PDA

View Full Version : Death by choice: Should it be allowed? [ENDS 11/11/2012]

Grig
27-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Death by choice: Should it be allowed?
Ends: 11/11/2012

This can also be classed as the euthanasia debate. It's a practice, perfectly legal in some countries such as Netherlands and Belgium that allows the practice by doctors. However, in many others it's considered as a homicide.

Those who are for such a practice say that people should have a choice over their own life, to relieve pain and suffering. For example, one who suffers an incurable form of cancer (in a developed stage) may choose a quick and painless death over a prolonged and painful one.

However, as mentioned earlier, the other side of such a debate is that it is homicide, and a doctor in such a practice could be branded as a 'murderer' in many countries. Some argue that it is against religion and that every life is worth saving.

I won't go into anymore details of the arguments. Without further ado, happy debating!

Empired
27-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Of course it should be allowed. If you want to end your life that much but you're not allowed to have it done painlessly I'm sure that's not going to stop you with a kitchen knife or something. Although it's a horrible thing I would rather it was done safely, quickly and painlessly than leaving you bleeding slowly on your kitchen floor for hours. I would hate to be the one who finds someone dead on their floor too.

Eric
27-10-2012, 11:01 AM
If people have a right to life, they should have the right to die. Prolonging the life of a terminally-ill person or a person who has virtually become a vegetable is only going to cause more sufferings and problems. I think voluntary euthanasia and assisted suicide should be lawful.

Cerys
27-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I feel it should be allowed for people to end their lives, but in a few cases some people may be forced by others to claim they want to die, therefore the person who forced them basically murders them in a different more 'secretive' way, if you see what I mean.

I think if you meet certain 'guidelines' you should be allowed to die.

Futz
27-10-2012, 03:08 PM
I think it should only be allowed if the person is unable to kill themselves without assist such as a veggie in hospital or else you'd get a bunch of teens killing themselves because they're going through a bit of **** at school, also thinking about suicide and actually doing it are two totally different things, imagine filling all the forms out to be killed and you wouldnt have the opportunity to back out at the last second, after the nurse injects you, regrets kick in

If you really want to kill yourself, you'd use one of the popular adopted methods designated on tumblr

Rcsiee
27-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I think in certain situations it should be allowed because if that person is in so much pain and they have been given a few weeks to live and don't think they can go on, then I believe that person should be able to end their own life.
But on the other hand if that person wants to die and is asking someone else to help them, for example if a mother asks their son then I don't think this should be allowed, because the person isn't physically doing it themselves and if they want to change their mind then their faith is in someone else's hands.

-:Undertaker:-
27-10-2012, 03:27 PM
If the person has consented then yes.

Sian
27-10-2012, 03:32 PM
yeh definitely, everyone has that right, including for assisted suicide. I get that it would take many years to have that law introduced however, it's a very tricky thing to setup correctly without it being abused.

karter
27-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I find it brutal that people ask for mercy killing the governments deny their request. and I have seen PRETTY bad cases, their life is already hell and you are forcing them to live in the pitiful condition

geo
27-10-2012, 06:44 PM
yeah, in some cases i think death by choice should be allowed. it really does depend on the persons quality of life though imo.

the.games
27-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I think that people have the right to die as well as the right to life, and that assisted suicide should be allowed in certain circumstances.

In my opinion, it should be up to the judiciary to whether someone can have assisted suicide along with a jury. This is because people could in effect murder the vulnerable and then say it was assisted suicide, and allowing this makes loopholes in the legal system. In my opinion the right to die unnaturally should only be considered for those that either have a guarantee that they will die before their time and that this will be a painful one, OR that their life causes them pain and suffering.

Jurv
28-10-2012, 03:14 PM
no it shouldn't. i don't believe in allowing people to die because they want to. it would be different story if they were in a vegetative state, but otherwise, no. if they're having suicidal thoughts then they should see someone who can help make their lives better or whatever. if it was allowed then people would be killing themselves over not getting likes on fb or something.

CigaretteBirdie
01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I think it should be allowed..if someone wants to die..then thats there choice.
However..say if someone has a disability..maybe they are paralyzed and can't move..however they wanted to die..the only way that would happen is if they asked someone else..and I dont think thats fair..I think thats a horrible thing to ask of someone...I mean..imagine how they would feel with that on their conscience for the rest of their lives.
I dont actually know now if I do think it should be allowed..not that I'm thinking about the full picture. Keep changing my mind..xD But this a hard choice. Hm..I guess if it came to such a point that you just...really couldnt handle it anymore..then something would have to be done..but i dont know. o.o x

Catchy
01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Death by choice: Should it be allowed?
Ends: 11/11/2012

This can also be classed as the euthanasia debate. It's a practice, perfectly legal in some countries such as Netherlands and Belgium that allows the practice by doctors. However, in many others it's considered as a homicide.

Those who are for such a practice say that people should have a choice over their own life, to relieve pain and suffering. For example, one who suffers an incurable form of cancer (in a developed stage) may choose a quick and painless death over a prolonged and painful one.

However, as mentioned earlier, the other side of such a debate is that it is homicide, and a doctor in such a practice could be branded as a 'murderer' in many countries. Some argue that it is against religion and that every life is worth saving.

