when she tried to buy MSO, they said her email wasn't valid - therefore mine wouldn't be valid either, despite me technically being in the college part of the school, and her younger. So why would they have accepted mine? I don't know how they distinguish between what year you're in, seeing as emails don't give away the school year you're in. It must depend on the college - which was my original point - Luke will have to see if his college is valid to purchase MSO with, as mine was not.

Tomm
16-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Nothing Matt or I were discussing has anything to do with validating your eligibility for the software. Also it is very clear on the website linked what emails are valid so I'm not sure why there would be any issues arising from that point:

Individual must possess a valid e-mail address a UK educational institution which contains the domain suffix 'ac.uk', 'ac.im', 'ac.gg', 'ac.je' or'open.ac.uk'. If the domain suffix is 'open.ac.uk' then staff/students do not need to meet the minimum contact and/or working/teaching time requirements outlined in point 2 below.

AND

If you are a student, you must be enrolled in a tertiary education institution geographically located in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man. If you are a Higher Education student, you must be enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate level course. If you are a Further Education student, you must have at least 15 hours of scheduled contact time for your course. If you are a member of staff, you must be employed (at least 8 hours or 4 teaching hours per week) at an education institution geographically located in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man

When I bought my copy they didn't have University MS, but I have the Student one which is basically the same (pretty much the same price, same programs), and once you've got that it's there for good, so I assume the University one will be the same. It's a matter of whether they'll accept a college email as verification because that's clearly not university.

Mr-Trainor
16-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Im fairly sure when i was at college i got given this stuff for free? pretty sure @Recursion; can help you out with this one mind

Through my University we were able to get Microsoft Office for £50 last year, so it might be cheaper to buy it through your college/Uni than through other websites, pretty sure Microsoft has a link to it somewhere on their website as well.

I got it for a tenner through my company >:]
Yeah my college doesn't offer anything like that where we can buy it through them. And I already have the Home&Student 2010 but the reason I'm looking at this one is because I need Access 2007/2010 for ICT.

Ah, I was reading something and it mentioned about it you having to log in to verify instead of the product key method. Fair enough if that is the case then.
Hmm I'm not sure about this. I was looking online earlier and came across this:

It looks like the licensing has changed slightly from the Office Professional Academic 2010 SKU that Office University 2010 replaces. With Pro Acad you could install it on your primary computer (e.g. a desktop) and a portable device (e.g. laptop) which was used exclusively by you. With University it appears to be only a single license with no secondary/portable install rights.

If that is the case, then that's annoying. I have a PC and a laptop, plus I'd want to install it on a MacBook when I get it later this year (bootcamp). So preferably I need it to allow install on at least 2 computers.

But @xxMATTGxx; is right about the activation; you have to go online and verify your school email address to make sure you're eligible. Once it's verified, it then displays the product key. If you're just in college you might need to see if you're eligible for it - they wouldn't accept my sister's email account for a product she bought a few months back, but she's in year 11.

I know... but it says on the site that it's eligible for school and university age students... some colleges are attatched to schools. Mine was - the same email that my sister has, and that wasn't eligible. (school not found, not 'youre not old enough)

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Nothing Matt or I were discussing has anything to do with validating your eligibility for the software. Also it is very clear on the website linked what emails are valid so I'm not sure why there would be any issues arising from that point:
I'm in year 13 so my age/year isn't a problem, and I'm just assuming that I'm eligible, but haven't actually checked yet.

lawrawrrr
16-10-2012, 08:12 PM

I'm in year 13 so my age/year isn't a problem, and I'm just assuming that I'm eligible, but haven't actually checked yet.

I was saying that Matt was probably getting the verification thing confused between purchasing and validating. That's all. And my school email wasn't valid, which was why I was bringing up that point.

GommeInc
16-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Have Microsoft changed the way you can access this? They used to let you buy Microsoft Office Professional for around £30 if you had a .sch.uk e-mail. I'm sure the offer on software4students allowed this, as well as the .ac.uk address :/ They might of changed it within the last 2 years.

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Have Microsoft changed the way you can access this? They used to let you buy Microsoft Office Professional for around £30 if you had a .sch.uk e-mail. I'm sure the offer on software4students allowed this, as well as the .ac.uk address :/ They might of changed it within the last 2 years.

Yeah it was changed within the past 12 months.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!