I won't go into anymore details of the arguments. Without further ado, happy debating!

Are you talking about if someone is terminally ill yeah? Because I think some people have the wrong end of the stick in this thread... Think they're thinking anyone would be allowed to do it if they wanted to lol...

Teabags
01-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I think it's fine really. But if you cause trauma to others you should have to face some kind of fine.

Besides anyone truly wanting to die can quite easily?

02-11-2012, 06:25 AM
I think it's fine really. But if you cause trauma to others you should have to face some kind of fine.

Besides anyone truly wanting to die can quite easily?

Whether I cause upset or 'trauma' to others is absolutely not the business of anybody but myself.

no it shouldn't. i don't believe in allowing people to die because they want to. it would be different story if they were in a vegetative state, but otherwise, no. if they're having suicidal thoughts then they should see someone who can help make their lives better or whatever. if it was allowed then people would be killing themselves over not getting likes on fb or something.

If people wish to kill themselves over Facebook then why is that any business of ours?

Wig44.
04-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Whether I cause upset or 'trauma' to others is absolutely not the business of anybody but myself.

People abusing each other is probably the root cause of societal degeneration.

Explorator
04-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Personally, this is a strange topic for me; I find that you should be allowed to take your life, or get doctors to do, because it is your life, and your choice.

06-11-2012, 09:55 PM
People abusing each other is probably the root cause of societal degeneration.

You can't legislate on manners.

The Don
09-11-2012, 03:54 PM

If people wish to kill themselves over Facebook then why is that any business of ours?

Something called compassion... Why shouldn't we prevent someone from killing themselves if we are able to do so?

09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Something called compassion... Why shouldn't we prevent someone from killing themselves if we are able to do so?

Because that's not your call to make in a free society.

You can offer them help by all means, but to force somebody to adhere to your opinions and beliefs? no.

The same applies to people who want to eat McDonalds everyday, smoke heavy, take drugs etc - stupid, but their choice.

The Don
09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Because that's not your call to make in a free society.

You can offer them help by all means, but to force somebody to adhere to your opinions and beliefs? no.

The same applies to people who want to eat McDonalds everyday, smoke heavy, take drugs etc - stupid, but their choice.

Anybody contemplating suicide due to depression and not of sound mind should be helped just as much as anybody who is homeless or ill, unless of course you're against helping those too? and if you are in favour of not helping people who are ill e.g suffering from cancer then there really isn't any point in having a debate over it since we clearly have different levels of empathy/morality

09-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Anybody contemplating suicide due to depression and not of sound mind should be helped just as much as anybody who is homeless or ill, unless of course you're against helping those too? and if you are in favour of not helping people who are ill e.g suffering from cancer then there really isn't any point in having a debate over it since we clearly have different levels of empathy/morality

To die by cancer isn't a choice, to die by suicide is a choice.

I'm not saying I want people to kill themselves, obviously if charities provide enough help services then hopefully many can be prevented - but to implement a law saying it is illegal to take your own life? not only is it ridiculous as nobody would be (or is) charged under it, but its fundementally anti-liberty.

I own my body, not the state.

The Don
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
To die by cancer isn't a choice, to die by suicide is a choice.

I'm not saying I want people to kill themselves, obviously if charities provide enough help services then hopefully many can be prevented - but to implement a law saying it is illegal to take your own life? not only is it ridiculous as nobody would be (or is) charged under it, but its fundementally anti-liberty.

I own my body, not the state.

I never mentioned any laws... anybody who wants to take their own life (unless there are other external factors such as terminal illness etc) are more than likely not of sound mind = not thinking rationally which is why safeguards should be in place to prevent pointless deaths. You seem to think I'm advocating in favour of a law or something which I've never once said...

10-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I never mentioned any laws... anybody who wants to take their own life (unless there are other external factors such as terminal illness etc) are more than likely not of sound mind = not thinking rationally which is why safeguards should be in place to prevent pointless deaths. You seem to think I'm advocating in favour of a law or something which I've never once said...

Unless they are insane by classic standards then no action ought to be taken by the state.

And yes you are are you not? you are advocating the state intervene and prevent people from taking their own lives?

Chippiewill
11-11-2012, 03:03 AM
but to implement a law saying it is illegal to take your own life? not only is it ridiculous as nobody would be (or is) charged under it
In general laws implemented for this purpose will state that it is illegal to attempt to take your own life. Not that this is a successful deterrent as it only affects those unlucky enough to fail and it doesn't tackle the real problem which is the motive behind the act.

The Don
11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Unless they are insane by classic standards then no action ought to be taken by the state.

And yes you are are you not? you are advocating the state intervene and prevent people from taking their own lives?

Yes, but what would introducing a law do? it's hardly a deterrent if somebody wants to take their life which means they won't be around to be charged (which should never be the case anyway). I'm advocating state intervention, yes, by funding help etc, if you read every post I've made in this thread I've never used the word punish but the word help. If you agree that there should be state funded help to prevent suicide then we're on the same page...

Yaldi!
13-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Your life is your own. If it's that bad that you want to get rid of it, then I guess it's your choice and shuld be aloud. Obviously these things should be well thought through though!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!